Stars In Shadow - Another Space 4X

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2016, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I bought it last night, but then got a key for official impressions today too.

I tinkered last night and also have positive impressions. I plan on playing a little more over the weekend and posting my thoughts asap. Its definitely early access with some missing content, but overall, I still like what I am seeing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 16, 2016, 11:47:30 AM
I bought it last night, but then got a key for official impressions today too.

I tinkered last night and also have positive impressions. I plan on playing a little more over the weekend and posting my thoughts asap. Its definitely early access with some missing content, but overall, I still like what I am seeing.

I'm wanting to pick up Polaris Sector this holiday season.  I'll be interesting on what your thoughts on which may be the better buy.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

My biggest complaint so far is the interface. It's a little wonky. But so far it is holding my interest.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

(Moving/continuing this conversation from the Steam Holiday/Winter Sale thread...) 

So I received a response -- sort of -- from the devs regarding my question about map size.  Quote: 

QuoteWe're experimenting with this, and will have some options to test soon.

So glad to hear they're at least working on it. 

That being said, I think I'm gonna request a refund on the game for now.  I don't imagine the larger map sizes are going to be available anytime soon (odds are good the devs' definition of "soon" is quite different from mine), and in case they end up not working very well -- and/or not added at all (I'm pretty cynical about most game developers at this point) -- I'd just as soon not be out the money, even if it isn't that much. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Surtur

Hi Martok, bigger maps are actually in right now (too many stars might cause performance issues), also the game is 33% off this week!

Stars in Shadow received a major update last week including 2 new factions and a lot of new mechanics (mercenaries, stargates). We have nearly weekly updates coming out and the game has matured a lot over the last months (we are getting close to full release).

The game has been described as more MOO2 than MOO2 was, which I think is fairly accurate. Don't let the comic style fool you, there is more than enough depth there!

Here is a link to last weeks' livestream, I had a chance to chat a bit with Sven about game design and the updates of late.

"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Martok

Thanks Surtur!  I did notice that (about the larger maps).  Just waiting til Friday when payday is here.  8) 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Trooperc7

I put about 6 hrs in on this today......I must admit I like it ! I like it a lot!

Sparhawk

I really don't like early access, but space 4x is my thing, and this game is intriguing. The discount on steam right now convinced me to give it a try. I've only spent a couple hours as the Yoral in my first go through and though the game seems very basic in its presentation I find it solid and engaging. I'm looking forward to see where it takes me.

Surtur

Glad to hear you gents are enjoying it!

Yoral are great to start with, especially when you can start mounting railguns on heavy destroyers (a bit OP at the moment).

Be sure to move your population around to maximize their effectiveness. Especially when you become a species with more than one empire.

Nefaro

Quote from: Surtur on December 12, 2016, 04:00:00 PM

The game has been described as more MOO2 than MOO2 was, which I think is fairly accurate. Don't let the comic style fool you, there is more than enough depth there!

That does sound pretty accurate.

Enjoyed the little bit I've experienced thus far.  Also like the way the artwork, and specifically ships, look.

However, the blue interface everywhere... it's a bit much.   :hide:

~~~>

Martok

Have spent a fair amount of time playing this the last week or so, and have enjoyed it so far.  I'm never going to be a fan of the art style, as I find it detracts from the all-important immersion factor, but it boasts pretty solid gameplay and mechanics. 

Definitely has that "one more turn" thing going for it, as well hitting that sweet spot of being "easy to lean, but hard to master".  It's not going to top Stellaris as being my favorite 4x title or anything, but I can see this making my Top Ten list once it's reached full release state. 

Surtur

Hi guys, we are pleased to say that Stars in Shadow has reached it full release state  <:-)

Many things were changed and improved during EA, including (but not limited to two brand new factions have been implemented, strategic zoom is added, as well as the Galactic Council. Moreover, various new minor races can be discovered and the option to use slaves for scientific experiments is now made available to all players.

Of course a full release does not mean end of support and the team has already started working on post-release updates :)

Ian C

Bought this today. I love the look of it but why have they made Humans the hardest race to play? There's only one Human/Humanoid race and you start off screwed, with no home planet and even on Easy difficulty, I've had to restart four times. Any tips?

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on January 20, 2017, 11:31:10 AM
Bought this today. I love the look of it but why have they made Humans the hardest race to play? There's only one Human/Humanoid race and you start off screwed, with no home planet and even on Easy difficulty, I've had to restart four times. Any tips?

Don't start as the humans. They are designed to be difficult. Start with the Ashdar Colonials.  ;)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak