Total War: Warhammer

Started by Rayfer, July 17, 2015, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Awesome!  O0  Yeah, I find it's moments like that one that make the TW series particularly fun. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Are the dwarves portrayed here low, medium or high on the steampunk scale?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2017, 02:41:56 PM
Are the dwarves portrayed here low, medium or high on the steampunk scale?
Bearing in mind I'm not as familiar with steampunk as you (so take my estimation with a grain of salt), I'd probably say medium.  To me, they still feel more "medieval" than not, but they do have a decent number of "techy" units on their roster (Dwarven artillery can be great fun). 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Gusington

I am torn between playing the dwarves or Bretonnia in my first campaign. Saving the vampires and Norsca for the 2nd/3rd campaign.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2017, 08:52:31 PM
I am torn between playing the dwarves or Bretonnia in my first campaign. Saving the vampires and Norsca for the 2nd/3rd campaign.
As it happens, those are my two favorite factions thus far.  :) 

The Dwarves have slow but tough infantry, with lots of gadget-equipped missile/artillery units.  Their starting position is such that you can generally spend the early part of the campaign focusing on fighting Greenskins, Orcs, and other goblinoids, whilst simultaneously working on confederating your fellow Dwarf clans into one nation under the High King's rule. 

Bretonnia's armies have a definite emphasis on cavalry.  However, they also use "Peasants" (which is an actual gameplay mechanic for them) to help fill out the ranks of their lower-tiered infantry, which are (quite bluntly) important in battle, if only to use as meat-shields.  I haven't played these guys enough yet to figure out what their main strategic objective(s) are/should be, although uniting the three Bretonnian provinces (which are all playable) under one ruler is clearly a priority; as with the Dwarves and the Empire, confederation is an option, although I believe you need a specific technology in order to do so.  I really like their Arthurian flavor.  :smitten: 

Gusington

^Me too. I think I will play Bretonnia or another Arthurian type faction first, to get my feet wet in the game and in the Warhammer universe also.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on August 11, 2017, 08:52:31 PM

Pssh!

You'll start with the Dwarves.  Was there any question? 

Don't betray your own people simply to rub elbows with those filthy animal-riding humans.  Ornithopters and grudges for you!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I'm so thrilled that so many Grogheads are enjoying this game. 

I'm just not sure it's right for me.  I am waiting for that urge to play Total War fantasy to hit me.  I really prefer the more "real" focus...I'm not sure if I can adapt to a fantasy setting.

Maybe, by the time the Xmas sale hits and this is cheaper, I'll be ready to pull the trigger.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mikeck

Quote from: Toonces on August 12, 2017, 09:09:08 PM
I'm so thrilled that so many Grogheads are enjoying this game. 

I'm just not sure it's right for me.  I am waiting for that urge to play Total War fantasy to hit me.  I really prefer the more "real" focus...I'm not sure if I can adapt to a fantasy setting.

Maybe, by the time the Xmas sale hits and this is cheaper, I'll be ready to pull the trigger.

I felt the same way you did. I never had any interest in warhammer and only liked historical games. One time, I was in a "game of thrones" game mood and figured (since chaos is like the white walkers), maybe this might be close enough. I've been playing for months and I love it. It has such a dark fantasy feel. I don't like magic in my wargames so I simply choose not to use it. I play the Empire which is very "conventional " medieval so i avoid that high fantasy stuff. I think overall- in terms of polish, AI and design- it's the best TW ever.

So I recommend you give it a shot. Play the Empire and go for a dozen turns or so. You'll see that you actually get a kick out of watching your Empire armored swords men decapitating vampires and undead skeletons...like Jon Snow
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Toonces

^ Hmmmm....you make a compelling case, my friend.   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I was just like you too Toonces but finally have come around to it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

I genuinely think you'd enjoy it, Toonces, were you to give the game a shot.  So long as you do indeed grab Warhammer TW on sale (I seriously don't understand Games Workshop's absurd pricing policy), I strongly suspect you'll get your money's worth.  :) 

Jarhead0331

You guys are pretty quiet about Warhammer 2. Is nobody playing? RPS raved about it. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 28, 2017, 04:31:40 PM
You guys are pretty quiet about Warhammer 2. Is nobody playing? RPS raved about it.

I've barely had any free time lately.
I just started downloading it.