Kaiser's Pirates

Started by Staggerwing, February 05, 2017, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I saw a copy of this for sale for under $30 inc/ shipping. Anyone here have it? Should I get it? How does it play? How is the solitaire play?

There's also a P500 reprint in the works at GMT for $34 but I've no idea when it will get printed and ship.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

I have it.

It's okay, from what little I've experienced of it.  One of those games where every player has both attacker and defender (raiders & merchants) cards.  You play action cards from your hand to attack/defend your opponents, and sometimes roll dice to determine exact effects.

The setup kinda reminds me of the old Atlantic Storm but instead of having a more traditional trick-taking "highest suit value wins" method, it uses action cards (which are a bit more appropriate to the theme) to help/hinder your attacks & die rolls against specific ship/raider cards in front of each player to sink & score points.

I played the solitaire game once or twice.  It's a bit different from the multi-player game in that you remove a few specific actions cards, and perhaps run the round a bit differently.  As far as solitaire games go, I have plenty other more interesting ones I'd rather break out.  It doesn't stand out for that; I think it's likely more enjoyable as a multi-player game.

It doesn't have some amazing narrative or anything.  But it's a fairly light card game with which you can sink some friends.  I suppose the Beer & Pretzel moniker would apply.

Staggerwing

Thanks Nef. I decided to let the game slide for now. I can still always get in on the P500 in the future.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

ArizonaTank

It was a great "filler" game at the game club.  When the main game ended early and you still had a group and 2 hours left. 

But yes, beer and pretzels.  Not something I would typically play solo however.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.