Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
My working theory is that actually playing the turns takes first priority, working on AARs second.

That's the dumbest theory I've ever heard. Now get to it  :D
I noticed it was still working for a few, toward the end, tho. Wonder what the difference was/is?

Cheers, I learned to attach the pictures into these posts, instead of linking to my Public folder. Maybe that's what I need to do for the whole DAR too. Took a year to play the scenario with Real Life often entering into the fray, so why not. Little by little.
I noticed it was still working for a few, toward the end, tho. Wonder what the difference was/is?
DropBox in their finite wisdom decided that the content of my Public folder should no longer be, err, public. I am supposedly supposed to share a link to each and all files instead, but haven't figured out how to have them visible inside image brackets.

So unless there's a generic fix for this, I am afraid those links I put for instance in this DAR are gone  :(
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: NOW I'M OUT TO GET HIM! -- DC1:Blitz JRP vs Barthheart
« Last post by JasonPratt on March 24, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »
Let me add that if Barth gets his AARs up first, that's fine, don't worry. :) My working theory is that actually playing the turns takes first priority, working on AARs second. So there's bound to be some lag, expanded by the complexity of the AARs.

Until then, for a bit of a teaser on Turn One, let me report my turn-end message to Vance: "Recon by HQ is the VERY ESSENCE of Blitzkrieg! :D "

Also, things should end a bit more quickly in any case, since at most there can only be 13-1/2 turns in the Polish scenario (and that's assuming I spend half my political points up front, otherwise there can only be 11-1/2 turns. The "half-turn" represents Germany's final push for victory at the end if the game runs that long, against which Poland does not get a reply: I get one more turn than Barth does.)
Digital Gaming AARs / Re: NOW I'M OUT TO GET HIM! -- DC1:Blitz JRP vs Barthheart
« Last post by JasonPratt on March 24, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »
Incidentally, I have recreated my first turn (with minor differences based on different dice rolls and some misclicks  :pullhair:), sent to Barth, and he has played his first turn and sent back now. Will be playing Turn 2 tonight. AAR production is proceeding, but I'm not ready to post yet.
Tabletop AARs / Re: Labyrinth: War on Terror - 2001, an SDR and Barth experience
« Last post by JasonPratt on March 22, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
SDR, ADPlain somewhat reduces the chaos of four factions competing against each other (while two sets cooperate with each other, which I found nicely evocative in FITL assuming you accept the theory that the NVA didn't want a powerful VC cadre in South Nam after winning), by requiring the teams to help each other more for the individual win. The Coalition and the AfGov can't both win but both have to be 'winning' for one of them to win, for example. The Coalition can't simply screw over the AfGov to keep them down like the other two players for the win.

Barth, there's a VASSAL module; and I'm entirely certain there's a TTS module -- since there are no secret cards or things like that in this game system, I could gamemaster it on TTS showing positions and options for each player, like I did with AzTank.

While the implementation of the rules is of course somewhat different, if you read my AAR vs AzTank you can see how the system is generally played.
I've only played two COIN games, Fire in the Lake and  Andean Abyss.  I found it somewhat frustrating because I really wanted to like the games but I found that the 4 player experience was lacking in flow and theme.  The game play  just didn't gel together and everyone's actions came across as very gamey and disassociated from everyone else's.  The theme of the games just didn't come through at all which was a disappointment.  At no time did I feel like I was playing a game about the Vietnam War.  Instead it seemed like everyone knew what their victory conditions were and just went for it. 

The consensus from our group is that the games play much better with two players than with four, especially for Fire in the Lake.  The Cards are used for events more than ops and the experience is more thematic (which is the main reason I play historical games).  I'd like to give the 2-player experience a whirl.
Tabletop AARs / Re: Labyrinth: War on Terror - 2001, an SDR and Barth experience
« Last post by Barthheart on March 22, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »
Don't own Distant Plain... have no idea how to play it...
« Last post by JasonPratt on March 22, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
If only there was a game where four players could team up to oppose everyone else in fighting the War on Terror, so that card draws though random would be more balanced in their effects.....

....  :-"

... and if we could get four players together for that game, no matter how distant from each other...

....where could four players for such a game be found....!? If it plainly existed. Hm....  :coolsmiley:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10