Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on March 03, 2017, 07:25:57 AM
Sort of got to the bottom of the CTD issue.  Mods.  Appears that with the recent upgrade some incompatible mods don't show up as such on the issue screen like they used to. I went in and disabled all mods and now the game runs just fine, with no CTD's.  But I couldn't tell which mod or mods were the problem.

Can you please post what mods you are using? I can take a look and find out. I'd find it interesting to see what mess someone's made.
The problem is, some modders make a slight change to a main file without using the updated one and think it's ok to just change the version number on the mod tag so the current game can run it as compatible. They miss the point that the entire updated file holds data for lots of game functions, not just their changes. Thankfully these are only very simple mods that are easily corrected.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on March 03, 2017, 07:38:40 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 03, 2017, 07:25:57 AM
Sort of got to the bottom of the CTD issue.  Mods.  Appears that with the recent upgrade some incompatible mods don't show up as such on the issue screen like they used to. I went in and disabled all mods and now the game runs just fine, with no CTD's.  But I couldn't tell which mod or mods were the problem.

Can you please post what mods you are using? I can take a look and find out. I'd find it interesting to see what mess someone's made.
The problem is, some modders make a slight change to a main file without using the updated one and think it's ok to just change the version number on the mod tag so the current game can run it as compatible. They miss the point that the entire updated file holds data for lots of game functions, not just their changes. Thankfully these are only very simple mods that are easily corrected.

Colored Buttons, Increased Resources, Better Terrain View, Better Political Map, Strategic View Adjustments, Historical Portraits, No EXP for Divisions, No Mans Land, and Colored Historical Loading Screens.

I also have the Together for Victory DLC.

Thanks, Ray

Ian C

Ok, off the bat I can say without checking that Colored Buttons, Strategic View Adjustments, No EXP for Divisions, No Mans Land will work. The DLC isnt your issue also.
Will check the rest.

Ian C

Ok-

DLC -safe

Colored Buttons -safe

Strategic View Adjustments -safe

No EXP for Divisions -safe

No Mans Land -safe

Increased Resources - UNSAFE uses files which have changed since 1.3.3 and also mod not updated.

Historical Portraits (by Mauno ?) - should be safe

Better Terrain View -should be safe but not updated since last year.

Better Political Map - -should be safe but not updated since last year.

Historical Portraits - -should be safe

Colored Historical Loading Screens - War Posters by Rutherfrodo? -should be safe but not updated

Rayfer

Thanks IC.   :notworthy:  I'm going to check them out today to see what happens.  Still makes me wonder why the red exclamation point warning doesn't show like it used to?

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on March 03, 2017, 09:38:04 AM
Still makes me wonder why the red exclamation point warning doesn't show like it used to?

What -not at all on any of the mods?

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on March 03, 2017, 09:58:19 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on March 03, 2017, 09:38:04 AM
Still makes me wonder why the red exclamation point warning doesn't show like it used to?

What -not at all on any of the mods?

All the mods I listed above were active and none showed a red-exclamation point after the latest patch.  I unsubscribed to all, then re-subscribed and re-activated colored buttons, strategic view adjustments, no exp for divisions and no mans land, and so far no CTD's.

steve58

Quote from: Rayfer on February 25, 2017, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: Ian C on February 25, 2017, 06:37:35 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 24, 2017, 07:25:28 PM
Crap. First game with the new patch and two years into a campaign I get a CTD. It repeats itself when I reload a prior save. A look at the Steam forums shows others having similar CTD's.   :'(

Try clicking the 'Clear User Directory' button on the game launcher then re-launch.

Previous files from an earlier game version sometimes screws up the game and causes a CTD.

Thanks, but it didn't work. Even went on the Paradox site, via a Steam link, and followed their suggestions and it didn't work.  Odd though, they suggested: Navigate to My Documents > Paradox Interactive > Hearts of Iron 4 then Delete the "map" and "sharedcache" folder.  Went to there but only the sharedcache folder existed, there was no map folder?  This didn't work either.

Just a shot in the dark here, but maybe try creating that map folder and see what happens with the mods?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on March 03, 2017, 10:35:20 AM

All the mods I listed above were active and none showed a red-exclamation point after the latest patch. 

Ok. That's because some of those modders instead of re-doing their code on the new game version files, just amend the file name header with a new version number so it shows as being compatible when it's not and that's lazy and appalling. The old files then break the game because the old data is incompatible with other newer files. Crash.

Greybriar

Bundle Stars is offering Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet Edition and Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel Edition for 33% off which are $26.79 and $33.49, respectively.

Entering code SPRING10 is supposed to get you 10% off purchases from Bundle Stars, excluding Star Deals and Bundles.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

FarAway Sooner

I've never been so excited to buy a game... eventually.  Just not yet.  I want the AI to be competent and the division spam issue to be solved.  I have faith it'll get there, but I'll wait for it.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 23, 2017, 05:04:01 PM
I've never been so excited to buy a game... eventually.  Just not yet.  I want the AI to be competent and the division spam issue to be solved.  I have faith it'll get there, but I'll wait for it.

The AI most assuredly not to that point, even with the DLC and latest patch.   Not even really in the ballpark, or even the area code, especially for the Axis. 

The division spam issue was greatly reduced by the last patch, but is still a problem, albeit much more manageable than before.

Supposedly the next patch, 1.4 "Oak" will address the AI yet again.  We'll see.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

This game is on sale for 40% off right now. I would love to buy it....But, my library is already full of beautiful, mostly well designed games with crap AI. I do not need another one. I would rather have the two cases of good wine I could have had  rather than all of that useless hard drive garbage.  Over a grand, heavens, maybe two, down the toilet and counting.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

fabius

The AI needs a lot of love.

But, for what it's worth, with Expert AI 2.0 mod and difficulty buffs sliders up some for major enemies I get a decent game out of it for decent periods of the war.

Also, I don't always min-max, and go with flavour roll play sometimes, like not taking Sweden everytime for tungsten and Moar factories.

My take is at 40% is easily worth it you Grand Strategy wargame is your thing. Also, easily the best if not one of the best already- the competition scant as it is doesn't compare for me.

Pete Dero

Death or Dishonor will be available for $9.99 on Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs — and will be delivered for free to all Expansion Pass owners.

Death or Dishonor introduces new National Focus trees for Hungary, Romania, Czechoslovakia, and Yugoslavia, which revolve around navigating the ideological (and physical) land mines of central Europe during World War II. This content furthers Paradox's goal of capturing the unique wartime experience of every nation involved in World War II, but players will also find new opportunities to change the course of history if they so choose.

Death or Dishonor – and the accompanying free update – will also include:

Revamp of Air Gameplay: Take to the skies with new mechanics and quality of life updates that make it easier to bring your airpower to bear.
    Equipment Conversion: Update your arsenal by converting older units — or make use of captured enemy vehicles and gear.
    New Music and Art: Three new thematic musical tracks from composer Andreas Waldetoft, new art content for the four focus nations, and new troop voiceovers.
    New Diplomatic and Puppet Interactions: License military technology to bring other nations' weapons to the field or sell your advances to the highest bidder. Fascist countries get new subject levels like Reichskommissariat, with access to licenses, industry and strategic resources. The instated governments are held in an iron grip, making it harder for them to break free.
    Improved Map Design and Display: the world map has been clarified to make it easier to follow the action around the world. New impassable areas create tactical choke-points and more historical gameplay

Release date : to be announced