Let's Play Name That Ship!

Started by LongBlade, March 21, 2016, 11:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

QuoteWhen the Natural Environment Research Council in the UK put the naming of its $300 million Antarctic survey vessel to a public vote online, well, the Internet had a little fun.

NERC asked for "an inspirational name that exemplifies the work" the ship will do, and suggestions ranged from the, yes, inspirational ("Henry Worsley," the former British Army officer and explorer who died in January trying to cross Antarctica without aid) to the literal ("It's bloody cold out here") and the snarky ("Notthetitanic").

But the current front-runner is "Boaty McBoatface," reports the Independent. The name has garnered 21,000-plus votes, nearly 10 times as many as the second highest "Henry Worsley." The NERC has set April 16 as a deadline and noted that it will choose the name.

Meanwhile, the communications manager who submitted Boaty McBoatface has since apologized, though it's not likely to disappear—it's even got its own Twitter hashtag. Still, in the realm of Internet silliness and snark, things could be worse.

source: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/03/21/uk-asks-internet-to-name-vessel-gets-boaty-mcboatface.html?intcmp=hplnws
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

Sooner or later people will learn not to run internet polls with write-in options for names.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

Sailors have always had nicknames for their own ships that usually don't get out.  Lately it's become pretty common, like the carrier Theodore Roosevelt is The Big Stick.
Eleanor Roosevelt, who travelled far and wide during the war, once was taken aback when she discovered that the crew's nickname for the carrier Bonhomme Richard was The Biggest Dick in the Pacific.  She had a ladylike chuckle.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

undercovergeek

I think the poll leader is hilarious but there's no way it'll be the name - they've already said its been highly entertaining but the winner won't necessarily be the chosen name - cop out if you ask me

Sir Slash

I suppose my choice, "Shipey Mc Shipface" has no chance.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Arctic Blast

Nefaro

Evidently the poll ended, and everyone's just waiting for the winning result to be tossed out.

But there are even more hilarious examples of such online naming polls in the following article:

QuoteForget the EU referendum. The major test of modern democracy has fallen into the hands of the Natural Environment Research Council – over the naming of a boat.

As the polls finally closed for the naming of its new polar research ship, the NERC confirmed that the votes were overwhelmingly in favour of RRS Boaty McBoatface.

The suggestion, which sent the competition viral last month, received 124,109 votes, four times more than RRS Poppy-Mai – named after a 16-month-old girl with incurable cancer – which came in second place.

The chief executive of the NERC, Duncan Wingham, with whom the final decision lies, now faces the dilemma of choosing between the credibility of his organisation – and its £200m arctic explorer – and the overwhelming burden of public opinion.

If Wingham does bow to the Boaty McBoatface campaign, it will mark something of a departure from previous royal research ships named in honour of arctic explorer Ernest Shackleton and naval officer James Clark Ross.

The name was first put forward by former BBC radio presenter James Hand, who expressed surprise at the furore Boaty McBoatface has caused.

"This is actually nothing to do with me," he said. "I made the suggestion but the storm that's been created – it's got legs of its own. I just feel it's a very British thing, which a lot of people have pointed out."

Hand added that while he stands by Boaty McBoatface as a "brilliant name" for the research ship, he actually voted for RRS David Attenborough, which came in fifth with 10,284 votes overall.

Tweeting after the poll closed on Saturday, Hand said it had been "a crazy few weeks".

The NERC thanked everyone for their suggestions on its website, posting: "We are no longer accepting suggestions to name our ship as we have now reached the closing date of 16 April.

"We've had an extremely high volume of suggestions and will now review all of the suggested names. The final decision will be announced in due course."

The research council received more than 7,000 entries during the month-long competition period, including RRS Onion Knight, RRS I Like Big Boats & I Cannot Lie, and RRS Capt'n Birdseye Get Off My Cod.

The Boaty McBoatface saga is not the first time online polls have gone awry. Greenpeace launched a campaign to name a humpback whale in the South pacific in an attempt to keep them from being poached by the Japanese. The poll prompted a voting frenzy after Mr Splashy Pants was put forward – and ended up winning 78% of the vote.

Similarly in 2012, soft drinks brand Mountain Dew was forced to abandon a poll to name its new apple-flavoured drink after it was hijacked by message board 4chan who ensured that "Hitler did nothing wrong" won the vote.

The city of Austin, Texas, also learned the perils of public voting after a poll to rename the Solid Waste Services Department ended up with an overwhelming number of votes to call it The Fred Durst Society of the Humanities and Arts as an ode to the Limp Bizkit singer.

Despite an endorsement from Durst himself, the city shunned democracy in favour of Austin Resource Recovery.

The top five suggestions are:

RRS Boaty McBoatface – 124,109
RRS Poppy-Mai – 34,371
RRS Henry Worsley – 15,231
RRS It's bloody cold here – 10,679
RRS David Attenborough – 10,284

• This article was amended on 17 April 2016. Fred Durst is the lead singer of Limp Bizkit, not Linkin Park as originally stated.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/apr/17/boaty-mcboatface-wins-poll-to-name-polar-research-vessel

LOL!

;D
;D
;D

steve58

So the "Boaty McBoatface" name will live on, not on the polar research vessel (to be christened the RSS Sir David Attenborough), but on the Attenborough's drone submarine.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/05/06/meet-boaty-mcboatface-drone-submarine.html?intcmp=hpff

Meet Boaty McBoatface

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bob48

Sir David is awesome - I'm really pleased about the naming decision.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I hope they use Boaty McBoatface to track down Mr. Splashypants.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

undercovergeek

did they actually name it that? thats brilliant

bayonetbrant

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 13, 2017, 11:17:03 AM
did they actually name it that? thats brilliant

they named the remote launch Boaty McBoatface
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

dammit - i was hoping it was the ship