What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

SDR:

Black Cross/Blue Sky looks like a great game.  I might have to pick this one up. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd like to get a copy myself but it's been out of print for some time and can be hard to find.

W8taminute

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 21, 2017, 11:57:04 AM
I'd like to get a copy myself but it's been out of print for some time and can be hard to find.

Ouch.  Did not know that.  I bet if you can find a copy it will be very expensive no matter what condition the game is in.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Arctic Blast

So, my Cthulhu Wars Onslaught 2 Kickstarter stuff showed up last week...

I managed to get all 8 of the factions, the plastic gates, and everything else sorted into a duffel bag. All of the boards, rulebooks, tracks and a few extra bits are in the main box. All of the neutral unit stuff (the whole 2nd and 4th piles from the left, with the exception of one box) is still sitting on that table and I have no idea how the fuck to store it.

We did actually get it played this past weekend. Game remains great, and all 4 of the new factions are interesting.

Ubercat

Is CW the one with the Risk-like board, but with far fewer provinces to fight over? It caught my eye, but I couldn't figure out how worthwhile it would be with such a limited map.

I had the same problem with Gary Grigsby's WaW. The map made it look like Axis and Allies.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Silent Disapproval Robot

I met up with a friend to play Conflict of Heroes: Guadalcanal today.  We had a go at scenario #3 "Meat Grinder" which sees the USMC trying to stop a Japanese night assault across Alligator Creek.

It did not go well for the marines at all.  The Japanese did a good job of laying down smoke with their mortars and then pouring across the creek.  They took a fair number of casualties in the crossing but they were quickly able to penetrate the US lines and then the murder started.  They pretty much bayoneted everything in sight and then started bayoneting everything a second time just to make sure.  They'd wiped the board clear of all but 2 US squads by the time US reinforcements showed up so then they bayoneted those too.  They even started bayoneting tanks, the mad bastards.

(Man, it was a thorough trouncing.  The Japanese guy did a great job of using smoke, fire and maneuver, aggression and a little luck and I just didn't stand a chance.)

First pic is the start of the breakthrough.  Second is the mounting US casualty pile, third is the end of the slaughter.

bbmike

^Great game. And I can't wait until Heroes of the Pacific arrives.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Those are impressive components!

I never looked at Conflict of Heroes too closely...maybe I should.

Richie61

Conflict of Heroes is a great series!
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Ubercat on June 22, 2017, 08:27:21 PM
Is CW the one with the Risk-like board, but with far fewer provinces to fight over? It caught my eye, but I couldn't figure out how worthwhile it would be with such a limited map.

I had the same problem with Gary Grigsby's WaW. The map made it look like Axis and Allies.

Here's a pic I found online if what it looks like in game :

At a very base level it's Risk-like, but there is a whole Hell of a lot more going on. The strength of the game is the 100% asymmetry of it. Every single faction is 100% unique, from special ability to Great Old One (who has their own summoning requirement, special ability and combat abilities) and monster pool. You need to score Doom (primarily by controlling gates). You also need to unlock your 6 faction spellbooks (unique to each faction, as are the spellbook unlock requirements) to be eligible to win. It's less about overall map control and more about playing to your strengths and to your opponents weaknesses. So, while Cthulhu benefits from just walking up and slapping opponents in the face, Yellow Sign is off almost trying to play their own game by despoiling regions and hoping nobody comes to stop them. Crawling Chaos is about gate control and opening up spellbook abilities that make them a complete dick to come after. Black Goat is about spreading out. And so on.

Most of the non-Earth boards also include special board effects. for instance, the Yuggoth board allows the controller of the Lab region to convert Cultists into brain cylinders (Cultists and brain cylinders produce power and can control gates, so converting to cylinders lets you take cultists off the board who can now he re-summoned and give you more power. Unfortunately, brain cylinders are immobile and can be seized easily by rival factions if you don't guard them, which means less force available to do other things on the board). The controller of the Slime Sea Overlook to recruit Slime Mould monsters (plus : they're dirt cheap and effective. Minus : if anyone takes the overlook from you, they immediately take control of all of the Slime Moulds you already summoned). Those who build gates on the Green Pyramid to earn bonus power (minus : you run the risk of awakening the Pyramid Guardian, who just runs amok and Hulk smashes all of you on the board until he's put down). So you have to consider those things as well.

It has quickly become my favorite game that I own. But it's so expensive that it's very hard to recommend.

bbmike

Setting up a game of Don't Tread On Me. The game board is one I had custom made for Vassal and had Print & Play make for me (18x24 Deluxe Board). It turned out beautiful.  O0

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 23, 2017, 02:54:10 PM
Setting up a game of Don't Tread On Me. The game board is one I had custom made for Vassal and had Print & Play make for me (18x24 Deluxe Board). It turned out beautiful.  O0

Wow. That's gorgeous
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus