Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 14, 2017, 07:51:42 AM
Why would your dreams be crushed? It's just another lawsuit. While I haven't reviewed the pleadings or the potential merit, I highly doubt it will impact the future of star citizen.

Unless crytek say you can't use our engine anymore or you can be want loads more money and that will be KS money?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 14, 2017, 07:57:49 AM
Why would your dreams be crushed? It's just another lawsuit. While I haven't reviewed the pleadings or the potential merit, I highly doubt it will impact the future of star citizen.

Unless crytek say you can't use our engine anymore or you can be want loads more money and that will be KS money?

They are not using their engine anymore. They switched to Lumberyard.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

That is somewhat comforting. Considering your previous (or current?) vocation.
Let's hope they don't win much of our development money!
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on December 14, 2017, 08:17:28 AM

That is somewhat comforting. Considering your previous (or current?) vocation.
Let's hope they don't win much of our development money!

Well, that is a separate issue. I haven't read the license agreement that Crytek is alleging has been breached by CIG. There could very well be a monetary component to the claim, I just don't see a court issuing a permanent injunction that would shut down development. Its hard to say at this point, but this is the kind of lawsuit that gets settled. As of right now, I don't see there being any immediate impact upon development. I'll try to follow this one...thanks for posting about it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 14, 2017, 08:15:18 AM

Not an expert on the matter but I understood lumberyard to be cryengine in all but name

Also crytek say they have seen lines of code that are specifically cryengine

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 14, 2017, 08:29:44 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 14, 2017, 08:15:18 AM

Not an expert on the matter but I understood lumberyard to be cryengine in all but name

Also crytek say they have seen lines of code that are specifically cryengine

That is possible. I'm hardly an expert either. I just remember CIG making a pretty noticeably issue about an engine switch from Crytek to Lumberyard. Not sure how that could potentially impact the claim.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I was more referring to any damages awarded crippling development.

Jarhead0331

This video contains CIG's initial public response to the complaint.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Rayfer

Jarhead0331

For the curious, $75,000 is mentioned as the minimum amount of damages sustained by Crytek because that is the jurisdictional threshold to bring the claim in Federal court.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Well I hope they deal with it quickly. Because otherwise it's going to put a real spectre hanging over the game.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Destraex on December 16, 2017, 05:21:01 AM
Well I hope they deal with it quickly. Because otherwise it's going to put a real spectre hanging over the game.

I think the game already has a spectre over it. That is, if I know what spectre means. 😜
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

What does spectre mean?

Staggerwing

Quote from: Destraex on December 16, 2017, 07:07:31 AM
What does spectre mean?

SPecial Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion. Real baddies, them.  :knuppel2:

Oh, and it also means 'ghost' or 'apparition'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Destraex

It's funny. Amazon seems to have purchased the cryteck engine in 2015 outright. Lumberyard which star citizen is now using seems to be a crytek based engine.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/02/09/amazon-lumberyard-cryengine-twitch/