"This is the Chinese navy ... You go!"

Started by mirth, May 21, 2015, 03:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

If they really want to get their attention, Obama should threaten to go over there and dance the Tango. Don't laugh. It would work for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: jomni on March 27, 2016, 09:54:45 PM
Quote from: Boggit on March 25, 2016, 04:04:29 PM
Is there any longstanding historic justification for China claiming 80% of the South China Sea, or is it just the school bully who hasn't learnt to share?

Ancient China owned the place before any other nation existed.

Here's the serious answer:
https://www.quora.com/Whats-Chinas-basis-of-the-9-dash-line
So basically they sent some ships to explore the area, and they thought that entitled them to claim sovereignty over whatever they found? We did that with the British Empire, but found that the people we did that to didn't really like it very much, preferring to rule themselves. One big reason why the British Empire doesn't exist today. Have the Chinese not cottoned on to the fact that imperialism belongs in the past, and doesn't sit well with their earlier dogma about imperialism?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Sir Slash

It's only Imperialism if the other guy is doing it to you.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 29, 2016, 09:58:09 PM
It's only Imperialism if the other guy is doing it to you.  :coolsmiley:
Well exactly!

The Chinese seem to forget that the Malay tribes, Vietnamese (Annam, Champa etc), Cambodians, Filipino, and Borneo tribes all explored and ruled these seas from equally early times. So on the basis sovereignty = exploration, I'd say they had as much right in any sovereignty issue, as the Chinese. Of course the real issue is who can enforce their will (as opposed to any legal definition of the issue, which is clearly arguable by all parties). I suspect might is right.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Note to the Phillipines:  We HAD a base there protecting your asses until you told us to close it and go home.  Just saying.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 14, 2016, 10:04:48 AM
Note to the Phillipines:  We HAD a base there protecting your asses until you told us to close it and go home.  Just saying.

They started to rethink that decision a few years ago when the ChiComms started getting frisky. They're scrambling to create a credible deterrent. Suddenly having us around doesn't seem like such a bad thing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

OJsDad

I'd like to know how big of a hit their economy due to closing the US bases.  I knew a couple of guys when I was in the Navy that were planning on retiring there.  Got to think the may have changed their minds after the bases closed. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

OJsDad

I'd seen that the other day Mirth.  One thing I noticed, is that there has been zero reaction out of congress, whether in support or opposition to this move.  Did Obama break his normal routine and get closed door buy in from congress or was this another unilateral decision the most of congress agrees with.

If I missed something in this article or someone has found something else, let me know. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

He's being criticized by both China and Human Rights Watch, so he must be doing something right :P

Haven't heard a peep out of Congress about it one way or the other which is very odd.

mirth

Sir Slash

Damn, Obama lets them exercise? Think of all the Global Warming that causes!

mirth