Kong: Skull Island

Started by mirth, July 23, 2016, 06:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I would suggest a Godzillaverse thread to accrue all related movie news (since Kong: Skull Island takes place in the Monarchverse, for want of a better name, setting up GvsKong later) -- but despite rumors and a shared production crew, Pacific Rim: Maelstrom doesn't sound like it'll be a reboot but a sequel, and so not set in the Monarch continuity after all.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/pacific-rim/253193/pacific-rim-2-first-photos

Specifically, the heroic Stormtrooper rebel from The Force Awakens will be playing the son of Alba's character Stacker Pentacost. I don't know how that could even possibly segue into being part of the Monarch continuity.  :'(

I'm still rooting for the film, and I'm sure I'll see it, but I'm necessarily less excited than if they were going to reboot it into G2014's continuity.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MIGMaster

I'm surprised that PETA hasn't tried to get people to boycott the movie.  Giant apes are very rare !

mirth

Anyone seen this? The reviews have been decent. Sounds like a good "popcorn" flick.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

I'll be seeing it this weekend if possible -- doesn't open here in the states until then.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 15, 2017, 08:44:06 AM
I'll be seeing it this weekend if possible -- doesn't open here in the states until then.

I thought it opened on the 10th here?

MikeGER

Quote from: mirth on March 15, 2017, 08:37:48 AM
Anyone seen this? The reviews have been decent. Sounds like a good "popcorn" flick.

yes, i have seen it last Saturday

Apocalypse Jurassic Kong -skull island 
yes, its a popcorn flick and i felt entertained and was not disappointed about the 20E i had spend on that eve ...incl. the popcorn :)

it has some homage shots (and soundtrack) to Apocalypse Now, sometimes that's was a little overdone and also lesser so to Jurassic Park movies (probably JP3) 
Kong character himself does not much develop a romantic relationship to the female protagonist as it was a mayor theme in the older Kong movies.
its a good monster movie and a nice 2h escape from the always burdening reallife.   

mirth

Sir Slash

I got $20 on Kong. Any takers?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Not me. I doubt that in the end those armless Sleestak critters will stand a chance.

BTW, that is one Big-assed Kong. He's already supersized enough for a Godzilla V. Kong sequel.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 15, 2017, 06:36:51 PM
BTW, that is one Big-assed Kong. He's already supersized enough for a Godzilla V. Kong sequel.

They needed to supersize him to take on Sam Jackson.

Sir Slash

I'm waiting for him to say, "I'm tired of these MF monsters on this MF island"!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I'm here to talk to you about the KAIJU AVENGER INITIATIVE!  :D :D :D :smitten:

(But should have had one of the jaeger pilots with him instead of Nova Corps.)

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 18, 2017, 12:35:41 PM
(But should have had one of the jaeger pilots with him instead of Nova Corps.)

Pacific Rim isn't MCU. Nick Fury wouldn't know any Jaeger pilots.

JasonPratt

No, but they're riffing on Jackson and Hiddleston being in the Avengers films, combined with Kaijuverse universe building. Supposedly, Pacific Rim will be incorporated into this eventually. (No doubt in a reboot or something; I gather PacRim2 isn't it yet.)