Main Menu

Kodi T95X

Started by Barthheart, February 21, 2017, 08:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Just got and installed one of these this weekend:

https://www.amazon.ca/GooBang-Doo-Android-Amlogic-Playing/dp/B01IT96J1M

It's an Android box that's basically a Media Server in the a package the size of a cigarette package. Comes with a remote and power cord. You supply a HDMI cable.

We're using it for streaming movies and TV shows for now... until I figure out how to access all my digital music.

Setup for watching video took about 10 minutes, including connecting the cables. It come preloaded with software for streaming. This particular ones uses something called Exodus.

Overall the thing is very easy to use. Exodus finds many sources to stream and you can choose around until you find one that is of good quality to watch. Full HD capable. I was even able to find the right setup for the remote to have my Harmony One take over.

It'll be interesting to see what my internet download totals are for the up coming month...

Anyone else try this stuff out yet? Any ideas or advice for using the thing?

Staggerwing

I bought an android stick a while back but was never able to get it to connect to wifi so it went into my 'will get to it someday' pile.

What's the advantage over, say, a Roku box if one already has Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, etc?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

No clue what the advantages might be. Just stumbled into this myself. Other than the device cost there is no service I need to belong to.
It's in the "grey market" area up here... streaming is not illegal but downloading non-purchased media is... So I am not sure how long this will stay grey in Canada so it could become a dongle at any time I suppose....