What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on October 23, 2017, 08:07:03 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 23, 2017, 08:02:06 AM
Quote from: bbmike on October 23, 2017, 06:42:38 AMNote the spam card (upper left) that arrived in the box with the games.

and it worked...  here you are!

I think I was about five years ahead of that card.  :D

it's a brilliant marketing strategy.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Man - this game needs some real-estate!

Star Wars:Rebellion with the "DLC" Rise of the Empire

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

We expect the filthy rebels to be crushed mercilessly, Admiral Dredd.

(Edit:  Just pulled out my Edge of the Empire book, to brush up for a probably session later this week.)

acctingman

Why aren't those mini's painted JD?   :P

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on October 23, 2017, 04:30:09 PM
Why aren't those mini's painted JD?   :P

Oooooh!  Slackin!

Painting hordes of the same mini sucks.  But I guess you could always do the quick 2 colors + a wash thing just to give it all more color.  Would still take up precious time, though.

JudgeDredd

I have neither the patience or - more importantly - the steady hands or the eyes for painting those I'm afraid  :'(
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

What do you think of the new expansion?  My group seems to like it but I'm not too keen on it myself.  I prefer the old combat style to the new one with the set of cards and the re-rolls.  I also find that the Empire is really behind the 8-ball with the Death Star under construction instead of already built.  Because you have to build it on a remote system, you're stuck into one of the corners of the map and you have to wait until turn 4 before you can start moving.

JudgeDredd

We haven't played it yet - this will be our first time.

I didn't realise that change yet - until you mentioned it - but I barely used the Death Star for anything other than transferring units anyway.

Combat Tactic cards - I always found them a bit confusing on when/how many you could play so the new rules seemed much clearer - choose one and play at the beginning - however looking through them, they do look quite powerful and maybe drag out combat.

Love the new units and cards.

So the jury is out. I'm excited that it's going to shake up the game - maybe put my daughter on the back foot and help me win one!  :DD
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Anyone play Fighting Formations: Grossdeutchland Infantry Division by GMT?

Did a search and found a post from mirth on the game being on sale at Cool Stuff Inc and watched a video review of it, but I'd like more thoughts on it from folks here if it's something that's hit your table. Looks like an interesting system.

ComradeP

I'm supporting the P500 expansion of the game, but haven't bought the original yet. The rulebook http://www.gmtgames.com/ffgd/FF-GD_Rulebook_FINAL.pdf mentions some rules that will require some getting used to.

Aside from an impulse-driven system, something like the lack of a stacking limit aside from a limit on vehicle column movement might not appeal to you, though it's debatable as to how much that matters with a limited number of units on the map.

Having little experience with board wargaming, I read the rulebook before ordering if that's possible to get a general idea of the design philosophy behind the game and its mechanics.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

bob48

I'm currently playing the Galicia scenario from SPW's 'Der Weltkrieg' series.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: ComradeP on October 24, 2017, 07:44:57 AM
Having little experience with board wargaming, I read the rulebook before ordering if that's possible to get a general idea of the design philosophy behind the game and its mechanics.

That was going to be my next step, reading the manual, but I won't devote time to reading a manual unless my peers here have good experiences with it. I have too many reviews to do as it is. Maybe that's my answer right there, lol.

acctingman

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 24, 2017, 08:37:01 AM
Quote from: ComradeP on October 24, 2017, 07:44:57 AM

That was going to be my next step, reading the manual, but I won't devote time to reading a manual unless my peers here have good experiences with it. I have too many reviews to do as it is. Maybe that's my answer right there, lol.

this +100

I'm a total NOOB to board games (and to a lesser extent PC war gaming) and I come here for my reviews. You guys are usually spot on about PC/board games and don't sugar coat your opinions.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bob48 on October 24, 2017, 07:45:44 AM
I'm currently playing the Galicia scenario from SPW's 'Der Weltkrieg' series.

just to rub it into OJsDad?  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

^ You could have worded that better, Grammar Führer.