Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Age of Rivals
« Last post by DennisS on Today at 08:25:06 AM »
OK...I don't often come to the board and shill for a game, but here, I'm going to make an exception.

Age of Rivals, collectible card game on Steam, for $9.99.

No more purchases after the initial one, you get the complete game.

Initially, about 100 cards are unlocked, and as you play, you will unlock about 200 more.

Strategy game, with a strong military theme. The synergies and interactions between the cards are just ... brilliant. There are very real choices to be made, on each turn.

Your deck has 16 cards, and only 8 can be used in each of the four turns.

I have a ton of excellent games to play, including Cities Skylines, Automation, and Ultimate General: Civil War...but I keep going back to this one.

You can play the AI, normal and hard, or online. You gain points per win, or doing achievements, enough points will get you a new deck of three cards to flip over.

Great game, great mechanics, and I just cannot recommend this highly enough. 93% positive rating on Steam.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe
« Last post by Ubercat on Today at 08:11:14 AM »
I coveted the hard back manual - so I just bought it on Amazon.

I got a review copy.  But because I did not get the review done I felt guilty and bought it.  Christian guilt strikes again!

Does the physical copy include a Steam key?
Computer Wargaming / Re: Programmers at BFC
« Last post by RyanE on Today at 07:56:58 AM »
BFC always responds with activations, but just got tired of doing the dance with the helpdesk.  The DRM finally wore me down.  Did the same thing with the CMFI 3.0 update. 

I really wished BFC would have stuck with the promise to add an activation every year of ownership.  Would have me and BFC some headache.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands
« Last post by Grim.Reaper on Today at 05:58:42 AM »
I'll pick it up eventually, even though I put quite a bit of time in the open beta.  Largely agree with a lot of your comments and for my playing style rather wait until a lot cheaper.  Towards the end of the beta, started to get a little repetitive for me and burned me out....I am sure by the holidays I will be ready to go:)
Computer Wargaming / Re: Everybody's gone to war, it must be FRIDAY
« Last post by Grim.Reaper on Today at 05:56:10 AM »
I replayed the Coral Sea battle and managed to win.  One (of three) Yorktown class carriers were sunk.  My other two fleet carriers were lightly damaged by subs.  But I managed to sink the Port Morsby invasion fleet this time, sank the Jap baby flattop and also managed to sink both Jap Fleet Carriers!

I sank the second Fleet carrier on the next to last turn of the scenario.  I managed to sneak in a sub past the screen, and torpedo the carrier for some damage.  Then my SBDs finished it off.  I did not find the carrier until 5 turns were left in the scenario although I had suspicions where it was based on where the Jap planes were coming from.

I lost a couple of destroyers.  More destroyers were damaged.  One Heavy Cruiser just avoided being sunk.  I did not lose any air squadrons, but almost all of them got shot up badly (especially the F4Fs).

From an early post assuming Order of Battle WW2 - The US Campaign in the Pacific.

Just curious...what game were you playing?
« Last post by Rayfer on Today at 05:41:38 AM »
I replayed the Coral Sea battle and managed to win.  One (of three) Yorktown class carriers were sunk.  My other two fleet carriers were lightly damaged by subs.  But I managed to sink the Port Morsby invasion fleet this time, sank the Jap baby flattop and also managed to sink both Jap Fleet Carriers!

I sank the second Fleet carrier on the next to last turn of the scenario.  I managed to sneak in a sub past the screen, and torpedo the carrier for some damage.  Then my SBDs finished it off.  I did not find the carrier until 5 turns were left in the scenario although I had suspicions where it was based on where the Jap planes were coming from.

I lost a couple of destroyers.  More destroyers were damaged.  One Heavy Cruiser just avoided being sunk.  I did not lose any air squadrons, but almost all of them got shot up badly (especially the F4Fs).

Just curious...what game were you playing?
Computer Wargaming / Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Today at 03:09:48 AM »
wow...rescued from page 3? Not many playing?

