Labyrinth: War on Terror - 2001, an SDR and Barth experience

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, January 22, 2017, 02:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Do y'all plan to flip over to the Awakening expansion if you go far enough?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Silent Disapproval Robot

Not this time.  We're just playing a single deck session.  The expansion adds some new countries and new variables that affect jihad and War of Ideas rolls (awakening, reactionism, polarization, convergence) as well as rules for civil wars (and a new "militia" faction that can be controlled by either player depending on circumstances).  These new systems would have had to have been added from the beginning of the game were we to transition from the original game into the expansion.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Back at it.

With the collapse of insurgent resistance in Afghanistan, US lead coalition troops quickly establish order and begin their pull out.  NATO forces remain behind to act as peacekeepers.

Flush with their success in Afghanistan, the US launches an invasion of Somalia.  They send the nascent ruling Islamist government running and set up a provisional government.  World opinion is decidedly against more of this type of interventionism and the reputation of the US goes down the toilet.

Malaysia becomes a hotbed of recruitment and new cells spring up.  While this is happening, Al-Shabaab militants plan a series of attacks against US forces in Somalia...

Barthheart

Beginning to feel like a really expensive game of Whack-a-Mole.  :P  :knuppel2:

JasonPratt

First-person shooter enemies keep respawning. TARGET RICH ENVIRONMENT!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Silent Disapproval Robot

US intel detects the plot to blow up a Marine barracks in Mogadishu and thwarts it.  (Damn you Barth, being all clever and holding on to 3 point cards til the end of the round).  The US then proceeds to lay the hammer down and take out all cells exposed by the failed plot.  (I lose two cells in Somalia).

Jihadist response to the failure was quite anemic.  One of the remaining plotters goes to ground and some new wannabes join the cause.  (I play two lame 1 point cards.  1 to flip an active cell back to sleeper status and 1 to recruit a new cell in Somalia.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

The US military goes into full swing and takes out each new cell as soon as they pop up.  Pressed into a corner,  the last few insurgents strap on suicide vests and decide to go out as martyrs.  (Barth played a card which allowed me to replace a single terrorist cell with two terror plots.  I sacrifice my last remaining cell in Somalia and exchange it for two plots there.)

JasonPratt

Wow -- if that plot fails, Barth won, right? -- if no more cells remain on the board, that's a US win condition?

Barthheart

Nah, he's got a crap tonne of cells in Indonesia still and a few others spread around, Iraq, Central Asia...

Silent Disapproval Robot

Both plots succeed and we blow up a bus full of nuns, orphans, and kittens or something.  End result is a big boost in funding to the Jihadis and a loss of prestige for the Americans.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The terrorist attacks against US forces in Somalia leads to increased funding for the extremists.  This is put to good use in SE Asia as fundamentalists stage a successful coup in Malaysia and replace the ruling government with theocratic rule.

More cells spring up in Somalia...

Silent Disapproval Robot

The success of the terror attacks against US forces in Somalia leads to major fallout in the States.  The government is forced to abandon its stance of direct action and instead shifts to a policy of offering material aid and support to local forces battling Islamic extremism.  (Barth spends two 3-point cards to shift US policy on the GWOT from hard to soft.)

The Jihadis use the pause to spread out from their new centre of operations in Malaysia.  Two cells return to the Middle East and attempt to set up operations in Iraq.  One cell is caught and its members executed, but the other manages to infiltrate and start recruiting.

Another cell makes its way to the Philippines.

Silent Disapproval Robot

As part of its new policy, the US engages in diplomatic offensives in the Middle East.  They are successful in their efforts to sway Saddam's regime in Iraq and relations begin to thaw.  (US/Iraq relations improve from adversarial to neutral).  Fundamentalists in the region see this rapprochement as proof that the ruling elites are willing to bend the knee to the Great Satan and rise up.  The government of Iraq is ousted and the country falls to Islamist rule.  (I moved cells from Malaysia to Iraq and spent a card that allowed me to launch a major jihad in Iraq but doing so cost me in Somalia.  Needed to get Iraq to fall before Barth could dump more aid in there next turn).

As a consequence, the newly installed Secularist government in Somalia increases the pace of reforms.  (Their governance improves from poor to fair).

Silent Disapproval Robot

The US soft power push continues.  They manage to win over Pakistan who becomes a US ally in the war on terror (no Pakistani nukes for me this game, it seems).

Jihadi cells cross the Iraq border into Jordan.