Hmm...

Started by BanzaiCat, May 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I went ahead and ordered the Starter Set on Amazon today. It was only $12 and I got free shipping because I screwed up and accidentally signed up for Prime a couple of weeks ago (though I saw what I did and immediately cancelled it, kind of pissed me off because one errant click signed me up for a $99/year service that I didn't want or need). But, it gave me Prime through June 10. Should be here Thursday so my daughter can check it out.

I found my old (blue cover with the fighter, mage, and dragon on it) book and old Expert rules, but saw that the official Player's Handbook for 5th ed is almost fifty bucks at my local gaming store. We'll wait to see how much she and her friends like it.

Nefaro

I first got Amazon Prime mid last year, BC.  What made me do it?  I got sick of searching local stores for items they didn't have stocked, or weren't exactly what I wanted.  After wasting time in too many fruitless searches for even menial items, I sold my soul to the Dark Amazon Queen.

After all the crap I've purchased there, however, it has already paid the initial investment off in shipping costs - and then some.  Getting the extras such as movie & album streaming is just icing. 

Regarding games.. I still buy the occasional game expansion & accessories (mostly paints, dice, etc) from the local game store, but the price difference on the games & books is obscene.  Especially with the free 2-day shipping.  Makes my game collecting addiction far too easy an indulgence.

BanzaiCat

If it were just me, I'd sign up for it in a heartbeat. My wife would have a conniption fit though if she saw a $99 charge to the card.

Dammit Carl!

Nice.  We need a trip report once you get it going.  5th ed. looks interesting, but I just cannot stomach a purchase of that level for what is effectively already on my shelves in 3 or 4 iterations in some form or another.

Used to be into RPGs a whole helluva lot more than I am today; every week was another GURPS book whether I really needed it or not, etc.

Nowadays, I limit my purchases to pdfs (less space and usually cheaper) or used (saving books from certain destruction).  Also, I stick to a limited range of stuff as I know from experience what will get the most mileage; niche games are neat, but useless unless used.

B_C, convince the Mrs. that Prime will help with the Christmas shopping, or the perks of having Prime Music &/or Prime Video.  If either one of you is a student, then I think its half price for a year's memebership.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on May 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM
Then she told me she wants to play D&D. And her friends might want to play. Keep in mind we're talking about 14-year-old girls here. I really, really do not want to be the 40-something guy DMing a game with 14-year-old girls.

so what happened?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

She's not playing. She lost interest pretty quickly once that summer ended.

Me, on the other hand...I joined a local group. I haven't played that often (work is getting in the way big time), but they recently changed nights so that might make things easier for me.