Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Religion, Politics, and Flame Wars / Re: Trump Said What? Thread
« Last post by Pete Dero on Today at 02:43:24 AM »

Gen Kelly came out today and talked about this and addressed this head on. 

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/10/19/john-kelly-white-house-briefing-full-sot.cnn

I guess that when Gen. Kelly was the one making the phone call there wouldn't have been an issue.

It seems Gen. Kelly advised Trump to not make that call but after bragging how he was the better president (most other presidents don't call ..) he had to do it and he used the words Kelly gave him.
He might have tried to do the correct thing but the fact is the widow was heartbroken after the call.

And then he did a Trump thing and started lying about it : 'I didn't say what that congress woman said, didn't say it at all' while Gen. Kelly states he told Trump to use those words (around 6.20 in the video).

Religion, Politics, and Flame Wars / Re: Kneeling in the NFL
« Last post by MikeGER on Today at 01:49:31 AM »

:o That's the equivalency you're giving to guys taking a knee?

no not equivalency.
its just an exaggerated example, that there is a breaking point where people are more upset about the method of protest then possible won over for the transported meaning of the protest. the public discussion shift over from the protested topic to the way of protest itself.

here is a real world example from marketing (ab)using schock-pictures to transport a good message
Benetton design clothes brand once run 1994 a campaign showing real-life "schock-pictures" as a method (of protest) to show how much they are an sensitive responsible company, who cares about the world topics that actually sorrows their young customer crowd in the heart, like the ongoing war in former Yugoslavia then.

the authentic bloody ragtag uniform of the fallen Croatian soldier Marinko Grago including the deadly bullet holes was donated to Benetton by his father.

Instead of the intended "War is hell - We all have to struggle to find a way to get peace over there NOW!"-message
public outrage and discussion shifted to the chosen form of anti war protest and that schock pictures when placarded by a fashion brand, who wants to air: we have understood! look we make a anti-war campaign with our big advertising money (now buy our clothes, snowflake) is just wrong.

well, concerning knee taking: that was the situation in the time period before Trump jumped in.
since then the situation has moved over to: knee-taking at whatever silly opening ceremony, anthems or not, a club-hymn will do (see Berlin, a generic first division soccer match) is a new entry to the global contemporary pop-culture. a symbol, a new ritual, to show: "I stand against Trump, his followers, and the right-wing minded politics he became a global symbol for in general"

Music, TV, Movies / Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Last post by Crossroads on Today at 01:19:38 AM »
So yeah. Guys: this is premium theatre stuff. Don't wait out.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Last post by Crossroads on Today at 12:53:45 AM »
I had stayed out of this thread until a chance to see the flick, and finally did. At a premium theatre too, with Laser projector and top notch audio, 60 speakers around the room or something like that.

Before, I also watched the Final Cut with the kids. They approved, and went to see 2049 at the opening night. The older one went to see it the second time. A most gorgeous film, was all they said, as I had warned them that if they give out any spoilers I will cut them off from any and all inheritance. Not that they would want my stock of board games anyhow, but they obliged, the good kids that they are.

So, yesterday I finally went and watched it. Kids were worried before: "you can't watch this at home, this is premium theather stuff dad".

And so it was. Wow. Simply. Stunning.  :o

And there was a line in Finnish as well, to top it off. Tää jätkä on Blade Runner. Se on vitun vaarallinen. Annetaan sen olla.   O:-)
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: More Pix For A Laugh
« Last post by Nefaro on Yesterday at 10:02:58 PM »
Music, TV, Movies / Re: New Punisher Series
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Yesterday at 09:16:05 PM »
Meh, we'll see where it goes but this doesn't do it for me. 

The Punisher isn't someone that has any kind of resolution or tangible target that can ever give him closure.  Part of the point of his character was that his loss was random and not targeted.  He could never get fulfilled vengeance for what happened to him, so he became an open ended "punisher" of what he considered evil. 

The previews don't really fit much with what the Punisher is.  It seems an attempt to give him more of a heroic status and put him against deep evil conspiracies that directly were the cause of his loss.  It takes away some of the moral ambiguity, and it really seems to misunderstand the character of Frank the way the 2nd Season of Daredevil didn't. 

If Frank ever felt like he'd gotten revenge for his family's murder, he'd eat a bullet.  He's not in it for redemption. 

Again, we'll see, but this series doesn't seem to have its finger on the nihilistic pulse that is what I like about the Punisher.
Music, TV, Movies / Re: Game of Thrones
« Last post by Nefaro on Yesterday at 09:11:51 PM »
Not sure how you avoided learning anything about this series.  You are in for a treat   :bd:

x2

<:-)
Religion, Politics, and Flame Wars / Re: Kneeling in the NFL
« Last post by Arctic Blast on Yesterday at 08:28:08 PM »

example: let's say a dedicated eco-activist would blow up a school bus of children at the zoo to get maximum attention for the ongoing extinction of polar bears. yeah, he get all the attention for sure, but the people will discuss the terrible method instead and some will even start to hate polar bears. ...some will even call for wipe out of all polar bears now, so that this shit will never happen again. well, its stupid but that's exactly how the mass of Average Joes roll.
and especially sport arenas are full of Average Joes     

:o That's the equivalency you're giving to guys taking a knee?
Music, TV, Movies / Decades Feeder Bracket - 1996 Final 4
« Last post by MetalDog on Yesterday at 08:05:49 PM »
Lower seeds advancing has become a bit of a 'thing' in these Brackets.  I've made my peace with that.  I am actually more embarrassed than surprised that Collective Soul is still hanging around.  I love that song.  Apparently, you guys do, too.  And I am ok with that.  Vote'm up.  I purposely put Natalie Merchant in because I know some of you have a 'thing' for her.  You're welcome.  Both should beware, though.  They are up against two huge songs.  Eager to see which way this goes.  Have at!

The 5/16

The 2/6

Music, TV, Movies / Re: Game of Thrones
« Last post by MetalDog on Yesterday at 07:49:41 PM »
Not sure how you avoided learning anything about this series.  You are in for a treat   :bd:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10