Russia could take Europe in... 48 hours?

Started by bayonetbrant, December 17, 2016, 05:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russia-could-invade-europe-within-48-hours-warns-ex-military-chief-a7315976.html

QuoteThe former chief of Joint Forces Command warned that the failure of countries such as France, Germany and Italy to take the threat of Russian aggression seriously could lead to a loss of land, sea and airspace.

Countries bordering the country, led by president Vladimir Putin, are concerned about the threat from their neighbour, not a priority for southern and central states.

The majority of the EU bloc is focussed on the heightened terror threat and migration crisis gripping the continent
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Yeah, but with all the Muslim terrorists there now, who would try it?  ;)  Besides, the Luftstache guards the skies.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

They wouldn't get through Poland in 48 hours. Not with conventionals alone.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

The whole situation at the moment terrifies me, I have to be honest.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Especially with Boris and the Donald on the job...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

The general quoted in the article doesn't really make the case that Russia could take it in 48 hours.

QuoteGeneral Sir Richard Barrons claimed Russia could deploy warplanes, ships and troops on European soil within 48 hours if it desired, with NATO some months away from an effective counter-strike.

They certainly could have troops inside the Baltics in 48 hours and it could take NATO a while to do something about it militarily.

Technically, the Russians have troops on European soil already in the Ukraine.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on December 18, 2016, 08:03:55 AM
The general quoted in the article doesn't really make the case that Russia could take it in 48 hours.

QuoteGeneral Sir Richard Barrons claimed Russia could deploy warplanes, ships and troops on European soil within 48 hours if it desired, with NATO some months away from an effective counter-strike.

They certainly could have troops inside the Baltics in 48 hours and it could take NATO a while to do something about it militarily.

Technically, the Russians have troops on European soil already in the Ukraine.

Technically, those troops are on vacation. It just so happens that all they packed was battle dress. Oops.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 18, 2016, 09:01:01 AM
I suppose POMCUS isn't a thing anymore?

they're still there - several heavy brigade sets are up near the ports
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 18, 2016, 09:30:17 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 18, 2016, 09:01:01 AM
I suppose POMCUS isn't a thing anymore?

they're still there - several heavy brigade sets are up near the ports

Well hey, that's something.

Gusington

They also have Kaliningrad or whatever the kids are calling it these days and have been very busy turning it into a fortress for the last year or so.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: mirth on December 18, 2016, 06:19:39 AM
They wouldn't get through Poland in 48 hours. Not with conventionals alone.

This. 

Russia goes for the Baltics.  Poland goes defcon1.  The rest of Europe freaks out except the Brits who are pissed enough and really want a fight.
Shit goes south and Russia is reminded of what real air power can do.  Cucumbers barely get across the start line.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

JasonPratt

More like Russia could flush its military down the drain in 48 hours.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!