So, anyone with a PS3 want to experimentally sacrifice it for a free PS4?

Started by JasonPratt, July 22, 2015, 07:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Because I recently heard that it is possible to install the PS4 operating system on a PS3 and have it run without much problem, so far, even though the PS3 hardware is naturally underpowered.

This does of course sacrifice a hard drive and everything on it, and can't be retroactively undone, but I presume it's possible to switch out hard drives and thus operating systems physically. Want to play PS3? -- drop in this hard drive. PS4? Drop in the other hd.

This procedure would not make a system backwards compatible with PS2 (aside from any of the few conversions Sony has done and sells on the PSN). I don't know if the PS4 is backwards compatible with the PS1 either -- it couldn't be impossible, because that's purely a software emulator (apparently), instead of the hardware emulation for PS2s in early PS3s. Nor will a PS4 formatted hard drive be backwards compatible with PS3 games, I suppose, despite having PS3 hardware. Although the process (if true) does seem to strongly indicate that Sony could have easily made the PS4 back-compatible to the PS3 at least (maybe thus to PS1 if not PS2).

Anyway, here's a brief video supposedly showing how to use the system upgrade information on most (any?) PS4 games to do a fresh install of the PS4 OS onto a PS3 system.

Supposedly you can do much the same trick with a 360 to an XBone or even a 360 to an PS4 (which sounds insane and frankly strains my credulity... the hardware and the related software calls to the hardware can't be that similar, can it???)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Update: never mind, it's a joke -- he does do real tech advice (on a slightly different channel), but on this channel he plays around to see how much plausible-sounding nonsense he can get away with.

The 360 to PS4 was just too far: I know that hardware is significantly different. I should have noticed the system option he insisted on using wouldn't actually do (or hurt) anything for the PS3 "upgrade" (the point being that he wanted to make sure someone didn't actually nuke their PS3 trying this out); at the time I thought it was odd he'd use that option, but I didn't think it was odd enough. The free 4K TV sounded plausible at first (cheaper to manufacture 4K screens instead of multiple screen formats, and then just hamper them by memory and software), but then it supposedly activated by plugging in a perfectly blank freshly formatted USB flash drive. That didn't make any sense at all.  ::) :P

Still, it's funny once the joke becomes obvious. Here's one on how to triple internet speed using batteries taped to an Ethernet cable. Remember to use electrical tape!  O0

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!