Iron Fist (Netflix)

Started by Nefaro, October 08, 2016, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Hugh Jackman faces the same problem Brent Spiner did in continuing to portray the same character for decades; both their character don't age (or maybe Wolverine does, but veeeeery slowly. Don't forget he fought in WW1). The actors don't have that same attribute. Sooner or later it is time to let go.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 17, 2017, 10:44:46 PM
Quote from: Tpek on March 17, 2017, 06:18:28 PM
So, has anyone here (other than myself) been watching the new Iron Fist series?

I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's somewhat bland so far (then again, I never liked the character to begin with).

The only somewhat interesting thing is how they tie this in to the whole new Defenders franchise (according to the new show, the Iron Fist is meant to fight the Hand).

Binged about half of the series thus far.   It's definitely slow-moving for awhile.  But it's finally started getting interesting at around episode 6.  We'll see if it keeps going.  To be fair, I thought Luke Cage was often pretty slow too.

I've actually been enjoying the Meachum family dramas more than Danny's rather straightforward naivety thus far.  Interesting dramatic roller coaster.  The guy who plays Ward has done an impressive job.  It's not easy making jerk characters the audience can alternately dislike and sympathize with, over & over.

Being Iron Fist, I expected the fight scenes to be a step up from Daredevil's in some aspect.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  Thus far, I think the stuff in DD was better or, at least, more stylized and compelling.

It seems to be a common thing among all those Netflix/Marvel shows, the villains are really interesting, and oft times better portrayed than the protagonists themselves. (That's especially true for the first season of DD)

jamus34

Quote from: Tpek on March 19, 2017, 05:51:13 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 17, 2017, 10:44:46 PM
Quote from: Tpek on March 17, 2017, 06:18:28 PM
So, has anyone here (other than myself) been watching the new Iron Fist series?

I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's somewhat bland so far (then again, I never liked the character to begin with).

The only somewhat interesting thing is how they tie this in to the whole new Defenders franchise (according to the new show, the Iron Fist is meant to fight the Hand).

Binged about half of the series thus far.   It's definitely slow-moving for awhile.  But it's finally started getting interesting at around episode 6.  We'll see if it keeps going.  To be fair, I thought Luke Cage was often pretty slow too.

I've actually been enjoying the Meachum family dramas more than Danny's rather straightforward naivety thus far.  Interesting dramatic roller coaster.  The guy who plays Ward has done an impressive job.  It's not easy making jerk characters the audience can alternately dislike and sympathize with, over & over.

Being Iron Fist, I expected the fight scenes to be a step up from Daredevil's in some aspect.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  Thus far, I think the stuff in DD was better or, at least, more stylized and compelling.

It seems to be a common thing among all those Netflix/Marvel shows, the villains are really interesting, and oft times better portrayed than the protagonists themselves. (That's especially true for the first season of DD)

well, in respect to that D'onofrio is a hugely talented actor whose been around much longer than anyone on the show (I guess excepting Scott Glenn, but that was more a guess spot).

Don't get me wrong, the character was well written, but D'onofrio has a way of elevating his roles to something else entirely.
Insert witty comment here.

Tpek

^Except that it was quite the same for Jessica Jones (David Tenant's portrayal of the Purple Man/Killgrave), and for Luke Cage (Maharasha Ali's [spl?] portrayal of Cottonmouth).

jamus34

Quote from: Tpek on March 19, 2017, 04:37:34 PM
^Except that it was quite the same for Jessica Jones (David Tenant's portrayal of the Purple Man/Killgrave), and for Luke Cage (Maharasha Ali's [spl?] portrayal of Cottonmouth).

Well I'll claim ignorance here as I didn't get far enough into JJ to really see Tenant's villain and didn't watch LC at all.
Insert witty comment here.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on March 19, 2017, 04:37:34 PM

Agreed.

I actually thought less of the Luke Cage series once the main baddie switched away from Cottonmouth, who was great.  After that it became pretty "meh" and the main baddie was just too damn shallow.

Once again, the best part of Iron Fist is the baddies... or pseudo-baddies(?). 

