Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

drep

Before the Army graves unit requests more lime, the attacker is using the 4 to 7.5 column with a +5 modifier and the defender is referencing the 1 to 3.5 column? Or is there enough arty to put the defender look-up to the 4 to 7.5?

rstites25

Attacker is 3 combat strength for the 1/173, +5 artillery for the HQ (0 combat strength), and +4 (now) for the air. The artillery/air are halved b/c no free fire. so an attacking strength of 7.  Defender is just a 1 strength unit with no artillery.  7:1 ratio is +5 DRM and -1 for attacking in the town hex.

Losses are on the 4-7.5 column for the defender (1 combat strength + 4 for my art./air) and on the 1 to 3.5 column for the attacker.

A range of modified 5 to modified 10 is possible. A roll of 6 would inflict 1 loss on me, all others are 0. Rolls of 1,3, and 5 inflict 1 loss on you. Rolls of 2 and 6 inflict 2 losses on you. A roll of 4 inflicts no loss. I lose an air point on a roll of 4.

drep

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I understood the combat correctly.

Probably foolish, but I'll keep burning RPs until the unit is destroyed.

rstites25

It was eliminated on the next roll (no loss for the US.) The stack continued it's movement. It's now used 2 MPs.

drep

That's a 1 1 7 VC Battalion.

rstites25

Better odds for you this time. +3 DRM (no terrain modifier). Both of us are on the 4 to 7.5 column.

First roll was 1 loss apiece. You have the option to retreat before I have to decide whether to withdraw unit(s).

drep

I'll burn a RP and stick around for another round

rstites25

I didn't.  :)  I went back to the hex I entered from.

New security op. 2 SVN 4-2-6 units with 16 air. No Free Fire. (Units came down from Da Nang)

The VC unit is holding, so it's values will be doubled for combat.

drep

That's a 0 0 6 political section so it's destroyed automatically.

rstites25

The stack continued on and attacked the 1-1-7 that the previous units had attacked. Both sides were on the 8-13.5 column, with a +5 DRM. The result was 1 attacker loss (SVN replacement point) and 2 defender losses, so the VC unit was eliminated.

I continued on with stack and circled around to Doc Pho. (3 MPs used so far, including the MP to enter  this hex)

drep

That's another political section that gets destroyed.

rstites25

I circled back around to the west to hit the unit just to the south of where I was (the patrol zone of the other unit was too much of an MP cost to make it that way). This exhausts this unit's MA.

drep

That's a 1 0 6 VC Battalion

rstites25

1 Attacker loss and 2 defender loss (unit eliminated).

I decided to stop strat move/security ops.

For convenience, I have the following VC units as eliminated:

4024 (0-0-0 political unit)
5232 (1-1-7)
5323 (0-0-0 political unit)
5428 (1-0-6)
5637 (1-0-6)

Now I think you're up to decide who takes an op. (Even if you decline the op, this would probably be a good time to clear the board of eliminated units).