New Star Trek RPG on the way

Started by bbmike, July 26, 2016, 07:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Modiphius Entertainment is publishing the next Star Trek RPG. The awesome news is that it IS NOT based on the new Jar Jar crap. Can't wait for this! Anyone familiar with Modiphius?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

As someone who currently owns FASA Trek, LUG Trek (TOS, Next Gen and DS9 books as well as any/all supplements I could find), Decipher Trek (somewhere, I swear), Prime Directive (both GURPS and Amarillo's house rules) and a slew of netbooks, I can honestly say that I need this too.

I love Star Trek like former Speaker of the House Bohener loves scotch and cigarettes.

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on July 26, 2016, 07:02:34 AM
Anyone familiar with Modiphius?

Yes. 

I've also been getting familiar with their relatively new 2d20 system, created by the same guy who did the FFG Star Wars series and WFRP 3rd.  Looks like a really cool RPG system.  One that has some similarities with those FFG games, but doesn't use custom dice.  Notably the different levels & mixtures of success instead of a simple pass/fail system, and some abstracted parts such as zones for movement & range.  The latter of which makes it super easy to play without minis, and easier when you are.

Both of the 2d20 Modiphius games I've been reading have pretty awesome "Lifepath" style character creation.  Kinda like that in Traveller, but with extra.. soul?  It adds background story hooks while you're doing it, and instead of randomly rolling everything (unless you want to), it provides a few character creation points that you can spend to manipulate various parts of your character's previous lifepath (in MC3).  Wonderful stuff. 

I got in on their RE Howard's Conan recently, being finalized at the moment but with sizable preview PDF chunks to read at the moment.  Also have numerous Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition physical books.  Both use the same 2d20 system, generally the same but with appropriate differences to suit the setting in question.  Beautiful quality stuff, and jammed full of content.

O0

I've seen two or three vid reviews on MC3 that were all quite positive.  They use the same system in one or two others but I don't own them... yet?

Drive-thru RPG has Quick Start pdf kits for them, if you want to get an idea how the system generally works.  It's pretty bare bones, with pre-gen characters, but you can see the basics:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/126929/Mutant-Chronicles-3rd-Edition-FREE-Quickstart

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/159673/INFINITY-RPG-FREE-Quickstart

mirth

I'll be keeping an eye on this. Haven't bought a new ST RPG since the FASA days. Still have those books around somewhere.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Also note that the vehicle/ship combat in MC3 is also a bit similar to that in the Star Wars RPGs.

In that the whole player group has a variety of actions they can do, depending on which station they're manning.  Maybe even more so than the Star Wars RPG.  So the flow of some players isn't interrupted by thumb-twiddling while a driver and gunner are having all the fun through the whole stretch.  I imagine they would further expand on this in a Star Trek RPG.

bbmike

I'm not familiar with their 2d20 system. I'll have to look it up. As far as ship combat I'll probably still use SFB to resolve.  :)
We really should think about starting a play-by-forum RPG game here.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on July 26, 2016, 12:20:40 PM
Also note that the vehicle/ship combat in MC3 is also a bit similar to that in the Star Wars RPGs.

In that the whole player group has a variety of actions they can do, depending on which station they're manning.  Maybe even more so than the Star Wars RPG.  So the flow of some players isn't interrupted by thumb-twiddling while a driver and gunner are having all the fun through the whole stretch.  I imagine they would further expand on this in a Star Trek RPG.

I remember doing something similar with FASA's Starship Tactical Combat Simulator. We broke things up into stations. The Captain gave the orders, but it was up to the individual players to allocate power, maneuver the ship, fire weapons, etc. It made for a pretty cool combat system and everyone had something to do in a battle. We used the STCS in conjunction with the RPG. When space combat happened, we broke out a hex mat and the ships and used the STCS charts to game the battle.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: bbmike on July 26, 2016, 12:25:30 PM

Dibs on the yeoman-with-a-horrible-drinking-problem spot!

Nefaro

I loved STCS.  Despite the Fed ships and torpedoes being so OP.  My favorite era of ST, especially the ships.  O0

I'm positive Modiphius will put out a Quick Start for this ST rpg too.  SOP for them.  Around the time they're getting ready to launch the KS (if that's what they're doing with this one).

They also seem to have their KS-to-Production process going fairly quickly & smoothly lately, now that they've been at it numerous times.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on July 26, 2016, 12:38:49 PM
Despite the Fed ships and torpedoes being so OP.

QFT. You had to give the Klingons and Romulans a significant numerical advantage in most battles. Even cloaking devices didn't really level things, particularly with those useless plasma weapons the Romulans had.

I also spent a fair amount of time modding ships to make them somewhat competitive with the Feds.

bbmike

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 26, 2016, 12:35:20 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 26, 2016, 12:25:30 PM

Dibs on the yeoman-with-a-horrible-drinking-problem spot!

Only if the Yeoman is named Otis.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: bbmike on July 26, 2016, 12:47:02 PM
Only if the Yeoman is named Otis.

Not a problem.  Otis is the name and Saurian Brandy is the game!

BanzaiCat

Screw the Gorn and their homing plasma torpedos. Just sayin'.

I have the original FASA RPG books too (light/powder blue covers, three of them). I'd be interested just for the reading material itself.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 26, 2016, 02:08:16 PM
Screw the Gorn and their homing plasma torpedos. Just sayin'.

I have plenty Federation Commander sets to placate my old ST ship-to-ship hexfare battles nowadays.   :)

Also noticed ADB is supposed to have an official Campaign system for it (FC and SFB) coming out sometime in the near future.   ^-^

I'm mostly just into the ship combat, in the ST universe, and not so much role-playing red shirts.  But as far as modern RPG games go, I think it's getting one of the best systems out there, from a quality game company (Modiphius).   

IIRC, Modiphius also has some other ..different.. IPs on the way.  Like John Carter Of Mars and Thunderbirds games.  Their Mutant: Year Zero rpg has also gained some acclaim, although it's a different system.

Dammit Carl!

Curious to see how they play that out; the days of licenced IP games as RPGs aint what they used to be (with the exception of maybe Star Wars perhaps).