Need Help w/ Laptop Specs

Started by bayonetbrant, November 27, 2016, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

So I don't do Windows machines....

But my mother-in-law is offering to get Bayonet Jr a new laptop for Christmas, so I'm looking at a few options to see what might work for him.  It's primarily a school machine, with some light gaming thrown in, and no need for heavy-horsepower coding or anything.

Here's the thing - we can't do a custom-build or make it ourselves.  The MIL is getting this, so it has to be an off-the shelf purchase.

Option 1, from Amazon, no touchscreen
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNOELA6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Options 2 & 3, both from Costco, both with touchscreen
http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15-au123cl-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5.product.100314589.html

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-310-15-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i5.product.100306676.html

Option 4, but currently trailing
http://www.target.com/p/hp-notebook-15-ba042nr-silver-z2k88ua-aba/-/A-51668036

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Any of those are decent choices for the money. In the past few months, I've been researching inexpensive ($500 or less) laptops. The IdeaPads and the HP Pavillion came up often.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

Lenovo are owned and built by the Chinese... so unless you want a spy box in yer home I'd stay away from them.

mirth

I don't disagree about Lenovo, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a laptop that doesn't contain Chinese manufactured components. And if it's running Windows 10, it's a loaded with spyware.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Looks good except for the integrated video... what's it going to be used for? It's fine if not for high graphics intensive games... Civ VI probably won't run on it because of the video....

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2016, 12:23:19 PM
howzabout this one?  It's a HUGE steal right now thru tomorrow...

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15t-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100312016.html

That's the one I'd go with, personally. Hard to argue with the price. Nice Christmas present from the MIL.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on November 27, 2016, 12:26:09 PM
Looks good except for the integrated video... what's it going to be used for? It's fine if not for high graphics intensive games... Civ VI probably won't run on it because of the video....

probably nothing more fancy than Minecraft/Terraria-level games, since it's Bayonet Jr's and not mine. 

I doubt he's going to run anything too fancy.  It's mainly a school computer, and maybe some light coding once he starts messing around with it.

mirth

In the price range you're looking at, you're going to have to accept integrated GFX. Those low-end machines are a series of compromises.

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2016, 12:34:33 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 27, 2016, 12:26:09 PM

probably nothing more fancy than Minecraft/Terraria-level games, since it's Bayonet Jr's and not mine. 

I doubt he's going to run anything too fancy.  It's mainly a school computer, and maybe some light coding once he starts messing around with it.

Then it's fine and a good buy for the price.

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2016, 12:23:19 PM
howzabout this one?  It's a HUGE steal right now thru tomorrow...

http://www.costco.com/HP-Pavilion-15t-Touchscreen-Laptop---Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100312016.html

Not bad but the HD is a dog. I'd upgrade it SSD if possible or a 7200rmp regular HD.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

It's off the shelf. Can't do anything to it before he opens it

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 27, 2016, 05:19:48 PM
It's off the shelf. Can't do anything to it before he opens it
Yeah, I figured it would have to be an after market mod.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak