The problem I have with Civ games

Started by bayonetbrant, February 02, 2012, 10:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

am I the only one who gets bored when the end-game is pretty well determined and you're just playing it out to hit the victory conditions?

I've had games drag on 40-50 turns after it was pretty clear I was going to beat it, and after going through the motions 2-3x it just gets old.  I wish there was a way to just hit "fast-forward" so I can get the credit for winning the game without having to keep punching buttons just to get there.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 10:06:18 PM
am I the only one who gets bored when the end-game is pretty well determined and you're just playing it out to hit the victory conditions?

I've had games drag on 40-50 turns after it was pretty clear I was going to beat it, and after going through the motions 2-3x it just gets old.  I wish there was a way to just hit "fast-forward" so I can get the credit for winning the game without having to keep punching buttons just to get there.

All too often, I get to that point and just start another game. True, I have few Hall of Fame credits, but eh....I'd rather be entertained.

MetalDog

Bump up a level.  Or remove the victory condition that you always use to win i.e. Space Race.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jomni

Good for you.  Only managed to win one Civ game in recent history (CIV IV).

son_of_montfort

The end game can be a slog, but I also find the tech to be the most interesting. If you play a little more "crazy," as in willing to fling around nukes, bomb the crap out of everyone with bombers, and try to conquer the world, the end game gets much better!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

and I'm on my freakin' 8th damn game in a row of having the freakin' mongol horde right freakin' next door.  Ugh!

gimme some variety instead of the inevitable damn war with these idiots!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

^You sounded like MacArthur just then, Brant.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

C'mon, now, Brant.  You're a smart guy.  Use the game creation screen to put someone else on the board and change your victory conditions.  Or maybe the great Civ V doesn't have those options...

bayonetbrant

It has them. I tend not to set them. I set map size, my civ, and diff level, then hit "go".

MetalDog

What difficulty do you typically play on?  And what victory conditions do you use?  What about map size and number of civs?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on February 03, 2012, 09:12:21 PM
What difficulty do you typically play on?  And what victory conditions do you use?  What about map size and number of civs?

Typically playing on Prince.
All victory conditions available.
Usually play HUGE map, with max number of city-states and 7-9 other random civs.

The frustration lately has been that the Mongols are on top of me in *every* game.  They've been "randomly" selected whether I've played as France, Rome, Persia, or England, and they're never on the other side of the map.  While I explore a lot, b/c I tend to keep an eye on culture/happiness, I don't plant a lot of cities everywhere like my old Civ III land-grabs. 

The Mongols, though, just throw cities up wherever there's a free space, and they're on top of you before you know it.  They tend to fight like crap, and it doesn't take much to beat them with a halfway competent plan - their tech is usually far enough behind that you could almost brute-force them into submission.  But it's just damned annoying to have to raze all their cities so you can go back and plant yours in the right spaces around where theirs were.

Steelgrave

^

Ah, I see you called my Heinlein quote and raised me one......  ;)

bayonetbrant

I've had that Heinlein quote as my sig in email and online since, well since I got online in the early '90s.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 03, 2012, 10:23:34 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 03, 2012, 09:12:21 PM

Typically playing on Prince.
All victory conditions available.
Usually play HUGE map, with max number of city-states and 7-9 other random civs.

The frustration lately has been that the Mongols are on top of me in *every* game.  They've been "randomly" selected whether I've played as France, Rome, Persia, or England, and they're never on the other side of the map.  While I explore a lot, b/c I tend to keep an eye on culture/happiness, I don't plant a lot of cities everywhere like my old Civ III land-grabs. 

The Mongols, though, just throw cities up wherever there's a free space, and they're on top of you before you know it.  They tend to fight like crap, and it doesn't take much to beat them with a halfway competent plan - their tech is usually far enough behind that you could almost brute-force them into submission.  But it's just damned annoying to have to raze all their cities so you can go back and plant yours in the right spaces around where theirs were.

It's my understanding that the AI is programmed to go for a Space Race win every time.  That being the case, I usually take that out before the game starts.  I also experiment with map size.  I used to play Huge exclusively, but now I usually play Standard.  I also choose who is on the board with me and try to theme it based on era or traits.  And I play on Prince, too.  The only victory condition I have fulfilled IS Space Race.  Sucks to be me :-)  And yes, the AI is a HORRIBLE city spawner no matter what game I am playing!

BanzaiCat

LOL

And Brant posts all kinds of Civ V AARs now...guess the game grew on you, eh? ;)