Conflict of Heroes

Started by acctingman, April 09, 2016, 04:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Has anyone played this? What's your take on it?

I'm looking at the solo rules and they seem highly thought of.

bob48

I have the 3 games published so far, and other odd bits of expansions in the form of map and counters, but not the solo stuff. As a game system, its damn good and the components are first class.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Richie61

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Barthheart

Fancy new avatar threads there Richie!  O0

Richie61

Quote from: Barthheart on April 09, 2016, 11:14:40 PM
Fancy new avatar threads there Richie!  O0

Yeah!  :D It was made by a friend  :) Way beyond my skill levels.
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Arctic Blast

I'd love to get in to this system, but good luck finding it at the moment.  Academy seems to be having issues keeping this game in print. :-[

bob48

I'd sell you all my stuff, but shipping it would cost more than the games :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

ArizonaTank

Great system, wonderful components.  I have all three.  I managed to find them on Board Game Geek auctions.  But definitely hard to acquire.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bob48 on April 10, 2016, 02:34:06 PM
I'd sell you all my stuff, but shipping it would cost more than the games :-)

Yeah, that would be a bit prohibitive.  ;D

QuoteGreat system, wonderful components.  I have all three.  I managed to find them on Board Game Geek auctions.  But definitely hard to acquire.

I think Storm of Steel's 2nd Edition is supposed to be out soon, so that should be attainable. Hopefully.

Crossroads

Took the plunge and finally ordered Awakening the Bear as a birthday present to myself. There's always the excuse right. If this half meets my expectations - and I am sure it will - I will then order the Price of Honour to follow up. I've yet to find the perfect system for squad level combat, maybe this is it O:-)

Having said that, I've not given up on LnL tactical, will be nice to have two distinct systems to compare. I prefer mid level complexity, so these two systems seem like good candidates to test the scale.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Moezilla

I really enjoy CoH, along with BoB and recently LnLT. Each has their own vibe and fits its own niche within the niche of tactical wargames. With how the alternating impulses work, the one move/action for each player gives CoH almost a real-time feel to it. It has less chrome than LnL and has likely one of the best rule books out there for learning in a stepped approach. Recently did a review on both AtB and Guadalcanal and enjoy each very much, next up is digging into the East Front solo expansion and Firefight Generator.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The only one I've played is Guadalcanal and I think it's great.  I've only played the first 3 scenarios.  Keep meaning to get it back on the table but every time I bring it to the FLGS, there isn't enough space for a 2 player table so we end up shelving it in favour of a group game.

chemkid

the solo expansion for AtB is sooooo very good! never missed a 'real' opponent since playing against this AI... (not, that i've got that much choice... :( )

anyhow, i've noticed the first signs of card-collecting-addiction kicking in since starting with arkham horror LCG (LCG = Look! Cash's gone! - best translation ever, but not mine!!!) and after setting up a game of CoH something felt VERY wrong - ONLY 50+ cards on the table and no booster-pack on it's way to my FLGS!!!

:DD

Crossroads

First blood with CoH game system, as we had the first Price of Honour session with Tinkershuffle today. Started with Firefight 4: The Black Brigade, as it had an interesting situation, a decent amount of counters with infantry, armoured cars, tanks and indirect fire with mortars.  Price of Honour also introduces airplanes, striking and bombing, but we put that aside to get into the system with this mix first. No cavalry either, yet, next one!

Gotta love the detail put into the unit variety in these games, being an early war buff everything's there, the various German light tanks, as well as Soviet and Polish units. Nice surprise with the latest Awakening the Bear 2ed box, as the counter tray had a lid made of transparent plastic. Neat!

Here's the setup, all ready for the fist turn with Germans with initiative. 8 command points per side, albeit German units with lower firing costs will go longer. They have to, that's quite a defence to break through!

We played this until beginning of turn three, when we called it a day as a learning experience. Germans were bogged down in the hills with some awful luck with dice, and would have faced an uphill battle from here.

Next time we'll try a 2x2 team game, should be fun  :smitten:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Really liked the rules, I prefer the medium complexity in order to have more time on tactics and less with re-reading the rule book. Our first session, took us some three hours to get into turn three, but as we stopped we also were quite into the groove. Next game should play much faster.

Also liked the units, as noted earlier there's more chrome with Lock n Load Tactical, but as someone moving down the squad sized units for the first time I really preferred how everything was a squad or a fire team here, rather than adding weapon chits to units. Tanks were nicely abstracted as well, with turret movement for instance an extra action point to pay.

Fun action cards, nice damage control with pulled chits for fire effect and two-hits-your-gone. I can see the caveat with seven action point limits to units, and even consider command points that could lead to player having more units moving freely about towards the end of the turn. Then again, calls for more careful planning for the side with less units, and there's always the action cards to pull a surprise from your sleeve with a free action or something similar.

The series enjoyes a stellar rep, and I can see why  :smitten: