The Great, White Winter of 2017

Started by MetalDog, January 05, 2017, 11:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

In the end, the amount of snow that fell in my area today could be contained in a thimble.  I'm glad, because I was able to do my work and justify to myself getting done early, but, I wish the weather people had a bit more accuracy.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on January 06, 2017, 08:56:13 PM
I wish the weather people had a bit more accuracy.

Weather people and political pollsters are one and the same.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

You mean they both wanted Hillary to win?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

They both get their feet stuck in the one trowser leg while rushing to get dressed.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

trailrunner

I predict Washington DC will not have any snow for the next three years.  Why?  Because I bought a snow blower this past November.

After living here 25 years, I got tired of shoveling snow.  The last few years (going back to 2010, which really was a rough year), we've had some significant snowfalls.  I don't live in a big house with a big walk, but some of those snowfalls nevertheless would take hours to clean up with my shovel.  My back will thank me.

My wife is a teacher, and she eagerly anticipates snow days.  The county we live in (Fairfax) is sort of large, so the conditions can vary across the county.  Plus, it's filled with lots of type A parents that are hypercritical of the schools and government, so the last couple of years, they have built a huge number of snow days into the schedule, and they are pretty generous in using them.

OJsDad

-5 this morning when I got up.  Even the dog doesn't want to be out, and she's half Newfoundland. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Lamest snowmageddon ever... You can still see grass, and not enough snow to take the sleds out. Too much rain last night, not enough snow.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Just started snowing here and they upped our potential totals within a 100 mile radius, And I am driving into Brooklyn. Subaru powers, activate!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

It started here on the CT shore about a half hour ago. We should get about 4-8 inches. Toonces Island should get more.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

Where is the Commander? Hopefully not around any sharp objects.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: trailrunner on January 07, 2017, 06:49:29 AM
The county we live in (Fairfax) is sort of large

The last significant snowfall I witnessed was as a child growing up in Dale City, just a short drive down the road from where you are. It was 1976 or so I think, and we had a good four or five feet of snow on the ground. We had a townhouse on the front end of the street so there was a huge lot next to us right on the corner with tons of tunneling and snow fort opportunities. I remember my dad having to put snow chains on the tires, too. It was fun for a kid but definitely not for an adult.  ;D

bayonetbrant

More snow coming down now. Went sledding and our footprints from walking out were covered by the time we came back
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Jarhead's probably out setting fire to things with his new flamethrower-toy.... to stay warm.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The troopers here in CT shut down a multi-exit section of I-91 after at least 20 cars, three tractor trailers, and one tanker collided. Luckily no major injuries reported.