Fukushima Reactor Breach?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, February 05, 2017, 04:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

So, this can't be good.  Oh well, I'm sure all the lead I absorbed as a kid growing up in a lead refinery town will save me.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/243904-fukushimas-reactor-2-far-radioactive-previously-realized-no-sign-containment-breach

chemkid

Quote[...]
Despite how it's being reported, this isn't some brand-new crisis or failure, but it's going to make life more difficult and expensive for those attempting to clean up the mess.
:-\

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

egg_salad

It will be pretty impressive if the reactor vessel managed to contain the fuel, even after all the other backups failed.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Sir Slash

Sounds "Fuk-U-Shimed-Up" to me. Another Chernobyl? On a good note however, they could tell Iran, "Here's your new supply of Nuclear Fuel. Just come pick it up".
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

egg_salad

Much better reactor design and operating principles than Chernobyl, smaller impact.  Not really that similar, aside from both involving radiation releases from nuclear power plants.   Both really bad, of course, but Chernobyl was much worse.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Sir Slash

Everything I've read suggests that Chernobyl could have been avoided or at least made much less worse but for the Soviet Bureaucracy's 'Don't-rock-the-Boat' attitude and you're right they not really similar events only in that they both involved radiation leaks.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Swatter

Excellent program on Chernobyl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITEXGdht3y8

The reactor mass in Chernobyl also melted through the containment vessel, google the term "Elephants Foot" to see pictures.

The thing about Fukushima is that I believe four reactors melted down, not just one.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

The TV show, "What On Earth" featured a satellite photo that had been redacted into an empty field near the town but when investigated further turned out to have been changed to hide hundreds of vehicles, tanks, and helicopters used for the radiation containment. The vehicles will forever be too radioactive to be used safely and were left in a fenced field to rot. They tried to disguise the vehicles to keep scavengers from salvaging radioactive parts for the Black Market.

bbmike

I really thought JasonPratt would have made a Godzilla comment in this thread by now.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

undercovergeek

Quote from: bbmike on February 07, 2017, 01:37:55 PM
I really thought JasonPratt would have made a Godzilla comment in this thread by now.  :P

You have to say it 5 times in a mirror and then he appears behind like Timothy claypole

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

The Shin Godzilla film does hearken thematically to the Fukushima nuclear breach, among other recent disasters such as the earthquake/tsunami that initiated the disaster in the first place.

Most of that video is collected footage from people filming the disasters in various places.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!