Band of Brothers Ghost Panzers (Bob help required)

Started by JudgeDredd, September 18, 2016, 04:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Hi everyone (and Bob)

As Bob is unavailable for playing online presently, I thought I would start an AAR for the tutorial battle in Ghost Panzers and he can give me tips on things I'm doing wrong or suggestions on what to do.

If anyone else has any ideas, any experience of this game system and can offer advice or see some faults in my logic, then please chime in

So - the first mission is to take two buildings in the middle of the map (20).

The Germans get 4 Infantry units, 1 Weapon Team and 2 Decoys. At least one decoy has to be setup north of the road on the top left quadrant of the map and all the German units have to deploy to the north of the West-East road. They also get 1 Command Point, 1-4 for Operations Range and get to setup first.

The Russians get 5 Infantry units, 4 MG units and 1 Weapon Team. The have to setup second (but get to move first), have an Operations Range of 3-4 and 1 Command Point.

Command Point
Command points are used to re-roll for morale checks, can be used by the player moving second to perform an action first (number of units that can be activated = number of command points available), conduct Final Op fire reroll a Melee roll or increase Proficiency Firepower. Command Points are distributed at the beginning of each turn.

Operations Range
Used to determine how many units can be "activated" before passing the pulse to the other player. In this scenario the Russians must activate at least 3 units and a maximum of 4 and the Germans can activate a minimum of 1 and maximum of 4.

A turn continues whilst there are units to "activate".

Turn 1
Russians
Russians get to move first and get to activate 3-4 units.
1st Unit
Russian Infantry squad in H6 attacks the German unit in G5

The Russian infantry loses it's conceal benefit
No need to check morale for a non suppressed unit
A Russian firepower of 4 is reduced to 2 (the Germans benefit from a -1 conceal + -1 wood building)
A roll of 1 means the German unit is suppressed. The roll does not warrant casualties (roll of 1+casualty rating of 4 on German unit is greater than adjusted firepower of 2)
The conceal counter is removed from the German unit to reveal a Decoy which is also removed
The Russian Infantry squad is marked as used

2nd Unit
The Russian MG squad in G7 attacks F5

The Russian unit loses it's conceal benefit
A firepower of 5 for the Russian MG squad is reduced to 2 (the Germans benefit from -1 conceal + -2 stone building)
A roll of 10 = no action and the German unit keeps it's Conceal counter
Russian MG squad is marked as used

3rd Unit
The Russian Weapon Team in D7 opens fire on the German unit in E6

The Russian WT loses it's conceal benefit
A firepower of 6 for the Weapon Team is reduced to 3  (the German unit benefits from -1 conceal + -2 stone building)
A roll of 3 = German unit is suppressed - roll does not warrant casualties (roll of 1+casualty rating of 4 on German unit is greater than adjusted firepower of 3)
The German unit gets a suppressed chit and the conceal counter is removed to reveal an Infantry Squad
The Russian WT is marked as used

4th Unit
The Russian Infantry Squad in F7 attacks E6

The Russian Infantry Squad loses it's conceal benefit
Firepower of 4 reduced to 2 (the German Infantry Squad benefit from -2 stone building)
A roll of 7 is more than the adjusted firepower of 2 and so no action
The Russian Infantry Squad is marked as used

This concludes the Russians initial step in turn 1
Alba gu' brath

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

ok Bawb - got some more for you

Sorry for the bad quality pictures. The light in my room is terrible. The table is right underneath one, so shines on the map. I can't use the flash because it just bounces off the map (I have ordered a flash that can be angled)...so they are the best I can do given the light and lack of adjustable flash

Turn 1
German Operations Phase
The German can activate 1-4 units and places OpFire markers on 4 units in the hope of catching a Russian player making a move

Russian Operations Phase
The Russian Operation Range is 3-4
1st Unit
The Russian squad moves from C7 to C8-D8 !STOP!
The German squad in F5 attempts OpFire and loses it's Conceal bonus

LOS checks out
There's no need for a morale check because the unit is not suppressed
The proficient FP of 5 is increased by 1 because the squad is marked as OpFire
The range to the target squad is 4 hexes, so a modifier of +4 to the German squad FP of 6 as the squad is in open ground
A roll of 1 is an automatic suppression, but because it can be added to the second Casualty rating of the Russian sqaud (7) and still come under the adjusted German FP of 10, then the Russian squad is eliminated and removed from the map

The German squad has the OpFire marker removed and it is replaced by an Used marker

2nd Unit
The Russian MG squad in C7 opens up on the German squad in E6

The Conceal chit is removed from the Russian MG squad
The Russian FP of 5 is reduced to 3 (-2 for the stone building the German squad are in)
A roll of 9 is a miss

The Russian unit is marked as Used

3rd Unit
The Russian MG squad in C6 opens fire on the German squad in E6

The Conceal chit is removed from the unit but stays on the other unit
The Russian FP of 5 is reduced to 3 (-2 for the stone building the German squad are in)
A roll of 3 equals the modified FP and so the German squad suffers a level of suppression and is fully suppressed

The Russian unit is marked as used

4th Unit
The Russian MG squad in C5 opens up on the German squad in E6
The Conceal chit is removed from the MG squad

A roll of 6 is a miss

The Russian MG squad is marked as used

The Russian Operations Phase has ended.
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Looks good. The only comment I would have is that the last fire action could not have inflicted any further effect on the German squad. Its already fully supressed and the Russian FP was insufficient to cause a step loss. I would have been temped to move it down a couple of buildings to a possible good spot to launch an assault, since the German squad will only recover 1 suppression level.

