Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Started by OJsDad, October 19, 2016, 12:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

If that's a metaphor, Drax won't understand it. "I am----going to see---- Groot".
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Sir Slash

Got my tickets for the 7pm showing tomorrow. Will post some thoughts afterward for you poor working class people that.... have to work.  \m/
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

I went to see this last Friday with my daughter.

It didn't capture the huge appeal I found in the original. But that's not fair because - apart from Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, what sequel turns out to be better than the original.

However, we loved it.

Visuals were great. Music was superb. Baby Groot was amazing and another fine acting role for Vin Diesel. Rapport between the characters was again superb though I thought they "humanised" Drax a bit too much, perhaps too soon I think. Story was.....ok

There were some negatives but I don't want to mention them here giving anyone a downer before they go - and I have to be honest, they were minor.

Usual caveat - I know nothing of "the universe" so continuity and character manipulation/progression are not things I could critique on.

But we came away thoroughly satisfied as paying cinema customers.

There now follows a Public Saftey Announcement
If you do NOT get off your f***ing phone in the f***ing cinema, I'll rip it from your f***ing cold dead hands and shove it up your f***ing Kazoo!
Here ends your Public Safety Announcement.
Alba gu' brath

jamus34

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 04, 2017, 12:38:43 AM

There now follows a Public Saftey Announcement
If you do NOT get off your f***ing phone in the f***ing cinema, I'll rip it from your f***ing cold dead hands and shove it up your f***ing Kazoo!
Here ends your Public Safety Announcement.

This is why I have found that I like going to the first daily showing of movies during the workweek (yes I will take off)

Theatre may have 20 people tops and you are guaranteeing there are no teenagers unless they are ditching that day.
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 04, 2017, 12:38:43 AM

It didn't capture the huge appeal I found in the original. But that's not fair because - apart from Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan, what sequel turns out to be better than the original.

Uhhh...

Empire Strikes Back

Aliens

Evil Dead 2 & Army Of Darkness

The Dark Knight

Road Warrior/ Mad Max 2

The Devil's Rejects

Hellboy 2 Golden Army

almost anything in the X-Men movies were better than the original

and so on..

:bd:

mirth

Taking kids for Saturday noon showing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Let us know what you thing sans spoilers. I am sure my son and I will hit it in the next couple of weeks as well. It looks like a hoot.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on May 04, 2017, 08:57:54 AM
Taking kids for Saturday noon showing.

If I don't take O this weekend, she's most likely going to beat me with one of her crutches.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

I'm not expecting as great a film as the first movie-- along the lines of what Dredd says. But that's good enough for me even with Snake Pliskin in the movie.

JasonPratt

Godfather 2

Jaws 2

Gremlins 2

Captain America 2

Spider-man 2 (Raimi's)

The list could continue for a while, although I think things get more obscure from there.

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Thor 2.  :clap: Or, Thor 2 too.

JudgeDredd

OK. But the point is, if the first one was great, the sequel is seldom better. Guardians of the Galaxy was freaking awesome...and this was very enjoyable.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

I have to agree. It was a very close second to the first movie which pleasantly surprised me. I thought it tried a little too hard to be funny and was a tab predictable but otherwise was great. I was also surprised at what a natural actor Bautista is. He had the best lines in the movie and handled them very well. Well worth the admission price-- 3-D I'm not so sure about.

JudgeDredd

Drax definitely had the funniest lines in the movie. Him and Baby Groot. Opening scene was superb and very well orchestrated. There's sooooooooooooo much going on and yet you're focussed solely on one thing.

I agree they seemed to push the humour here - but it did work well and wasn't overly distracting.

Oh - and although this seems like an afterthought - Rocket was pretty awesome too.

The one thing that got me - and I'm giving nothing away here that's not in the trailer - is the tape. I don't know the background of the characters - but Rocket is portrayed as the McGyver of the bunch right? So wtf does he need tape to cover the death button - question actually being, why is there a button on his device that can set it off immediately?

That was bugging me for months. Whilst I found the tape scene funny, it was, in the words of a very special space scientist, illogical.
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

Drax's line, "You people have hang-ups" struck me as wtf isn't he literal anymore? Somebody else should've said it and he could then say, "Why would you want to hang people up"? But overall a really great example of how good a movie can be made without preaching or politics or pandering to explain every little detail that happens in it.