Trireme Commander (simulator of Salamis in first person) is out on steam $12

Started by Destraex, October 11, 2018, 07:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I own this game outside of steam and will purchase it again within steam when a sale comes along as I like steam for better functionality and updates etc. I got through to the larger patrols where you control squadrons of ships. I think it's an amazing game. Especially when you consider the realistic and historically accurate content of the game. I found it both informative and to have a very enjoyable atmosphere. I will get back to it one when I next get back into an ancient galley warfare mood. Thanks Peter for making a game like this!! Total War and that other matrix title which is really just board game rules that are too abstract to be realistic do not do galley warfare justice. This game is like a flight simulator on the water really.

I should add that you do really need to do the earlier missions in order to understand how to play the larger missions... their is a learning curve and the game builds to the big battle. This game is a lesson in historical galley warfare tactics and how the ancients carried them out. It is a simulator. My point is that I like that I was forced to learn how to row and manoever the ship before getting control of squadrons. This is realistic, ships run into each other and foul up if you give the wrong commands. It's a great achievement if you will for one man and a ground up engine. It's only $10 or so and you get to see what things really would have been like. It's not perfect and you really have to learn in order to get the most out of it. Not for everybody I guess. But for those that want to see what Total War should have been like. This game I think is really good.

It is one of those games though that you have to do the missions again until you figure things out properly to finish them.
THe author I believe lectures on the subject. The game plays like one of his lectures according to another on steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/766460/Trireme_Commander/

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/on-stranger-tides-an-interview-with-dr-peter-turcan/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on October 11, 2018, 07:06:32 AM

It is one of those games though that you have to do the missions again until you figure things out properly to finish them.
THe author I believe lectures on the subject. The game plays like one of his lectures according to another on steam.

Sounds good to me.  I'm sure I'll get it soon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/766460/Trireme_Commander/

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/on-stranger-tides-an-interview-with-dr-peter-turcan/

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Looks very interesting. A little more atmosphere would be nice, some fire, soldiers, shouting, etc. Maybe a, "Commander... Peter... You're screwed". Could be a winner.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MC

Quote from: Gusington on October 12, 2018, 12:32:41 PM
...just when I thought it was safe to post again.

That is a rather stern reply oar maybe it isn't? Not sure about that. Maybe I'll just bow out of this conversation.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

Hang in there, Gus.....they are attempting to trireme your patience. Row with it, baby   O0

bobarossa

Destraex

I should just bow and then give you all a stern warning. But that's jarheads job and he needs to eat salamis to do it.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

I just need to know: sail I buy it, or not?   It shore seams to be a fair buy.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs