Quebec Mosque Attack

Started by mirth, January 30, 2017, 10:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

A terrible thing to happen, regardless.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Shelldrake on February 01, 2017, 07:32:27 AM
Pretty clear now that this horrendous act was a hate crime that in my mind also counts as far-right terrorism.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-alexandre-bissonnette-profile-1.3959581

Sounds fair enough. I mean, strictly speaking, Islamic terrorism is farrrrrrrr-right terrorism, too.

When the left finally figures that out...  :hide:

Oh, wait, I forgot! -- the left remembers this when it's time to smear all religious belief as inherently evil, especially Christianity.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Freyland

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 01, 2017, 09:51:58 AM

Oh, wait, I forgot! -- the left remembers this when it's time to smear all religious belief as inherently evil, especially Christianity.

That's a fairly biased and offensive wide brush stroke from someone as intelligent as yourself.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Freyland on February 01, 2017, 11:51:21 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 01, 2017, 09:51:58 AM

That's a fairly biased and offensive wide brush stroke from someone as intelligent as yourself.

Point taken; I meant certain political and cultural activists on the far left. They don't represent all the left any more than pestilently far-right activists (e.g. Islamic terrorists, or that cretin in the topic) represent all the right, and I shouldn't let my occasional annoyance with the extremists lead me to group them together en masse.  :peace:

While I'm at it, as I said I wouldn't be surprised if this was Muslim-on-Muslim violence (rare though that is in this hemisphere) -- but neither am I surprised if it's a single white hater. While I agree there are aspects of the story and police coverage that seem a bit hinky (and the political attempt at tying it to bash Trump is typically unfair), I know enough of how stories and perceptions can get jumbled to believe a lot of the discrepancies come from that and not from an intentional conspiracy. The Rebel Media video is taking any opportunity to paint a conspiracy, and that's overreacting off the other side of the horse.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 01, 2017, 12:24:27 PM

While I'm at it, as I said I wouldn't be surprised if this was Muslim-on-Muslim violence (rare though that is in this hemisphere) -- but neither am I surprised if it's a single white hater.

This is how it is reported over here :

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/1.2879654 
Bissonette is een student politieke wetenschappen aan de universiteit van Laval, die vlak bij de moskee ligt. Volgens de organisatie Bienvenue aux Réfugiés - Ville de Québec stond de 27-jarige Canadees bekend als aanhanger van de extreemrechtse Franse politica Marine Le Pen, als pro-Israël, anti-immigratie en antifeministisch. Op screenshots van zijn profielen op de sociale media is ook te zien dat hij de Amerikaanse president Donald Trump volgt. Volgens kennissen is hij een "introverte, onpopulaire nerd", schrijft Le Journal de Québec. Bissonette had een half uur na de schietpartij zelf de politie gebeld en verklaard dat hij zich wilde overgeven.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/buitenland/1.2880604
Fox News heeft de foute informatie die ze verspreid hadden over de aanslag in Québec op vraag van de Canadese premier Justin Trudeau verwijderd. Het nieuwsmedium had na de terreurdaad gemeld dat de verdachte van Marokkaanse origine was, maar de vermoedelijke terrorist is een blanke Canadees met extreemrechtse sympathieën. "Deze tweets van Fox onteren de herinnering van de slachtoffers", klinkt het.
Enkele dagen geleden zijn in Québec 6 mensen doodgeschoten in een moskee. Een man van Marokkaanse origine die getuige was geweest van de schietpartij en de hulpdiensten had gebeld, werd onder meer door Fox News foutief aangehaald als mogelijke dader van de aanslag. De vermoedelijke terrorist is een 27-jarige blanke Canadees met extreemrechtse sympathieën.

Google Translate :

Bissonnette is a student of political science at the University of Laval, which is near the mosque. According to the organization Bienvenue aux Réfugiés - Ville de Québec was the 27-year-old Canadian is known as a supporter of the far-right French politician Marine Le Pen, as pro-Israel, anti-immigration and anti-feminist. Screenshots of his profiles on social media can also be seen that he follows the US president Donald Trump. According to acquaintances, he is an "introverted, unpopular nerd," writes Le Journal de Québec. Bissonnette had called half an hour after the shooting itself, the police and stated that he wanted to surrender.

