The Duchess - a kickstarter gaming table 48 hours left

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 11, 2016, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been dithering over whether or not to back this project as I'd prefer a 6'x4' table but, for the price, I finally caved and ordered one today.

Should've checked here to see if anyone wanted to go in on a 4 pack.  Oh well...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1296268806/the-duchess-a-gaming-table-from-boardgametablescom?ref=hero_thanks

bbmike

Congrats! That is a beautiful table.  O0

For me, it's still too expensive. With a top it costs $800. Much lower price than in the past but after reading GJK's thread on building one from scratch I'm still thinking about going that route. I do think that there is a demand for these tables. If someone could make one  with a top for around $400-$500 I wouldn't hesitate.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

That is a very nice looking table that looks every much as good as some tables that I've seen that cost twice as much (or more).  Making a table that has a lid that can open/be removed with a deep recess area underneath was the greatest thing for me.  I can leisurely play a turn or two of a large game and then close the lid and come back to it in a few days or weeks or whenever.  If I were advising people on what to look for in a gaming table, some things to look for would be:

1. How easy is it to remove/replace the tabletop?

2. Can the top be replaced without the possibility of disturbing a game inside?
3. How deep of a recess is there (clearance) under the tabletop?  This is subjective but I like to store the gamebox, manuals, my dice tower (laying on its side) and whatever else all in there so that I can quickly get back to playing.
4. Make sure it's a good, sturdy table.  If there's any wobble or play in it should it get bumped- well, that wouldn't be good.
5. Is the tabletop going to protect a game that is inside should liquids be spilled?  Some designs have the top remove in sections.  If that table is also acting as the dining room table and food or drinks are spilled...also not good.

Now, whether to buy one or make one yourself- that just depends.  If you've got the spare cash, have little or no woodworking skills and the table will be a showpiece in your home, then yeah, it would make sense to buy a nice quality gaming table for sure.  And conversely, if money is a little tight and you welcome the opportunity to do some woodworking stuff then the tables are out there.  I see suitable tables every weekend when I stop into some local thrift stores/Goodwill stores.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd love to build my own.  Sadly, I don't have the space for a workshop or even tools (gotta love living in the most expensive city in Canada).  A co-worker said I could use his garage if I wanted so I looked into building my own and found some plans online. I figure I could get it done in 3-4 days during a week off (so 6-7 in reality).  I costed it out.  Materials, tools,pipe clamps, and rental beer was going to run me a minimum of $600 so I just went with this instead.  Almost the same price.  No need to kick myself if (honestly when) I screw something up during the build, and I'm not stuck with a bunch of clamps I'll need to get rid of in the end.

GJK

Sounds like you made the wise move SDR.  Realistically, the project would take longer than a week even working 8 hours a day on it and then you'd of faced the difficulties of working it out with your buddy to allow you to extend the time to store all of your materials.  My project took months but I had to strip all of the old finish off of the table and there were many times that I almost gave up because that was tedious.  But putting on a good finish (a few coats) and then a few good coats of polyurethane would take 3-4 days in itself.  In addition to the table itself ($35), I purchased the board that goes underneath, a nice rubber poker mat, finish, polyurethane, a circular sander, a paint sprayer (for an even finish and clear kote) and several pieces of hardware (most of it not used after I finally figured out how I was going to "hinge" the tabletop).  So I spent a good couple of hundred bucks and spent I don't know how many hours doing the project.  Damn glad that I finished it though!  Realistically, (for Mike), you could get a decent table for the $25-$45 range at Goodwill.  A piece of 4'x8' thin plywood for $30 (for underneath) and some felt (if you wanted) and a very cheap piece of whitewood stud and complete the project if you just needed a simple "hideaway" game table.  You could always go back and refinish it if you felt that it needed to be done at a later time. That's a no-frills, on-the-cheap way to make a gaming table but again, you'd need at the least a circular saw (preferable a tablesaw) and the space and time to complete the project.   
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Crossroads

Wow, how neat! Made of true wood as well. Congratulations  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

panzerde

Hmmm...sorely tempted. I don't need a top (and probably not cup holders) but I wouldn't mind replacing my buffet tables with something nicer looking.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

SDR, did you spring for the top and cupholders?
That price is mighty tempting... I really shouldn't be spending any big money for at least a year but all the games on my game shelf are yelling to be allowed to spend some time out of their cardboard prisons... ( :tickedoff: <-- my games)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah.  I thought about getting the basic table and just building my own cover but then I figured since it was going to be spending most of its time as my kitchen table, I might as well get the works.

Nefaro

If this were offered about a year and a half ago, I would've jumped on it.

Hell.. I'm surprised some regular table manufacturers haven't started offering a mass produced line of game tables that come with a dinner table cover.  Last I looked, the offerings were all very high priced hand-made stuff.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Another team is kickstarting their own table.  I like the look of the Duchess better, but this one's got some cool features that I'd like.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geeknson-kickstarter/the-taylah-boardgame-and-dining-table-by-geeknson?ref=project_page_recs

bbmike

That's another nice table. Still pricey and my other problem is space. I need a small desk (24"x42") to fit in my tiny room. I think that's why I'll probably end up building my own.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

Hey SDR, how does that tabletop attach on the Dutchess?  Is it a solid piece or in sections?  (looked to be solid).  Also curious about how it anchors to the frame of the table.  That was the biggest conundrum in mine, how to have the tabletop easily remove yet still stay stable when in place since it's so big and heavy.  I'd be curious to know what they came up with.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bbmike on July 12, 2016, 05:22:17 AM
That's another nice table. Still pricey and my other problem is space. I need a small desk (24"x42") to fit in my tiny room. I think that's why I'll probably end up building my own.

this is too big then?

http://www.carolinagametables.com/product/coffee-game-table/
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers