American Gods. The TV show.

Started by MetalDog, July 02, 2014, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

That's right.  I said it.  Neil Gaiman's, 'American Gods,' is going to be a tv show.  That's the "YAY," part.  The, "BOO," part is that it will be on the premium channel, Starz.  So, here's to hoping it gets made, broadcast, and then streamed on Netflix so I can watch. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/starz-bryan-fuller-board-neil-716142

Oh, yeah,  And some guy by the name of Bryan Fuller is the showrunner.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Damn. It's hard to imagine how any tv show, or even a movie for that matter, can do justice to the book.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

One of my favorite books ever. First 'The Strain' gets picked up for a mini-series, and now this. I'm hopeful and cautiously optimistic.

GDS_Starfury

wazzit aboot?

nevermind, I read the wiki.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

Staggerwing

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 23, 2016, 11:57:47 AM
The first teaser trailer is here and it looks....amazing!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyoXURn9oK0

Looks good so far, though not what I've pictured in my head all these years after first reading the book. I'd always imagined Shadow as more Native American in appearance, and Wednesday as having a beard.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Nefaro

Never read the book.

I'm guessing "Wednesday" is supposed to be Wotan/Odin, judging by all the hints dropped in the preview?  Being "his day" and the tree and such..

Staggerwing

Quote from: Nefaro on July 23, 2016, 02:19:15 PM
Never read the book.

I'm guessing "Wednesday" is supposed to be Wotan/Odin, judging by all the hints dropped in the preview?  Being "his day" and the tree and such..

Sort of. It's actually (partially) about old gods (of several pantheons) trying to stay relevant in a rapidly changing world (and the modern gods it has spawned) and how it changes the old-timers. It's also about how people have changed since olden times when the old gods reigned. Furthermore there a many-decades-old human mystery as well. Read the book, you won't regret it. O0

MetalDog

I second the book recommendation.  Wish I had read it sooner.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 23, 2016, 02:41:30 PM
Never read the book.

Sort of. It's actually (partially) about old gods (of several pantheons) trying to stay relevant in a rapidly changing world (and the modern gods it has spawned) and how it changes the old-timers. It's also about how people have changed since olden times when the old gods reigned. Furthermore there a many-decades-old human mystery as well. Read the book, you won't regret it. O0

Great synopsis for a great book. I just bought the 10th anniversary edition and re-read it. I'm really looking forward to seeing it come to life.

bbmike

Does it end with Apollo going to Pollux IV all sad and alone?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Oddly enough, I don't recall the book mentioning any gods from the Greek or Roman pantheon.

(Any yes, I know it's a TOS reference. Did you know Apollo is also in an episode of Star Trek Continues? Same actor as well.)

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 23, 2016, 02:41:30 PM
Never read the book.

My reading list is a psychotic Frankenstein monster right now.  Filled with umpteen tabletop game & RPG rulebooks, along with a recurring urge to continue purchasing and reading further WH40K Abnett inquisitorial novels, and weird supernat/sci-fi dark comedies by David Wong & ilk. 

Unfortunately my Buy List grows faster than I can keep up.  This will be yet another added to it.  Although I do recall enjoying one of Gaiman's earliest stories long ago, so I'm not surprised it's interesting.

mirth

This looks like weird, wacky fun  :bd:

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Except, Dane Cook is in it.  And that will kill all the fun in the world :(