Main Menu

Phantom Doctrine

Started by Nefaro, February 08, 2018, 10:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Looks like an X-Com style strategy/tactical game with a Cold War espionage theme.   :coolsmiley:

Coming sometime this year.   ???

http://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/

https://www.gog.com/game/phantom_doctrine

Jarhead0331

Had my eye on the progress of this. Definitely looks like it could be interesting.

Same developer that did Hard West.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 08, 2018, 11:00:05 AM
Had my eye on the progress of this. Definitely looks like it could be interesting.

Interview!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 08, 2018, 11:10:29 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 08, 2018, 11:00:05 AM

Interview!

Me and my big mouth... :-X
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Picked this up on the Halloween sale, as it's been near the top of my wishlist.

Been fun so far.  Had to make myself stop the "just one more mission" urges last night.  :bd:

W8taminute

Quote from: Nefaro on October 30, 2018, 09:05:47 AM

Been fun so far.  Had to make myself stop the "just one more mission" urges last night.  :bd:

Phantom Doctrine definitely has that 'just one more mission' feel to it.  Once you start playing it you can't stop.  Great game!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

I forced myself to finish it a few weeks ago.  Some good ideas in there but they were poorly executed.   

W8taminute

What game play elements did you not like SDR?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Silent Disapproval Robot

I found the combat system to be rather poor.  Line of sight was a mess.  Enemy AI reacted in a bizarre manner (never bothered by people jumping through windows right next to them).  The cover/awareness mechanic just felt wrong.  Stealth was problematic as silent weapons don't become available until later in the game.  It got very repetitive and tedious due to the lack of variety between maps and enemy types. 

Character development wasn't well fleshed out.  The skill trees didn't really offer much in the way of variety and high hit points and movement seemed to trump all other abilities as you need higher HP than your target for knockout attacks.

W8taminute

I agree with you on the repetitive and tedious nature of the map battles as time goes by.  I guess all of these kind of games have this issue.  I'm willing to live with that issue as long as there is some other 'hook' that keeps the players interest.

In a way I always find it hilarious that one of my agents will bust through a window and turn off the security camera that is right next to an enemy.  It's like an ostrich putting his head in the sand and believing no one can see him because there was no eye contact!  That I can overlook as well.

Character development on the other hand does need some work.  I find myself turning down many perks and body altering treatments because they don't really bring much to the table.  Yeah there are some issues here.

At the end of the day though I really appreciate this game because unlike the XCOM series there is no random chance heavily stacked in your disfavor that one of your most skilled marksmen is going to miss every shot he takes in a mission. 

MengJiao

Me too.  I joined the CIA:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 02, 2018, 12:29:44 PM

Me too.  I joined the CIA:

Yeah...we got the bomb back to Beruit without killing anyone:

MengJiao

Oddball (in orangey stuff on the left) won this one...not so much by being less reflective, but by putting away the pistol and pulling out an M14:

W8taminute

Those are some great shots MengJiao.  I really love this game despite it's flaws.  Wait until you get access to the better guns and gear. 

MengJiao

Quote from: W8taminute on November 05, 2018, 10:11:43 AM
Those are some great shots MengJiao.  I really love this game despite it's flaws.  Wait until you get access to the better guns and gear.

Thanks!  I think what people (such as the reviewer in Rock-paper-shotgun) don't quite get about this game is that it is Black Comedy at its best: a fairly grim set of grim situations (really well presented, I think -- Deadpan indeed!) with endless odd twists.  I also think the combat (for all its flaws) is more engaging and entertaining than similar things in Invisible and Xcom or even Hard West.