Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

The lawyer that co-founded CIG\RSI with Chris Roberts worked for cryteck making contracts the opposite way before I assume working that inside knoweldge to his advantage when negotiating the CIG use of crytek. Crytek are crying foul about that as well.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/12/14/16776300/crytek-star-citizen-lawsuit-cig-rsi
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Enjoyed this video about it:

Destraex

A squadron42 trailer with mark hamil. I think it looks pretty good.

Pete Dero

Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz
    RAM: 16 GB System Memory
    GPU RAM: 2GB Video Memory (4GB RAM strongly recommended)
    GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti or Radeon R7 360X
    HDD: TBA (SSD strongly recommended)
    API: DirectX 11

http://www.game-debate.com/news/24265/minimum-system-requirements-for-single-player-star-citizen-squadron-42-revealed

Jarhead0331

SQ42 pre-alpha footage

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Man, why can't we have a star wars game like this ?  Is it the Disney commercialization ?

Destraex

Yeah loved that mission footage. There is still a danger that sq42 will go all PC on us though.
But this looks pretty classic like the original wing commanders but more advanced which is what I want.

You guys know 3.0 is now available live right?

Pete Dero

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/Schedule-report-05012018

Our first release will pull together all the great work that was completed last year with a focus on optimizing the server and client. We also intend to include one or two new features which will enhance gameplay around Crusader.

3.1 is about enhancing performance and polishing the gameplay systems and UI, including ships, system traversal, a large balance pass of our economy, and improving AI for spaceflight and combat. All the great data and feedback from the community over the holiday period is really going to help us with these tasks.

Although 3.1 is our focus for late March, several teams will also be working on our long-term goals for this year, in which we plan to deliver the vast majority of systems and mechanics so players have a variety of options to lose themselves in the 'Verse.

For our end-of-June release, we plan to implement the initial tier 0 versions of mining, salvaging, mobile refueling, and repair into the game, as well as give the player the ability to create their own missions like hiring mercs, transport, or refueling missions. On the AI side, we plan to improve both ship and FPS AI for both missions as well as general activity on space and planetary bases.

Our next delivery in late September will introduce another major long-term tech goal: Object Container Streaming. This technology will allow us to start expanding the Stanton system with additional destinations, while managing our memory usage much better. In this delivery, we would also like to start introducing the mechanics of how you stake and file land claims and the gameplay that comes with this feature. This release will also continue to consolidate and polish all the new features in the past milestone.

That will leave our final build of the year in late December. Now that our streaming tech has been tested and can support the huge amount of new data content introduced, we will continue to expand the Stanton System, allowing players to explore, fulfill their career choices, and do many different types of missions, either with friends or on their own.

So another year it won't be finished ...

Jarhead0331

Why would you expect it to be finished this Year? It's still in early alpha, and CIG never claimed it would be complete in 2018. Have you even played v3.0ar?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Aren't you getting a little worried that the focus has shifted from a big galaxy of things to do to a system which they model in ever higher detail with lots of stuff to do?
Ever since 3.0 I find that my impression is that they will show off lots of cool stuff, but the world size they focus on doesnt get talked about anymore.
With this roadmap it looks like they are aiming to give people a game to play during the course of the year with lots of neat features, but in a much smaller territory.
I am no programmer, but I have a hard time placing the big galaxy view anywhere in place considering the immense detail they want in one system already combined with the slow pacing of development.
Even if it would be possible technically, don't you think time wise it just won't be feasible?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

I am fine with them giving us a game to play in a smaller universe. They will eventually get to large universe stuff. I would assume it will be the last step though and always have.
I was hoping for squadron42 this year though I must admit. I am getting older and by the time this released I may have to trade my fighters for larger trade or combat vessels that do not require dogfighting skills.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Destraex on January 07, 2018, 07:32:51 AM
I am fine with them giving us a game to play in a smaller universe. They will eventually get to large universe stuff.

Well, this is the point I was making above; do you still think they will actually get to the large universe stuff at all?
So many details are put in for this one system and it takes so much time. I do understand that laying the foundation is probably taking most of the time and they would be able to speed up development later (I am no programmer)?

I am sure if they put out a playable game with one highly detailed system its going to be an awesome experience. But it will probably be Squadron 43 deluxe in that case and a far cry from their original vision.

Aren't you guys afraid the big vision might just not be attainable in reasonable time, because yet another year will pass without any 'big vision stuff' (arguably, of course because one can debate everything they need to put in place is big vision stuff, but you get my point hopefully).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Yskonyn. The foundations they have laid will indeed allow them to expand amazingly quickly once they are finished laying the foundations. It may not however be as fast as generating systems in an RTS game. But I think they will open up at a pace of say one a month when the game is mature... I am guessing of course.
I am counting on the production speed increasing exponentially as development moves forwards. If it does not then yes, we are kinda in for a "retirement" job.

A good explanation of how things are going.

Destraex

Star Citizen responds and applies to have the case against the CIG dismissed.

JudgeDredd

Has anyone fired this up recently? I can't seem to get into my Aurora.

I haven't been in it in a while, but I remember just going to the side of the ship and interacting with the airlock - but there's no option to do so now  :(
Alba gu' brath