Close Combat Bloody First (new 3D engine) now on steam and facebook BETA call

Started by Destraex, May 06, 2019, 07:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

BETA sign ups for close combat the bloody first are now a thing on facebook for this game. The game is now listed on steam. I would still guess they are many months off though. I'd say 6-12 months actually.
I have a long history way back to Sulla and close combat.org. Loved gold juno sword mod for close combat the best. Been following the bloody first since it was announced. Loving the similar steed division 2 at the moment. Also own most of the combat mission games.

Just looking at the trailer the game is extremely US centric. Which if I recall correctly the original was, from a campaign perspective.

The trailer also mentions men but does not mention women, cats, dogs or sea lions. So am a bit confused about that.   :o

Here is hoping that they use the sounds from close combat 1.

Some features I liked:
* Multiplayer allows for Co-Op play vs. the AI
* New sound effects
* For the first time the armed forces of Italy appear in an official release
* 1 Grand Campaign, 3 Theatre Campaigns (Tunisia, Sicily and Normandy), 11 Operations and 36 battles
* Completely revised 3D that bring a whole new look and feel to the classic Close Combat gameplay. The new 3D engine allows an increased level of detail (down to the the specific types of ammunition used by each weapon) and more realistic movement and projectile physics.

Link to the steam store:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/811880/Close_Combat_The_Bloody_First/

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

I have been trying to get in for a while now. Funny thing is. When it comes to Matrix games I have always had trouble getting into their BETA's because there is some sort of disconnect between email addresses. Last time I tried to get into a BETA, I asked privately a second time and the gent said that I was already in 3 months ago did I not get the message lol.

No hurry for me on this one. Fingers crossed but expectations are low for me - like a hollywood movie. I am not expecting a polished shiney battlefield 3. Why? Because if I think like this, I cannot be disappointed. Then my hopes go up again because some of the features are the first really new features in a close combat game that are not incidental for 20 years. !!!   

Good to see a steady hand is in the hot seat giving feedback.

JasonPratt

All right! A Close Combat Bloody First Booty cal-----

....wait, sorry, too late at night here, eyes blurred some oo's from one line to another.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IronX

It certainly looks very nice. If the gameplay is solid, this could get me back into the series.

IICptMillerII

I'm also looking forward to this game. I haven't played the original Close Combat games a lot, but what I have played I've enjoyed. They're great games to pick up and play through a battle in 20 minutes or so, with decent historical accuracy and realism. Plus, I always liked the sound effects and the operational layer to the campaigns.

I was a bit dismayed at how much time went by during the development without hearing any word. Glad to see that they are making good progress!

Destraex

From about 38mins in close combat and a close combat interview is shown. The first thing I notice is that they admit to speeding things up, but this can of course be slowed down. They are say they have added a fire direction indicator, I thought this was in the originals but it has been so long.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/433955971?t=40m08s

Destraex

I see coop vs AI is not a thing according to the dev on the twitch stream on release but was listed as a feature? That was the only real new feature I could see that I was interested in. Focus on 1v1 close combat has been done before many times.

Also a little concerned about the speed being turned up.

Coop vs AI was THE feature I wanted. Otherwise why not play combat mission?

al_infierno

Looks great!  Can't wait to get my hands on this.  I wasn't too impressed with the last few games in the series but this looks awesome.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Probably just me, but the issue I had with the existing games was the fact hard to see your infantry.....looking at this video, although they have the icons for infantry, still a little surprised to see the infantry are still somewhat hard to see.

acctingman

I'm not very familiar with this series but this looks like a scaled down version of Steel Divisions? Someone more educated than myself, please tell me if that's a comment from someone less informed?  :bd:

al_infierno

Quote from: acctingman on June 03, 2019, 09:11:06 PM
I'm not very familiar with this series but this looks like a scaled down version of Steel Divisions? Someone more educated than myself, please tell me if that's a comment from someone less informed?  :bd:

I would say it's more like Combat Mission but scaled down and streamlined into a bit more of an RTS-ey game.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jomni

During its heyday, it's one of the best depiction of morale in a tactical game.

JasonPratt

Quote from: al_infierno on June 03, 2019, 09:48:46 PM

I would say it's more like Combat Mission but scaled down and streamlined into a bit more of an RTS-ey game.

Or rather, CM (since it came later) was scaled up into a turn-based wego system played more 3d than at top-down 2d. But a lot of the gameplay principles, and even the tactical UI, were the same as in Close Combat.

CC did have the advantage of having campaign management, which CMx1 never had (aside from something like RobO's campaign generator, which was a realllly nice excel spreadsheet program.) CMx2 and onward have operational campaigns, but CC's were dynamic, from CC2 onward.

(This was the big selling point of Matrix's CM-competitor Panzersomething... um.... there were two versions eventually combined into Ostfront. Panzer Command? It was an arguably better looking Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin, with a few less bells and whistles -- no ability to enter buildings for example which is kind of important for infantry! -- but with a dynamic campaign system.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

-budd-

Looks good to me. They did say you could play the campaigns in MP, but just 1vs1. I thought it was new that you could switch out parts of your squad, like add more bazooka's or other speciality weapons to individual squads. The pathing from what I could see was better, of course how could it be worse. There's a pause feature, and you can speed it up or slow it down on demand. Looks like you can zoom down pretty well, and add the black outline for units like the old games. They didn't talk much about modding, just that you could adjust parameters of the units, nothing about creating new units or maps. I have to see more, especially the AI .
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.