I think Iron Fist's character could be more interesting, but somewhere between the writing, the actor, and seemingly little advancement in Danny's character over the course of the series, he just didn't stand out among the other characters too much.  Pretty much played a naive man-child all the way through, so I think much of the blame for that is on the writers.  Still happy to have watched it for most of the others, however.

Grimnirsson

I don't know, but these TV series adaptations of the super-hero characters tend to suck. We watched Arrow and it started off decently, but pretty soon spiraled down into bad acting and pointless story. Agents of Shield had a rocky start in our opinion but got better and actually interesting while The Flash was terrible from the start and now I read the comments on Iron Fist...which seems not that good either, so I suppose we wouldn't make it through season 1. The TV versions of the super-hero universe seem to focus on very young characters - weather that fits the comic character or not - probably because of the targeted audience, but combine that with often failed comedy acts of the side characters, sometimes just bad costumes and shallow story and it becomes hard to watch, at least for me. And just for the record I have been a Marvel fan since my youth, a good deal of my money as a youngster was spent on Marvel comics, some on DC. Was really hoping for a great time seeing all these characters - including the ones the mainstream audience doesn't know - get to life on the screen over the years, using the comic book story arcs and the big Marvel movies were good so far (although there's now a trend it seems to bring in more comedy here as well...and Iron Man 3 was just garbage...the Mandarin...oh boy), The Batman trilogy had two great movies and the third sucked terribly but as I said the TV series stuff seems to be generally more on the "meh" side of things.  :(
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Nefaro

I thought both seasons of Daredevil were great. 

The other Marvel Netflix series aren't bad, and have some good facets.  I hope Defenders is good, and that the Punisher series continues the awesome they had going for Punisher in DD season 2.  8)

The rest of the tv/net series, including all the DC stuff, are 'meh' at best.

mirth

I like a lot of the DC tv shows. They are more light hearted and fun than the Marvel shows. Daredevil is a very good show, but it's pretty grim and self serious.

The DC tv shows haves succeeded where the DC movies have failed. It's basically the opposite for the MCU.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Grimnirsson

QuoteI hope Defenders is good, and that the Punisher series continues the awesome they had going for Punisher in DD season 2.

Punisher is one of my favorite characters and I think Ray Stevenson nailed it in Punisher: War Zone...I don't know why the movie got so many bad reviews. I hope for the best regarding the TV series version but given the many "meh" covers in that sector don't really have trust... :-\
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Nefaro

Quote from: Grimnirsson on March 20, 2017, 02:40:49 PM
QuoteI hope Defenders is good, and that the Punisher series continues the awesome they had going for Punisher in DD season 2.

Punisher is one of my favorite characters and I think Ray Stevenson nailed it in Punisher: War Zone...I don't know why the movie got so many bad reviews. I hope for the best regarding the TV series version but given the many "meh" covers in that sector don't really have trust... :-\

Did you see Jon Bernthal playing Punisher in DD season 2? 

Dude was amazing.  Getting his own Punisher Netflix series was a no-brainer. 

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on March 20, 2017, 02:24:07 PM
I like a lot of the DC tv shows. They are more light hearted and fun than the Marvel shows. Daredevil is a very good show, but it's pretty grim and self serious.

The DC tv shows haves succeeded where the DC movies have failed. It's basically the opposite for the MCU.

Guess I prefer the gritty stuff.   DC is usually just too cheesy too often for me to watch regularly.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on March 20, 2017, 07:06:37 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on March 20, 2017, 02:40:49 PM

Did you see Jon Bernthal playing Punisher in DD season 2? 

Dude was amazing.  Getting his own Punisher Netflix series was a no-brainer. 

+1 This is all true.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tpek

Damn, Iron Fish is terrible at fighting.
Possibly even worse than Dorkdevil.

He's pretty much a moderately adequate unarmed fighter (can defeat unpowered opponents with some difficulty, as long as he is not overly outnumbered or attacked by surprise, or faced with guns), who, once per day, if he concentrates really hard, can do a strong punch.

He should have stuck with being a hobo, that seems the only thing he was good at (for someone with no ID or money, he sure seemed to be able to constantly get new clothing, food,
lodging, transportation and other kind of stuff).