Running thread: Quality Long-form Journalism

Started by bayonetbrant, October 19, 2015, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Kid rolls over on MS13 members.
So we arrest him, and threaten to deport him back to where he's marked for death for rolling on them, b/c he's here illegally

https://features.propublica.org/ms-13/a-betrayal-ms13-gang-police-fbi-ice-deportation/

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

the author of this one passed away last week

I remember reading it in the magazine when it came out and loved it

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/09/04/name-wall-si-60-william-nack-bob-kalsu

bayonetbrant

but gawd help you if you ask those $50k/month pensions to give something back...  "but I earned it!" is the inevitable scream, and the selfishness that prevents anyone from a follow-on generation of having a chance at earning anything themselves, either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/business/pension-finance-oregon.html

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

very probably, the most words ever written in a single article about Sandler's movie career.  The article is also probably better than the career (especially if you leave out Spanglish)

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/4/21/17264174/adam-sandler-the-week-of-netflix-chris-rock

mirth

Hard to imagine Billy Madison was 23 years ago.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

bayonetbrant

3 Sandler flicks I enjoy: Spanglish, Wedding Singer, and Punch Drunk Love.  That's pretty much it.  I enjoyed Billy Madison when it first came out, but then when I saw it again I realized how bad it was.

mirth

I did like Punch Drunk Love and 50 First Dates was okay.