Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

And we have the first F-bomb in Star Trek history.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

I actually liked the episode overall, but still had a few issues. 

I was far happier than I thought I'd be with Harry Mudd.  That was actually really well done by Rainn Wilson.  He's no Roger C. Caramel but he absolutely had the Mudd feel. 

I liked them expanding on the moral quandary with the mushroom drive and coming to a very Starfleet solution in the end.  Seriously, the humans are the scariest race in Star Trek, those guys will do anything. 

More Lorca badassery.  He's surely no "heart of an explorer" Captain. 

Klingon Disruptors are sick!  DISRUPTED!

Still couldn't stand the Klingon designs, this time focused on the ships since we finally get a clear look at a few.  That Battlecruiser was NOT a D7, no matter what was said on screen.  The Klingon Raiders looked really silly and way too fragile for Klingon designs.  I know, I know "many houses" but if you're going to name drop D7, one of the most iconic designs of Star Trek, and then show something completely different from a D7, then the many houses thing starts to wear thin. 

Are we supposed to like Burnam?  Right now, every episode seems to progress thusly:  1)Burnam is right and everyone is wrong. 2) Burnam convinces some people she's right, they only see she's right through her stern, absolutely correctness that they just couldn't see earlier themselves 3) The ones that didn't think Burnam was right suffer horribly from their wrongness and then realize Burnam was right. 

If Green was playing Burnam with the least bit of sympathy or character, it'd be easier to liker her I'm sure.  However, she's got the worst plot armor I've seen in a character in a long time.

Lots of cool TOS easter eggs.  Obscure, uber-Trek Nerd Robert April name drop. 

They're not doing a very good job in keeping the secret on the new Lt. Tyler.

I had fun watching this one overall.  Enough to keep me on board another week.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

^Pretty much full agreement with all the above. I'm also bothered by the Klingon ship designs. They are simply terrible.

Liked Mudd, Burnam is a terrible protagonist (is she the protagonist?), Tyler isn't a secret at all - in fact, this is heading the way I thought.

Does Archer really belong on that list of Starfleet's greatest?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

bbmike

So they are basically cramming any and every reference to Star Trek in any way they can?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on October 16, 2017, 11:40:01 AM
So they are basically cramming any and every reference to Star Trek in any way they can?

Watch the show and decide for yourself :P

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on October 23, 2017, 09:07:46 AM
Quote from: mirth on October 23, 2017, 08:58:29 AM
Captain Lorca Alex Kurtzman is a bad, bad man.

fixed

Break out those fancy Trek glasses, pour some bourbon and watch an episode.

WallysWorld

The show has been renewed.

"Star Trek: Discovery" continues to live long and prosper. CBS All Access has given a second-season pickup to the latest series in the venerable sci-fi franchise, the streaming service announced Monday.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mirth

Quote from: WallysWorld on October 23, 2017, 09:36:54 AM
The show has been renewed.

"Star Trek: Discovery" continues to live long and prosper. CBS All Access has given a second-season pickup to the latest series in the venerable sci-fi franchise, the streaming service announced Monday.

I sense an appearance from Vomit Guy is coming

SirAndrewD

Renewal was a foregone conclusion.  Netflix picked up the tab for the entire series, so for CBS there was zero risk and potentially huge reward for Season 1.  Even if the CBS All Access numbers aren't what the network hoped for, I can't see how they'd not opt for a second season considering what they have to potentially gain. 

Not that the fan response in Season 1 isn't important.  How this season ends will be very largely informative on if people stick around for the second season. 

As for the latest episode, it was pretty good.  There is a steady increase in quality as the show goes on. 

I liked the new and improved crew way the crew is getting along.  They seem to have just been worn down by Burnham's incredible and constant rightness, so they really don't want to argue anymore. 

Enterprise name drop!

After this season I'd imagine Lorca is going to be sharing a cell next to Garth of Izar. 

Vulcan terrorists?  I mean, that's most illogical. 

The Vulcan Science Academy making concessions to appease Vulcan terrorists?  EVEN MOAR MOST ILLOGICAL.

I mean really, that plot point didn't make a lot of sense for the Vulcans.  It looks like we're going back to Enterprise era Vulcans as space-dicks.  I kind of thought Enterprise had an entire story trying to to explain their space-dickery. 

Of course Enterprise had an entire story explaining why Klingons don't have ridges, and we see how Discovery feels about that thus far. 

Thank you show for not showing the Admiral's "Cruiser" on screen.  I feared it'd be a Constitution class, and I rightfully feared how the SFX team would "reimagine" the classic design. 

Man, speaking of space-dicks, those Klingons.  I mean, they've devolved right back to their TOS levels of mustache twirling villainy.   So much for the "deeper multi faceted" Klingons promised by Kurtzman.  All these Klingons do is double down on constantly on blind backstabbing.  Truly the one dimensional bad guys that we were promised would not appear. 

But, yeah, other than that, good job.  It was a Star-Treky episode of Discovery, something that'd been lacking.  It was made better by a lack of Klingon screen time and few exterior views of ships outside of Discovery.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

I wasn't thrilled with this week's Sarek storyline and the further retconning of the Sarek family history or the retconning of the Vulcans in general. I do like the actor cast as young Sarek, but I'd rather they stop with that particular storyline (which clearly the are intending to make a major part of the show). It undermines the rest of the story, imo.

QuoteAfter this season I'd imagine Lorca is going to be sharing a cell next to Garth of Izar. 

Seriously. I'm not sure Lorca is around for season 2. Dude has issues.

QuoteMan, speaking of space-dicks, those Klingons.

Are the Klingons trying to start a war with the entire galaxy? That was a seriously dick move, totally without honor.

I'm still enjoying it overall.