Wolverine goes full Me(ta)l Gibson in Wolvie3 trailer (aka "Logan")

Started by JasonPratt, October 20, 2016, 12:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Quote from: mirth on March 10, 2017, 12:49:23 PM
The reviews have been very positive.
There's a reason for that.  Do yourself a favor and go watch it this weekend.  Seriously. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

In Jackman's defense, Wolverine is VERY VERY VERRRRYYYY OBVIOUSLY a science-fiction werewolf. Except one made invulnerable by blessed silver (in effect) instead of vulnerable to it (but still vulnerable to it). Rages out, super-wolf senses, transformation. He was only called Wolverine as a Canadian touch, which led to him being short, too.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Went and saw it again last night.  There's very few movies I feel compelled to watch more than once in the theater, but Logan is one of them.  Something about this film strongly resonates with me. 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

JudgeDredd

If anyone hasn't yet seen this - you absolutely must if it's out. I don't know much of the X-Men world at all (I've seen people talking about Old Man Logan) - but this film - just as a film, a story - is fantastic.

It's my 3rd favourite movie, right behind Deadpool (1) and Guardians of the Galaxy (2).
Alba gu' brath

Martok

undercovergeek

Saw it tonight - exceptional

From his first scene Logan manages to portray such pain, just walking is suffering and you really feel for the poor guy, a true sense of him having had enough of life - it's heart breaking

Same with Charles - both of them just scream , 'please let it be over'

A very grim tale - and very violent and sweary compared to brightly coloured happy xmen of the past - one parent took his son out

I loved it, doesn't need to be in lore for me, don't care - just a film in its own right

OJsDad

Is this a stand alone movie with no links to the others, or is there a story that links this to other x-man/wolverine movies. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on March 26, 2017, 05:42:24 PM
Is this a stand alone movie with no links to the others, or is there a story that links this to other x-man/wolverine movies. 

There are links to the previous movies.

Though apparently Jackman caused a shit storm by saying it wasn't in the same universe.

http://movieweb.com/logan-movie-director-x-men-universe-hugh-jackman/
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

I was also under the impression that 'Old Man Logan' played out in an alternate reality.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I don't think it matters with that series considering how they rebooted it with the time travel.

JasonPratt

By now, asking whether an X-Man film is in continuity is almost pointless. They're playing by anime rules: if it kinda suggests continuity, that's close enough, you should be enjoying the aesthetic and high concept ideas (and that they gave you anything new at all, you ingrates, etc.  ::) )

Bob "Moviebob" Chipman made a good video commenting on a number of the thematics in the film. Heavy spoilers obvs.

That wasn't his official review, btw.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

mirth

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.