Fox News has the wrong information they spread away on the attack in Quebec at the request of the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The news media had reported after the terrorist act which was accused of Moroccan origin, but the suspected terrorist is a white Canadian with far-right sympathies. "These tweets Fox dishonor the memory of the victims", he says.
A few days ago in Quebec six people shot dead at a mosque. A man of Moroccan origin who had witnessed had called the shooting and emergency services, amongst other things falsely quoted by Fox News as a possible perpetrator of the attack. The suspected terrorist is a 27-year-old white Canadian with far-right sympathies.

BanzaiCat

JasonPratt

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 01, 2017, 01:17:24 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 01, 2017, 12:24:27 PM

While I'm at it, as I said I wouldn't be surprised if this was Muslim-on-Muslim violence (rare though that is in this hemisphere) -- but neither am I surprised if it's a single white hater.

This is how it is reported over here :

Hm, yes they're leaving out the part where Fox News was reporting what the Canadian police themselves were saying about having a suspect in custody at the time.

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 01, 2017, 02:32:22 PM
Hm, yes they're leaving out the part where Fox News was reporting what the Canadian police themselves were saying about having a suspect in custody at the time.

Not really :

In the first article :

De politie had eerst melding gemaakt van twee opgepakte verdachten, maar de tweede man die werd opgepakt wordt beschouwd als getuige.

translated :

The police had initially reported two arrested suspects, but the second man who was arrested is now considered a witness.

OJsDad

Yes, but it was reported by multiple news outlets that there was a second suspect that that he was Muslim.  In fact the first reports that I read said that there were 3 attackers.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 01, 2017, 11:32:40 AM

Yeah..... it's obviously all a white flag operation stage to.... do what?  :wow:

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's odd that  it was the PMs director of communications, Kate Purchase, who contacted FOX News directly and demanded that they delete tweets referencing Belkhadir as a suspect.  They never contacted other news agencies with the same request.

It's also troubling that the media and government officials seem to  be selectively choosing info from Bissonnette's social media posts to portray him as a far right extremist while ignoring his posts in support of the far left Canadian political party, the NDP and their former leader Jack Layton. 

I think it may well be true that this guy did snap after grasping on to some of the anti-Muslim rhetoric out there but I also think it's highly likely that the PM's office and their cronies at the CBS are spinning this in order to win support for their upcoming motion proposal, M-103.  This motion will make it easier to use hate speech laws to go after anyone deemed as being Islamophobic. 

I don't think we're getting the full story here.  Hopefully they just lock the killer up for life and be done with it but I suspect these killings will be used as a political springboard to quell freedom of speech as well as gun rights.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 01, 2017, 02:54:24 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 01, 2017, 02:32:22 PM

Not really :

In the first article :

De politie had eerst melding gemaakt van twee opgepakte verdachten, maar de tweede man die werd opgepakt wordt beschouwd als getuige.

translated :

The police had initially reported two arrested suspects, but the second man who was arrested is now considered a witness.

I was thinking of the second article, where they treat Fox as tweeting scurrilous infamies on purpose. But originally the police reported one arrested suspect with another on the loose (the second being the actual perpetrator who turned himself in); apparently the police still had the first guy in custody at some point after picking up the real criminal, although that might be accidental conflation of details.

This is why it's actually a good idea not to release information until charges can be verified. But there's a fine line between that and intentionally obscuring relevant data for political correctness, and I don't envy law enforcement public relations in making that decision on a case by case basis under pressure from both the public (in both directions) and from politics.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 01, 2017, 05:38:02 PM
I don't think we're getting the full story here.  Hopefully they just lock the killer up for life and be done with it but I suspect these killings will be used as a political springboard to quell freedom of speech as well as gun rights.

And to shoot (figuratively speaking) at Trump. Any stick is good enough etc.