The Battle for Mosul has started

Started by Staggerwing, October 16, 2016, 06:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2016, 08:01:14 AM
betting this all lasts 6-8 months, until someone else gets slightly mo' betta' organized and counter-attacks

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/middleeast/mosul-isis-operation-iraq/index.html

Interesting to see a mixture of US and Russian equipment on the same side.

Sir Slash

Will this be Stalingrad-South? I hope not, but the Dead-Enders will stick around for the 72 Virgins-thing while the Honchos have probably already scattered. Hope that after the Bosses aren't looking anymore, the peons will all decide they're not quite ready for martyrdom and surrender. Then the next question is, "Who gets Mosul and all that oil"? And what happens when we reach the Syrian border? Cross it or let ISIS have a safe base to fight from?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 19, 2016, 08:01:14 AM
betting this all lasts 6-8 months, until someone else gets slightly mo' betta' organized and counter-attacks

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/19/middleeast/mosul-isis-operation-iraq/index.html

It will be interesting to compare the effectiveness and will of each of the 'Allied' ground players: Peshmerga, Militias, and Iraqi Regular Army.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 19, 2016, 12:15:44 PM
It will be interesting to compare the effectiveness and will of each of the 'Allied' ground players: Peshmerga, Militias, and Iraqi Regular Army.
I'm pretty sure you've just ranked/listed them in the correct order... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

http://www.straitstimes.com/world/middle-east/isis-leaders-abandon-mosul-as-iraq-forces-close-in#xtor=CS1-10

So the leaders are said to be fleeing.  And with civilians fleeing, the fighters can blend in the crowd and form sleeper cells.  Except the foreigners they say. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on October 19, 2016, 02:37:06 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 19, 2016, 12:15:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you've just ranked/listed them in the correct order... 

Subconscious bias?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Gusington

"The is no Dana only Mosul." I hope someone wrote that on an artillery shell.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

How about 'Sul' on the first arty shell and then 'Mo' "Sul" on all the others?  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on October 19, 2016, 05:35:42 PM
Peshmerga for the win.
Hope so, but Turkey has said it wants to be involved.

If they do without the Iraqi government say so, then that is an act of war. It hasn't bothered them in Syria, but I wonder whether they will cross the border to get a stake on Mosul simply by being there. If that happens then things get VERY complicated, especially as Putin and Erdogan are now new BFF's. ???
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Quote from: Boggit on October 21, 2016, 05:30:21 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 19, 2016, 05:35:42 PM
Peshmerga for the win.
Hope so, but Turkey has said it wants to be involved.

If they do without the Iraqi government say so, then that is an act of war. It hasn't bothered them in Syria, but I wonder whether they will cross the border to get a stake on Mosul simply by being there. If that happens then things get VERY complicated, especially as Putin and Erdogan are now new BFF's. ???

Turkey is already in Iraq, against the legitimate Iraqi gov's wishes. It has that 'Training camp' just north of Mosul (15 miles or so?) that it can buff up and leapfrog from anytime it wants. Turkey also has it's own Sunni militia it's supporting there as well which is already in direct conflict against IS elements. When the Peshmerga moved in on the villages north of Mosul they had to carefully avoid the estimated ZOC of the Turks and friends up there.

JasonPratt

Someone should AGEOD this regional conflict (along the line of Revolution Under Siege with all the various faction players). It would be forty levels of cray.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Wait for the regional/global war DLC to be unveiled first. Featuring 21st century naval combat between the US and Russia in the Mediterranean.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd