The X-Files...back this summer

Started by steve58, March 24, 2015, 01:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

It's been more than 13 years since "The X-Files" aired on network TV, but on Tuesday Fox announced the spooky sci-fi series is returning for a six-episode run that will begin in the summer of 2015.

"The X-Files," which originally premiered in Sept. 1993, aired for nine seasons and earned 16 Emmy nominations during its run. The series centered on FBI agents Scully, played by Gillian Anderson, and Mulder, played by David Duchovny. Both stars will be reprising their roles for the reboot.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/03/24/x-files-officially-returning-to-fox-in-summer-2015/?intcmp=features

...only for 6 episodes  :-\, but maybe the run will be a catalyst for more  O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

OJsDad

I always liked the early X-Files when they were stand alone episodes.  When they started going down the conspiracy path and you had to watch every episode for clues is when I drifted away, mostly because life didn't allow me the time to keep up.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Tpek

1) This is great!

2) This will probably suck, and honestly both Duchovny and Anderson have grown a bit old, probably too old for this sort of silly role.

mirth

Cool. I always enjoyed X-Files. I wasn't a hard core viewer, but it seemed like a solid show.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

Scully was good, Mulder meh.

They need to make it like the Twighlight Zone. Conspiracy Central was crap.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

Honestly I could never keep up with the conspiracy stuff. CSM, black oil, oy vay!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Centurion40

Quote from: Tpek on March 24, 2015, 03:51:02 PM
1) This is great!

2) This will probably suck, and honestly both Duchovny and Anderson have grown a bit old, probably too old for this sort of silly role.

Hopefully Mulder will channel a little bit of Hank Moody!  Motherf....ah!!!!
Any time is a good time for pie.

undercovergeek

Sir Slash

I want more "Scary" and less "Conspiracy". Scully naked also wouldn't be bad.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Centurion40

I liked the whole aliens and government conspiracy plot.  That being said, I did not like all of it.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 25, 2015, 02:08:29 PM
I liked the whole aliens and government conspiracy plot.  That being said, I did not like all of it.

This. It hurt that Carter (and his main writers) were making it up as they went along, and padding it out so it wouldn't be resolved.

Maybe this will resolve it, and they can move along to doing monsters of the week plus a seasonal plot plus maybe a low-key overarching plot that reveals a little more each season. Like Doctor Who has developed since its restart.

It should probably stick to a 13 ep year, too. Even mundane crime procedurals are hard to keep fresh on 25 eps a year, and this requires a new monster every week. Though again WHY NOT HAVE MORE RETURNS LIKE IN DOCTOR WHO!? Bring back popular hits, do new things with them, save a little money on prep work to put toward increasing the overall quality.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Centurion40

mirth

JasonPratt

I was wondering last night, why have there never been Blu conversions for the series? There have been at least two full DVD releases, plus a set which focused only on the mytharc. (And left off some pieces.  :P )

And the (two full) DVD sets were crap, complete and utter crap, on the picture quality. Worse by far than the official VHS tape releases. (Both DVD sets used the same encoding transfer; not sure about the mytharc-only set. For reasons of availability I ended up mixing the two DVD sets to create a full one.) Painfully bad. My mind eventually adjusted to it but it took a while.

I wonder what Netflix looks like... should check on that out of curiosity if nothing else. But there's no guarantee they'll remain available, of course.

Anyway, my guess is that due to how the eps were routinely lit and shot, they worked okay on videotape but needed a lot of detailed fiddling to look good on DVD which just wasn't done. And would need more for Blu-Ray. Possibly computers have advanced enough now to make a new HD conversion from the masters cost-effective, but I can just imagine the nightmares involved in trying to adjust for various factors without DNRing everything to hell and making Moose & Squirrel look like supermarionettes.

See also: the Blu edition of Jurassic Park. Some parts look great, others are way worse than a VHS recorded from broadcast. Completely dependent on how the scenes were lit and shot, and also on how important the scenes are -- which tells me extra effort/money was spent on some things (like the T-rex attack in the night) and not on others (humans fumbling around inside after the power goes out).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.