hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close - yeah right. 1 year at least.

Started by Destraex, February 25, 2017, 06:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

When I see a trailer I will believe. But when this comes it is a must see for me. I wonder if they will show the German side from the civilian perspective.
Please please no girlfriends in England for an episode tardiness. That was horrible in "pacific". Stick to the story and don't try to be arty farty. :P
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

besilarius

If you've never read it, Len Deighton's book, Bomber, is on a night raid by RAF.  Does a very good job of portraying almost every aspect of a major raid for both sides.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on February 25, 2017, 07:54:19 AM
If you've never read it, Len Deighton's book, Bomber, is on a night raid by RAF.  Does a very good job of portraying almost every aspect of a major raid for both sides.

+1
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Destraex

It seems that "bomber" is based on fictional events? I expected it would be fairly historically accurate.
Is the novel more comparable to Bernard Cornwell historical novels, having fictional characters surrounded by very well researched real events. Historical notes at the end?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6U0e5DUdNQ

Silent Disapproval Robot

Fictional crews but based on real events.  There's also "Goodbye Mickey Mouse" which is another work of historical fiction similar to "Bomber" but it's about an American fighter unit.

Destraex

Does the american one have the German perspective in equal amounts?

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's been a long time since I read it but I don't think there was anything from the German perspective in it.  Much more about the relationship stresses between the Americans on the base and the Brits in Norfolk.

JasonPratt

The series itself is based on Don Miller's Masters of the Air (also the original name of the series). Haven't read that myself yet, but it seems relevant to what related books to read. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on February 25, 2017, 06:28:53 AM
Please please no girlfriends in England for an episode tardiness. That was horrible in "pacific". Stick to the story and don't try to be arty farty. :P

Now, Dest.. 

How often do you see Hollywood not shoehorn some kind of love story into the middle of their ultra-violence?  A rarity.

Even when they attempt to keep it to a minimum, it ends up being awkward and/or plastic.

Con

I dunno

The love interest for Spring Time for Hitler A Gay Romp With Eva and Adolf at Berchtesgaden was pretty central to the movie