Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe

Started by steve58, October 17, 2016, 09:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

just a quick question....

Would someone who found HoI4 totally frustrating and still found himself lost after 20+ hours of playing find the same frustration with this game?  :uglystupid2:

I find myself looking for another WW2 grand strategy type game, but I find the Panzer General/Corps games a little too simple even for my pee sized brain  :crazy2:

Gracias!

airboy

acctman - No.

Strategic Command has far less R&D detail work, far fewer units and far less supply insanity than the HOI series. 

You can pick up some of the earlier versions very inexpensively to see before dropping a bundle.  The new game has some important modifications, but the same game engine.  SC also works on turns and is not real time.

There are quite a few AARs of Strategic Command games from earlier iterations that are floating around.  I did one for WW1, but I don't have a ready link to wherever I put it.  Reading through one of the AARs will give you a very good feel for the game mechanics and if it is right for you.

-budd-

Quote from: acctingman on March 24, 2017, 10:47:15 PM

Would someone who found HoI4 totally frustrating and still found himself lost after 20+ hours of playing find the same frustration with this game?  :uglystupid2:

I find myself looking for another WW2 grand strategy type game, but I find the Panzer General/Corps games a little too simple even for my pee sized brain  :crazy2:

Gracias!

You sound like me. Never can wrap my head around , Well any paradox game so far. Strategic Command is easy to get into but has some depth to it.Sounds like it would fit the bill for you .
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

acctingman

Thanks gents

I'll look at one of the earlier versions to see if it's for me.

Tuna

There is a demo for one of the earlier versions, out there. Global or something like that.

Tanaka

Quote from: acctingman on March 24, 2017, 10:47:15 PM

Gracias!

I am exactly the same. I love SC over HOI. It is much more my speed with plenty of depth to keep it interesting. And unlike HOI the AI in SC is actually good.

Ubercat

Quote from: airboy on March 20, 2017, 02:58:32 PM
I coveted the hard back manual - so I just bought it on Amazon.

I got a review copy.  But because I did not get the review done I felt guilty and bought it.  Christian guilt strikes again!

Does the physical copy include a Steam key?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

airboy

Quote from: Ubercat on March 26, 2017, 09:11:14 AM

I got a review copy.  But because I did not get the review done I felt guilty and bought it.  Christian guilt strikes again!

Ubercat - I don't know.

Millipede

SCWW2:WiE is not available on Steam so I don't believe Matrix/Slitherine can provide a Steam key. As to whether it will ever be available on Steam... beats me.

-budd-

I think if you register the game to your members account at Matrix if in the future it goes on steam you would get a key, but its worth asking the question over at Matrix about the amazon hard copy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Tuna

As Milipede said it's not on Steam, so no Steam key. I would assume if it went on Steam they would then provide one.

Greybriar

No. I purchased the physical copy and a Steam key was not included.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Jarhead0331

If this covered the entire war, ie., Pacific, North Africa, etc., I'd probably take the plunge. With just Europe though, I can't get motivated.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

berto

It does cover North Africa.  For example, see here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4240932

Note also the jump map at the bottom.

No Pacific theater, though.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

airboy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 26, 2017, 01:40:35 PM
If this covered the entire war, ie., Pacific, North Africa, etc., I'd probably take the plunge. With just Europe though, I can't get motivated.

What you want is the Order of Battle series.  It covers most of the war.  Its naval module is much, much better than Strategic Command.  You got to have a good naval model to simulate the Pacific.