The Lordz Games Studio strikes a licence deal on Check Your 6!

Started by Lord Zimoa, February 01, 2016, 06:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie61

Thanks guys. Kinda what I've been reading the reviews on-line. I excepted a lot more from this title. Maybe updates and added content with come out soon.
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Johnnie

I wanted so much to like this game.  But:  the interface is klunky, it is difficult to smoothly change altitude or speed; the joystick is silly;  once the action starts, after allocating who is firing at whom, it is impossible to determine which plane is firing at which;   it is hard to determine which side is which, at any distance, all the planes appear to be the same color which also blends into the ground colors (leading, for me in any case, to eye strain each time I try to play); the manual and the "game rules" are inadequate and incomplete;  and, last but not least, play is work and very mechanical, and not in any way immersive (much inferior, in this respect, to Talon Soft's old Achtung Spitfire, if only I could get that to play on windows 10.)

I think I will put it aside until and unless it is substantially modified.  I think this my first Slitherene clunker.     

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Johnnie on March 20, 2018, 10:10:27 PM
....... I think this my first Slitherene clunker.   

LOL I have plenty of them!!!!  IMHO among the Slitherine/Matrix clunkers I own this is one of the better games...so it is one of the best of the worst...that is something...:)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Barthheart

Update with Skirmish mode....

Quotev1.1.0 Public Beta is available - with Skirmish mode added!
Hi Everyone,

Slightly later than anticipated, but here is the public beta version of the 1.1.0 update.

The most important change is the addition of a Skirmish mode. You can find it in the main menu, and it will let you setup a single player / hotseat game freely. You will see it has plenty of parameters to tweak in relation to the map, the planes, and optional rules.
We hope it is quite straightforward to use, but do let us know if you have any questions.

To join the open beta, right-click Check Your 6 in your Steam Library, choose Properties, and then the Beta tab.

Here, in the drop-down menu you should find "open-beta" select it. Steam will update your game, and you will be ready to go. To opt out, unselect this version.

Here is the list of changes:

Major changes and fixes
• Added Skirmish
• Added aircraft-type- and gun-type-specific sounds
• Fixed an issue when Campaign progress was reset due to multiplayer game overwriting scenario completion status

Minor changes and fixes
• Fixed Multiplayer issues: wrong information when the wrong password was entered; wrong information tooltip when selecting side of conflict;
• Fixed highlighting of buttons
• Fixed some spelling errors
• Fixed issue with displaying Anti-Aircraft units in Skirmish setup
• Fixed discrepancy in animation and sound of Anti-Aircraft units
• Aircraft indicators (aka ghosts) improved

Boggit

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 18, 2018, 05:23:45 PM
CY6 reminds me more of Avalon Hill/Big Time Software's Achtung Spitfire and Over the Reich than it does the Talonsoft games.

Those two games were a league of their own. I'd just love to see them updated for present day PC's. IMHO, they are the standard to which tactical air war games are measured.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mirth

For table top, CY6 is the gold standard for tactical air combat. It's unfortunate that the PC version doesn't seem to measure up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Yskonyn

Quote from: mirth on May 08, 2018, 05:42:39 PM
For table top, CY6 is the gold standard for tactical air combat. It's unfortunate that the PC version doesn't seem to measure up.

If you are talking about WW2 era I agree, but for modern air combat I think Birds of Prey is the better game.

Regardless, I am also dissapointed with CY6 digital. Its lifeless and mechanical rather than fun and pretty to look at. 😒
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 09, 2018, 12:51:15 AM

If you are talking about WW2 era I agree, but for modern air combat I think Birds of Prey is the better game.

Regardless, I am also dissapointed with CY6 digital. Its lifeless and mechanical rather than fun and pretty to look at. 😒
What in your opinion does CY6 need to have in order to reach that sweet spot that is the gold standard?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Yskonyn

Quote from: Boggit on May 09, 2018, 05:02:17 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on May 09, 2018, 12:51:15 AM

What in your opinion does CY6 need to have in order to reach that sweet spot that is the gold standard?

We're talking about modern era now, aren't we?
The segmentation into simple speed and altitude modifier numbers instead of much more detailed system of BoP (where speed relates to altitude and engine power) is one thing.
Also, load G-load mechanics are abstracted too much imo.
In short; BoP is more an air combat simulation while CY6 Modern is more a game, if you will.
I realise that for the less hardcore individual CY6 might very well be the gold standard.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mirth

I found BoP far too complex, particularly if it is being run as a convention game. CY6 strikes a balance between complexity and playability. I have no doubt BoP is more realistic, but it isn't as much fun too play imo.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Yskonyn

It 'looks' complex indeed, but once you have run through the sequence of play a few times its a remarkable efficient and speedy game.
I don't want to judge, but I believe your remark might be just because of lack of experience?
Anyway, first appearances count as well I guess. :)
YMMV

Nefaro

I still haven't picked up the PC version.

I could deal with the dark & low tablet-level graphics, a con from my first peek, but the setting is also very low on my air combat interest list.  In whole of 20th century air combat, the Battle Of Britain is on my low end of interest.  Combined with a possible lack of aircraft & mission variation, along with no mission/campaign generation(?), I'm inclined to wait until more content is added.  Unfortunately.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on May 11, 2018, 01:56:16 AM

I could deal with the dark & low tablet-level graphics, a con from my first peek, but the setting is also very low on my air combat interest list.  In whole of 20th century air combat, the Battle Of Britain is on my low end of interest.  Combined with a possible lack of aircraft & mission variation, along with no mission/campaign generation(?), I'm inclined to wait until more content is added.  Unfortunately.
lol. I'm glad Dowding didn't take that view.

Can you imagine him being asked what he was going to do to protect the UK from imminent and absolute invasion and him sitting back in his chair, lighting up and saying "It doesn't really interest me...all we've got are Spitfires, Hurricanes and a couple of other obsolete pieces of crap and we don't even have enough. Nah...I'm going to wait for something more interesting to come up."  :DD
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 11, 2018, 02:05:32 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 11, 2018, 01:56:16 AM

lol. I'm glad Dowding didn't take that view.

Can you imagine him being asked what he was going to do to protect the UK from imminent and absolute invasion and him sitting back in his chair, lighting up and saying "It doesn't really interest me...all we've got are Spitfires, Hurricanes and a couple of other obsolete pieces of crap and we don't even have enough. Nah...I'm going to wait for something more interesting to come up."  :DD

"Fetch the oracle!"

;D

JudgeDredd

Seriously though, what's not interesting about the Battle of Britain? Certainly from a German perspective. You've got various targets to go for, punching holes in radar, starving the UK, protecting your bombers with huge formations of Me109s...huge bomber forces. All very interesting too.

From a UK perspective, it's kind of like the Russians in Operation Barbarossa...stifling the wave. So it's more about managing resources than going and "giving Jerry a bloody good thrashing" (said in my best possible English accent)

I should mention I'm not talking about this game...just about the BoB in general being a bit meh.
Alba gu' brath