Anyway I agree with the above. I'd like to add there are some issues - most notably for me
  • AI squad mates - pretty poor overall. The Sync shot is useful, though sometimes you wonder how they managed to get to the shot...they're literally almost right next to me and I have no shot!
  • AI enemy to your squad mates - ludicrous. I've had mil vehicles passing by my squad mates wandering on the road, rifles out...the enemy AI just don't seem to react to your AI squad mates. You can literally tell your squad to go into the enemy compound in full view of the enemy AI and they will...without being detected
  • Where are they - you can get in a vehicle/helicopter and drive off and miraculously they appear in the back as you're moving
  • Disappearing bodies - enemy AI, once shot, will remove from the map - making it easy to systematically wipe out an outpost from distance - no need to be careful really about who is being taken out from a distance[/b]
  • Planes are a nightmare to fly and land making it almost entirely impossible to do those missions. That might be me and practice will probably help - but the first two I've came across I could not land where required (very small landing strip) and for one of them I actually landed it on a big field and taxi'd to the finish area - I couldn't do that for the second one because it was atop a mountain. I think it's just controls. Like I said, with practice it might come
  • Samey - the mission, from area to area, are the same - limited change - mostly (from what I've noticed at the moment) just numbers and location
  • Clearing locations actually does nothing - you get in and you get the goods or complete the mission - but as soon as you've done the job, the AI, at some point, move back in. I'd rather the terrain was gained and perhaps even contested again

That's the bad stuff - now the good stuff...
  • Being samey is not a problem (at the minute) - I'm still hooked and I've cleared my second region with 40 hours in game. I imagine I may tire but currently, I look forward to firing it up
  • Graphics are fantastic. I don't have a super system - probably a mediocre system and yet with a few tweaks, it looks great and runs great
  • I've not seen a single bug (I'm counting the squad AI things as design issues) and no CTDs at all
  • Weapons, rewards, skills system are well done I think and all very useful
  • Sounds of weapons are very good
  • Maps are fantastically massive and helicopter rides around are great
  • You can adjust the difficulty whenever you like - I like that. Means you don't have to restart the campaign

I agree with Yskonyn about the level. I initially turned it down but I will be putting it back up because it's a bit of a walkthrough on an easier level

Overall I'm thoroughly enjoying this one and look forward to playing it daily (at the minute with 40 hours in game). I was dubious about the cost - but I've had every penny back in enjoyment so far and everything else is gravy - that can't be bad.

40 hours was pretty much all the spare time I had between my kitchen and RL stuff - and it's been spent almost exclusively on this game.

I've heard/read that this game is a cross between Far Cry3/4 and MGS - and I would concur with that assessment. There are some difference obviously, but mechanics-wise it's extremely similar to Far Cry 3/4
« Last post by Kushan on Today at 01:18:44 AM »
Spent most of my day working on a new CMANO scenario. Also put some time into Afghanistan '11 and The Division which I picked up on sale. I want to like Afghan '11, and there are parts of it I do, but overall I think its the first Matrix game I feel I wasted my money on. Not to far into The Division. Picked it up mainly for the change of scenery from World of Warcraft. Tomorrow I'll probably split my time between more CMANO, The Division and Ghost Recon.
« Last post by Boggit on Yesterday at 10:05:55 PM »
Funny but I just re-bought CMSF.  I got it on release and played the hell out of it.  Lost my activations on my last laptop buy and was tired of asking for activations.  If BFC does anything that makes me happy it would be updating CMSF.
I love CMSF too, and am happy it's being updated.

BTW, you should speak to Elvis about activations, he rarely ever keeps me waiting long if I have any issues.
« Last post by Boggit on Yesterday at 10:04:08 PM »
To clarify the situation regarding Phil and his departure from BFC, Steve told me...

“Phil was with us for 5 years and did more than a little bit of kick arse work.  Sadly for us he landed a total dream job doing major geeky AI stuff for big wigs in the field.  Since AI design and programming is his passion and programming background, he’d have been a total idiot not to take the offer.  Phil’s no idiot, so after a 6 month transitional period he moved on.  Fortunately for us, he helped put us in a really good place code wise and therefore we decided for the time being a second programmer wasn’t the best use of our resources.

Oh, and Phil’s posts are all still on our Forum, though his account was accidentally deleted by me when we moved over to a hosted solution vs. our self served one.  I was getting familiar with the new UI for admin responsibilities and I thought I was deleting a Forum “role" when in fact I deleted his account.  Doh!  The posts have ever since then been under some generic non-editable name like “Forum User” or something because there is no way to undo it.  Not one of my better moments as Forum Admin, to say the least.”

I hope that explains some previously unanswered concerns.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10