Star Trek Beyond - Trailer

Started by OJsDad, December 15, 2015, 08:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Looks totally new and original  i.e. not a remake/rehash of previous movies/shows.

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

This will be the first movie with Star Trek in the title that I will never see.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Yeah, that trailer was complete rubbish.  Not even remotely interested. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

Doesn't look that bad. Are those Space Elves or Albino Vulcans?  :idiot2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Killing the Enterprise in the third movie, are we? Stranding the crew on a cheap looking junk heap of a planet?

YEAH, ROCK OUT Y'ALL, THIS IS SOME REAL-ASS STAR TRAK NOWWWWwwww!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I will however grant that being stranded on a cheap looking cargo cult of a planet with secret high-tech mystery-threats, is quite classic Trek.

Had they thought of something else other than killing the Enterprise to generate plot tension, and found almost anything other than grunge scatter-rock for the trailer, I might be in. As many problems as the first two movies had (and my God did they have problems), they felt properly epic (to me) and looked and sounded good with plenty of characterization touches. They were combat Star Trek instead of Star Trekking Star Trek, and I agree it's time to get past that, but this... man... this is some Trek 5 levels of dubiousness, except more trivial.  :crazy2: So much more trivial they have to amp the stakes and get rid of the home team advantage by killing off the Enterprise.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

So, opinions: Guardians of the Galaxy stab attempt? I say yes, with a wild miss.

Sir Slash

If the planet they're stranded on is full of walking trees and raccoons that build phasers, then I think you have a point.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Steelgrave

Totally unimpressed. Three movies and jumped the shark already  :-[

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 16, 2015, 07:44:55 PM
If the planet they're stranded on is full of walking trees and raccoons that build phasers, then I think you have a point.

I was thinking more about the attempt at a tone.

Martok

Quote from: Steelgrave on December 16, 2015, 07:54:41 PM
Totally unimpressed. Three movies and jumped the shark already  :-[
That already happened back in the 2009 film when Vulcan was destroyed by excessive lense flare. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

avrotim

Seems like it might be good to me.  At least one of those guys is a Cardassian which means this is a link to Star Trek Deep Space 9 series.  Most probably it has bad guys coming through that wormhole thing the DS9 space station was supposed to be close to.  Or Enterprise goes through the wormhole and runs into something it can't handle.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

Arctic Blast

Wait, so handing directorial duties off to the Fast and the Furious guy wasn't a good idea?  ::)

avrotim

Man, you guys are determined not to like this movie.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

Barthheart

Just ignore them. They bring too much baggage to each movie they see.  ;)
I think it looks interesting as well, and am looking forward to seeing it.