'Clip those corners'

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Hey Bawb - I think I'm clear on this but just wanted to check. The roll for the Germans attacking the Russians with Op Fire - I read the rules correctly and you can't use a Command Point to make the Germans re-roll?

As I read it, you can use CPs

• to go first when you are the second player to move
  • for a reroll on melee combat roll
  • for a reroll on a morale check
  • to enable Final Op Fire on a unit more than 1 hex away but within normal range
  • to increase proficiency FP

By the way, the game is starting to make "tactical" sense. I'm seeing mistakes I'm making - order of units being activated, when to move, benefits of suppression for the attacker etc...even with such lowly Russian units  O0
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Yeah, there are chess-like aspects where sequencing of actions can be very important, although I guess that applies to most games to some extent.

The use of CP's is as defined in section 3.0 :-)

'Clip those corners'

JudgeDredd

Turn 1
German Operations Phase
The German Operation Range is 1-4

Unit 1
The German units marked as OpFire cannot act unless there's movement.
The German squad in B3 opens fire on the Russian MG squad in C5

The German squad lose their Conceal chit and benefit

The German FP of 6 is reduced to 5 because the Russian squad is in a Wood building
A roll of 8 is a miss

The German squad is marked with a Used marker

Unit 2
The German unit in E6 wants to fire on the Russian WT in D7 but has to pass a morale check

As the unit is fully suppressed, it needs to roll a 1
A roll of 7 is no good
The German player could use a CP to roll again here, but it's not worth it

The German squad is marked as Used

This ends the German's turn as all other units are marked as OpFire

Russian Operations Phase
The Russian player only has 2 units left...I'm making an assumption here that although he has a minimum of 3 and maximum of 4 for his operations range that he can activate less than his minimum number if he doesn't have the minimum number left

Unit 1
The Russian squad in B5 loses it's Conceal chit and bonus

There's no point in the unit opening fire because it can only cause a level of suppression at most and that would be removed from the German unit at the end of the turn anyway, so he decised to redeploy
The squad has 5 movement points and moves from B5 to B6 (2mp)-B7(2mp) and finally B8(1mp)

The Russian squad is marked as Used

Unit 2
The Russian squad in C6 is activated

It loses it's Conceal chit and benefit

It opens up on the German squad in E6
It's FP of 4 is reduced to 2 because the German squad is in a Stone Building
A roll of 0 is always a miss

The Russian Squad is marked as Used

The Russian Operations Phase has ended.

This concludes the Operations phase for both players as all units are effectively used

Rout Phase
Russian Rout Phase
The Russians being the side to move first goes through the rout phase first.
There are no Russian units in the same hex as an enemy unit, adjacent to an enemy unit not in melee or in open ground and in LOS of an enemy unit
German Rout Phase
The Germans rout next and the same situation as the Russians applies

That ends the Rout Phase

Melee Phase
There are no units of opposite sides in the same hex

This ends the Melee Phase

Recovery Phase
All Used and CP chits are removed and all Fully Suppressed markers are turned to their Suppressed side and all Supressed markers are removed

All used chits are removed

The German unit in E7 is reduced from Fully Suppressed to Suppressed

The OpFire markers are removed

The Turn has ended and the Turn Marker is moved to Turn 2
Alba gu' brath

bob48

All good so far, JD. Maybe time for some Russian sacrifices to get into E6 :-)

'Clip those corners'

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

bob48

..there is a commissar with a Nagant standing behind you............

'Clip those corners'

JudgeDredd

But they'll get slaughtered in open ground and there's always final op fire too...they'll never make it
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Uncle Joe accepts no excuses.

A possible infiltration route down the 'H' column ;-}

'Clip those corners'

GJK

Firegroup C5, C6, C7 and C8 against E6 - you should have enough there to break them.  Then assault move F7, G7 and H6 into F6, G6 and H5 respectively.  F5 will have too many targets to fire at though he could opt to spray fire against F6 and G6 at point blank range.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

JudgeDredd

Yeah - I think the problem was when I played the first set of moves, my head wasn't in line with the mechanics.

I know now to suppress - get suppression and they have to pass a morale check which will give me a chance of crossing the open ground without incident. Full suppression would be even better...although given the quality of the Russian troops and the defensive position of the Germans.

It could just come down to what Bob suggests - suicide
Alba gu' brath