Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bbmike

Quote from: OJsDad on April 27, 2017, 05:21:07 PM
Russian intelligence ship was sunk after hitting a freighter.  That'll set Putin back a few Rubles.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russian-naval-intelligence-ship-sinks-off-turkeys-black-sea-coast/ar-BBArkrR?ocid=spartanntp

Nah, that ship was bought during the Stalin era.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Atilla60

It's an effing mess.

Maybe it's time to get out of there and let the Arabs clean up their own s**t.

And if Putin wants to go deeper into this hellhole, I'll say let him.
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Gusington

Yeah I looked over that map after I posted...I notice Israel is not on there even though they have been launching air sorties in Syrian territory too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Quote from: Gusington on April 30, 2017, 06:06:06 PM
Yeah I looked over that map after I posted...I notice Israel is not on there even though they have been launching air sorties in Syrian territory too.

They've also been providing medical aide to civilians coming across into their defenses in the Golan Heights. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 13, 2017, 09:16:00 AM
US vs Turkey?
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/12/the-united-states-and-turkey-are-on-a-collision-course-in-syria-trump/

The WSJ reported this week that US special forces have been/are being embedded in the Kurdish forces in Syria.  If the Turks keep attacking/bombing the Kurds in Syria, it is only a matter of time before the Turks kill some US Special Forces.  Given the very long hatred between the Kurds and the Turks, I find it hard to see how a deal can be brokered by the US on this issue.  It is hard to see a positive outcome here unless the Turks wish to conquer a buffer zone on their Southern Border.  Then it is the Turks hornet nest.

There is a huge desire to do something in Syria because ISIS, Assad, etc.... are such slime.  But I'm not seeing how this is in the US strategic interest to intervene in a swamp that does not close major logistics routes for the rest of the world.  I always feel queasy when I cannot define "winning" when using military force.

Staggerwing

Quote from: airboy on May 13, 2017, 10:40:07 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 13, 2017, 09:16:00 AM
US vs Turkey?
https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/12/the-united-states-and-turkey-are-on-a-collision-course-in-syria-trump/

The WSJ reported this week that US special forces have been/are being embedded in the Kurdish forces in Syria. 

US forces have been operating with the YPG for a while now, even adding YPG patches to their US uniforms. Images of those patches on US soldiers caused a big shitstorm in the Turkish press last year.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^I remember that. Very, very sensitive situation.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Con

Well good thing we have such a well read and non impulsive president who has promised to clean up this mess. What could go wrong   :P

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd