1st Wonder Woman trailer (Comicon 2016)

Started by JasonPratt, July 25, 2016, 08:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Action seems legit. Writing (the little in the trailer) seems waaaay weak!  :(

Curious that eindeckers are being used in the film, which would be super-unusual for a WW1 film, and would seem to indicate a very early war situation (although some more advanced biplanes can be briefly seen along with them, too). The photo in BvS was dated 1918. This might be resolved by the setting if the fighting is near Turkey...?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

So that's why the Germans lost WWI. I thought that whole Allied War Effort thing was over-rated. Maybe Aquaman will do a cameo sinking a U-Boat with a Spearfish.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

Quote from: mirth on July 25, 2016, 10:23:16 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 25, 2016, 10:11:52 AM
Maybe Aquaman will do a cameo sinking a U-Boat with a Spearfish.  ::)

:2funny:

Now that it has been said, I must see it, dammit!
Any time is a good time for pie.

OJsDad

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not.  Decided to start it here. 

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni60149298?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL&pf_rd_p=2540377602&pf_rd_r=1PQ1FGFQ7RV2QQ8RKZJH&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_t=15061&pf_rd_i=homepage&ref_=hm_nw_tp4

Quote"Wonder Woman" director Patty Jenkins responded to an open letter allegedly written by a former Warner Bros. employee that slammed the production company for releasing an array of subpar superhero movies, ranging from 2013's "Man of Steel" to this month's "Suicide Squad." The letter then proceeded to allude that "Wonder Woman" would be a "mess."

"Maybe Wonder Woman wouldn't be such a mess," the letter states. "Don't try to hide behind the great trailer. People inside are already confirming it's another mess. It is almost impressive how you keep rewarding the same producers and executives for making the same mistakes, over and over."

Although the identity of the letter's author remains a mystery, Jenkins was less-than-pleased. She released a string of tweets on Friday responding to the scathing words.

Woah, just saw this press about Ww having problems. Are they serious? This is some made up bs right here.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

I'm not getting the same disaster-in-the-making vibes so far off WW. It's World War One after all; it's supposed to be dark and depressing enough to drive Diana into hiding for a hundred years!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Hmmm.... Gonna need proof before I believe it.

Lots and lots of proof...  :coolsmiley:
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Lord, I hope this scene makes it into the movie

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

Does this mean she and Green Lantern can be....... what the hell would they be?  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: OJsDad on September 29, 2016, 05:00:12 PM
I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya!

http://www.maxim.com/entertainment/dc-comics-wonder-woman-bisexual-2016-9

I've been wondering whether they'll ever loop around (or if they've already done so -- I don't keep up with her canon much) to point out the true subversiveness of her situation: she lives on a lesbian island and wants to seek out a good romantic relationship with a man.  :o

I suspect this is why the romantic angle of her origin (operating in "man's world" anyway) has been downplayed a lot (though not always) in recent years. Looks like the new author team will be downplaying or eliminating that, too, because if she leaves to seek a romantic relationship with man that would be "diminishing her character". No, dummies, she's taking a radical stance against her conservative longstanding culture, and it's even more embarrassing that she's the one doing it because she's not only the heir: she's the only really viable success so far at trying to reproduce Amazon numbers without men!!

The new author team is stupid. Of course the Amazons have a concept of being gay; they wouldn't call it that, but they have it. (Not the historical Amazons, whatever they were, or in myth, but in DC's general version of them.) They might call it lesbianism (or maybe not, depending on what they recall as true about Lesbos!), but they'd recognize it: they know perfectly well that men are necessary for reproduction, and go strongly hard in rejecting the company of men at every socio-cultural level (except for rape-seducing sailors occasionally as "sirens" to help keep population up, per recent Nu52 canon -- not sure what the Rebirth canon will do with that -- but that's a resented fact of life which they partially express by murdering all the sailors afterward if they can). They aren't just gay, they're militantly anti-hetero, and they have cultural reasons both historical and mythical (in the sense of being poetically meaningful) for that choice of lifestyle -- which IS very much an ideologically chosen lifestyle for them. The whole point to them wearing those bracelets is that they serve as a reminder to being enslaved sexually thanks to Herakles seducing their queen! (That's also related to why, traditionally, they lose their power if someone can connect the bracelets.) They aren't accidentally on that island without men, they (or their ancestors in some cases) chose that situation and willingly continue to enforce it as far as they can get away with doing so.

Edited to add: granted, if the writing team is changing all that background, then maybe the Amazons could be so culturally ignorant as to have no concept of being distinct from heterosexual behavior. That wouldn't exactly be flattering to them as an advanced culture -- do they really think storks bring babies to birds and bees?? -- but I suppose it's one possible way to write them.

I suspect the writers are just being liberally foggy, though, with concept trendiness.

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mirth

I liked Gal Gadot in BvS and I want the Wonder Woman movie to do well, but the trailers just seem bland.

Martok

Quote from: mirth on November 04, 2016, 12:22:32 PM
I liked Gal Gadot in BvS and I want the Wonder Woman movie to do well, but the trailers just seem bland.
Unfortunately, I agree with you.  The Comic-Con trailer was more interesting, but neither has me particularly excited for the film so far. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash