Iron Fist (Netflix)

Started by Nefaro, October 08, 2016, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

The first long trailer just came out:

(mod edit to fix youtube link)

Ubercat

Hey! Isn't that the guy who played Sir Loras Tyrell in GoT?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

Too many Super Heroes! The Evil Villians can't keep up already.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

I want a series centered around Deadpool, Wolverine and Punisher.
They should call it Murder Buddies  >:D

JasonPratt

^ That would be an apt opportunity to recast Wolverine. ;) (Not that I don't love HJack and always will in the role, even for WolvieOrigins.) Alas for licensing rules.

I'm feeling slightly underwhelmed by the Iron Fist promo, but hey at least it's "Iron Fist" and not "Danny Rand".  :buck2: I'm confident they'll work it out decently well, too.

Also  :smitten: the axe gang (possibly a nod to Kung Fu Hustle?)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 11, 2016, 02:36:57 PM
^ That would be an apt opportunity to recast Wolverine. ;) (Not that I don't love HJack and always will in the role, even for WolvieOrigins.) Alas for licensing rules.

I'm feeling slightly underwhelmed by the Iron Fist promo, but hey at least it's "Iron Fist" and not "Danny Rand".  :buck2: I'm confident they'll work it out decently well, too.

Also  :smitten: the axe gang (possibly a nod to Kung Fu Hustle?)

Why recast Wolvie?
H.J will again be playing him in the upcoming Wolverine/X-Men movie.

Dammit Carl!

As a fan of (very) old school Marvel "kung-fu, " days (i.e White Panther, Chang-Sing) I can't wait for this.

-still got many "Deadly Fists of Kung Fu," comics and love the genre...no regrets-

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tpek on October 11, 2016, 06:11:29 PM
Why recast Wolvie?

Because while Old Man Logan can still plausibly kick ass, Old Man Jackman has been wanting to retire from the role for a while now and keeps saying this is the last one really no really.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 11, 2016, 06:32:25 PM
As a fan of (very) old school Marvel "kung-fu, " days (i.e White Panther, Chang-Sing) I can't wait for this.

-still got many "Deadly Fists of Kung Fu," comics and love the genre...no regrets-

Not gonna lie, while I'm not against Iron Fist at all, I'd love to see Shang Chi spinning off properly. And he leads directly into Fu Manchu, and that Chinese guy from Shield (Jimmy Wong, I think?) actually out-batmanning Batman by accepting Fu's offer to marry his daughter (who has fallen in love with Wong while Shield is fighting Fu's organization) and then taking over and reorganizing Fu's criminal organization into a sort of Chinese Shield!

Wong and Shang Chi, the techno modern guy and the old-school artist, fighting Fu Manchu's secret Tong and then succeeding so hard that they can set up a Chinese counterpart to Shield? WOULD. BE. EPIC!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2016, 08:14:55 AM
... actually out-batmanning Batman ...

Speaking of -

I keep reading occasional murmurs/proddings about a Moon Knight series, or movie.  Could just be super-fan wishfulness bouncing around, but I suppose that eventually got Fox moving on Deadpool, didn't it?

Wouldn't be surprised if those at Marvel have juggled the idea a bit, maybe for something like a distant Netflix series, but I dunno.  If they keep doing well, I suppose they'll eventually get to it.

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2016, 08:09:17 AM
Why recast Wolvie?

Because while Old Man Logan can still plausibly kick ass, Old Man Jackman has been wanting to retire from the role for a while now and keeps saying this is the last one really no really.  ::)

And yet he keeps making more of them...

Tpek

So, has anyone here (other than myself) been watching the new Iron Fist series?

I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's somewhat bland so far (then again, I never liked the character to begin with).

The only somewhat interesting thing is how they tie this in to the whole new Defenders franchise (according to the new show, the Iron Fist is meant to fight the Hand).

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on March 17, 2017, 06:18:28 PM
So, has anyone here (other than myself) been watching the new Iron Fist series?

I've watched the first 2 episodes and it's somewhat bland so far (then again, I never liked the character to begin with).

The only somewhat interesting thing is how they tie this in to the whole new Defenders franchise (according to the new show, the Iron Fist is meant to fight the Hand).

Binged about half of the series thus far.   It's definitely slow-moving for awhile.  But it's finally started getting interesting at around episode 6.  We'll see if it keeps going.  To be fair, I thought Luke Cage was often pretty slow too.

I've actually been enjoying the Meachum family dramas more than Danny's rather straightforward naivety thus far.  Interesting dramatic roller coaster.  The guy who plays Ward has done an impressive job.  It's not easy making jerk characters the audience can alternately dislike and sympathize with, over & over.

Being Iron Fist, I expected the fight scenes to be a step up from Daredevil's in some aspect.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  Thus far, I think the stuff in DD was better or, at least, more stylized and compelling.

Martok

I happened to catch the first couple episodes when my roommate was watching.  While there was a bit of humor and a couple decent action scenes, overall I second Tpek's assessment of "bland".  There's nothing happening here. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jamus34

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 14, 2016, 08:09:17 AM
Why recast Wolvie?

I see both sides of it. Getting into the shape he needs to be to play wolverine can't be easy, especially as  he gets older but if the studio wants to keep throwing ever increasing ridiculous amounts of money to  play the role you can't really blame him
Insert witty comment here.