Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Playing Cold Water whilst watching The Hunt for Red October  O0
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

Damn, those Russkie ships are TOUGH!  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

sandman2575

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 17, 2017, 08:04:21 AM
Playing Cold Water whilst watching The Hunt for Red October  O0

Haven't picked this up yet, but I know that when I do, I'm going to have Sean Connery's voice in my head whenever I use the active sonar -- "Give me a ping, Vassily. One ping only, please."    8)

Nefaro

Found my first 'Death Star' today..

There was a major storm on the surface.  Bottom was a bit shallow at ~511 feet.  Sonar was washed to hell; ambient noise was 113db.   :o  Couldn't detect any sound except active pings at their range.

Had to go with ye olde Mk1 through the scope.  Broke my Kirov-killin' cherry.  Got a Silver Star for all the tonnage in that encounter (also got it's Oiler replen and a Grisha that tried charging me afterward).

My own marked ranges, throught the scope, were correct.  However, the AI "crew" kept resetting it to an incorrect bearing for some reason.  #:-)  No matter - only need a couple glimpses.

Nefaro

Moved the difficulty up to "Normal" (one notch) and made sure Ironman mode was enabled before starting campaigns today.

First two I got murderized in my first encounters.  Gotta remember to haul ass, and clear datum, when the vultures are overhead and obviously aware of my launch.  :arr:

sandman2575

Pretty atmospheric screenpic, Nef. Nice.

Sir Slash

Damn Nefaro, that's pretty. Almost too pretty to shoot holes into.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jomni

Russian sub stuck in the ice. Actually hard to sink him as my torpedo kept hitting the ice.. He got hit by his own torpedo.

Pete Dero

Version 1.03 Beta Available

New : full in-game unit reference linked to Signature tab

Beta 1.03 crashes the game if you don't remove your override directory : Several changes to the default folder file structure were made which will impact mods and localisations which have edited these files.
Hopefully the mod authors will see this list of changed files and be able to update their mods to be compatible again.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on June 12, 2017, 12:51:09 PM
Do you guys have any links to cold war era submarine tactics military manuals/publications?

Seawolves 'Blue Book' of of Submarine Tactics and Strategy : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=499
The Red Book of Submarine Tactics and Strategy : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=5189

These contain sections on TMA, Fire Control, sonar, weapons, navigation, ship handling, and general tactics (both available for free, initially designed for Jane's 688(I) game)

Some other free documents are available here : http://www.subguru.com/downloads.html

Pete Dero

Also something that isn't very clear in the manual but you can use to make the game behave more realistic.

Distance scaling :  (gameplay options)  http://steamcommunity.com/app/541210/discussions/0/1290691937728475334/

What it does do is change the world scale in the X and Z axes.
This means at 1:1, contacts are much farther out and take longer to get to etc. It is a realistic setting with a much slower pace to the game.

1:4 brings everything in much closer. A contact 15 KYD out is still 15 KYD away, but rendered much closer, is more easily visible (especially underwater) and of course takes much less time to get to/away from. Some would call this less realistic, but is faster paced way to play.

At 1:1 scale, a ship is at 20 kyds and rendered at such. At 1:2, it is still at 20kyds but rendered at 10. At 1:4, it is rendered at 5 kyds in real-world units but the game logic behaves as if it is still 20kyds away. If a player wants a realistic, slow, distance, he would use 1:1 or 1:2 for a little punchier play. If he wants more of a fast-paced experience, he can use 1:3 or 1:4.

Nefaro

Developer mentioned, in live stream earlier, that they're currently working on AI improvements & adding crew voice-overs for patch 1.05.

:hug:

1.04 was released this morning.  Extends campaign length & fixes a few bugs in it.

Jarhead0331

I'm still waiting for those controls before I jump back into this...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 23, 2017, 10:59:39 AM
What controls are you talking about JH? I saw you mentioned it earlier, but the link that took me to the Beta patch info didn't mention any controls
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 23, 2017, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 23, 2017, 10:59:39 AM
What controls are you talking about JH? I saw you mentioned it earlier, but the link that took me to the Beta patch info didn't mention any controls

The UI controls that will let you dive, go to periscope depth, turn, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18