Are you in Command of your English?

Started by Con, August 18, 2016, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Interesting test.  I took it twice since I didn't quite understand the instructions the first time. 
Word of advice they dont put in any hyphenation which is what tripped me up the first time meaning sleep-walk is sleepwalk and I was scoring those as not a word which screwed up my score

I got a 90% what do you think this nefarious crew of rum swilling grogs can do?
http://vocabulary.ugent.be/wordtest/test

bbmike

Me fail English? That's unpossible!  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Pete Dero

71% for a non-native speaker ...  just enough to post here I hope.

Silent Disapproval Robot

89%. I question "dishful" and "imagability".

Dammit Carl!

At 77%, I have to say that this test is rigged, rigged, I tells ya.

Staggerwing

I got 87. I managed to avoid choosing any of the phony words at least.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

What did I score? I take that to the grave.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MikeGER

You said yes to 66% of the existing words.  <-- yes, i knew "braless" ^-^

You said yes to 0% of the nonwords.     <-- when in doubt i had hit NO, as ordered

This gives you a corrected score of 66% - 0% = 66%.

This is fairly high level for a native speaker   <-- what ? i am not a native speaker

steve58

Actually with so many newly made-up words (e.g., selfie, tweet, bling, noob, etc) I found myself hesitating and second-guessing over several of the "words".  Fake test words today, accepted English and in the dictionary tomorrow. 
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)