Fog:Emp multiplayer 2 -- BARBARIANS ARISE (game 2 running)

Started by JasonPratt, September 15, 2019, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tuna on November 08, 2019, 09:37:51 AM
Remember, if anyone is 'last', that means when they go to do their turn, they can immediately do their next turn after that.

Just done!  :D

Fortunately, the Seluks decided to heck off and deal with problems elsewhere. I have no intentions of kicking that table, not until I settle Arabia anyway. They kind-of foolishly went to war with me (and thus with Blucher-Qat), but then they're also rather stuck in a corner and we must look like the least difficult problem. I feel sad for them. They'll feel better once under my benevolent management.  :coolsmiley:

Blucher should have plenty of room to work out collecting Arabia Orientalis; and then south across the sea to Abyssinia minor as our foothold into Africa.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Sorry guys, I know I'm the last one but I'm unable to log into my Slitherine account.  It just gets better and better. ::)

Bart: It seems that I can't fight the Picts on their home turf, not with my current army anyway.  We'll need to spend a few dreary exciting turns building armies of units that can fight in hills.  Of course, with the building selection being randomised that could take some time. ::)

Also it didn't help that you couldn't feed my army. :P

Also: why was my army exhausted?  That seriously hindered their ability to fight.  If it's because of a lot of marching I wish the game would indicate that somehow.

Huw the Poo

OK your turn is ready now chaps.

Also: in my last battle I had a load of ranged units and they didn't do anything in the ranged attack phase.  Why?

Barthheart

Just did turn 15. Fought the Picts and was doing well but they just had too many troops, so I lost. Is there a way to withdraw from battle?

Huw: You might have been exhausted because you didn't get fed, but also the first round of combat is ranged weapons and they will inflict exhaustion on your units before the hand to hand stuff starts.

Anyone: Is there a way to move the populous around? I need more people in my new lands to make food so they can start to make farms for more food... with only 1 Pop they can't build anything or they starve....

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Barthheart on November 12, 2019, 02:58:15 PM
Huw: You might have been exhausted because you didn't get fed, but also the first round of combat is ranged weapons and they will inflict exhaustion on your units before the hand to hand stuff starts.

Yeah, and mine didn't fire at all for some reason.

Barthheart

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 12, 2019, 03:00:08 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 12, 2019, 02:58:15 PM

Yeah, and mine didn't fire at all for some reason.

Well sometime they do no damage... sometime a lot... not sure if we can force it one way or another... fickle basturds!  :tickedoff:

Huw the Poo

They didn't even fire, there was no animation or anything.

Tuna

In the British Isles you definitely need to build your armies 'before' attacking. Not sure on the range units, I thought they always try  to fire, but sometimes the other side's don't. I wonder if they are exhausted they don't

Range units never 'kill'.. they just weaken the opponent.

I'm surprised one of you guys didn't do Hibernia. Are you allied? If so, you could make both of your Armies attack at once. Not sure 'who' would get the credit for the attack, but at least then maybe you're Armies would be strong enough for the win.

JasonPratt

There's no way to withdraw from the fight manually. Sometimes the general will withdraw after minor losses, saving most of your forces from an expected crushing rout.

I don't understand why archers wouldn't be shooting either, unless they were 'red' going into the battle, which makes them unable to fight offensively?

I wish there was some way to get populations shifted around, but there doesn't seem to be. I had thought setting up provinces would allow this, but it doesn't. The provinces do seem to help in sharing some resources.

A 1-pop province is definitely a problem. You just about can't do anything with a province until it has 3 worker groups. This makes playing Rhaetia, for example, a real challenge, because the capital starts with only one or two worker groups, and it gets raided a lot so while it's never depopulated it's easy to go back to only one or two groups on a regular basis (and to have your slowly-carved properties wiped out.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Looking at the map just now, I'd say the Britons are doing very, very well this early in the game! -- considerably better than I am, and I thought I was doing great!

The Brigands are struggling to be sure. I'd consider going to war with each other temporarily to allow the Brigs to pick up some Britania Superior regions so you can province up. Also, the Brits may donate gold to you for purposes of letting you buy mercs if you can get one of those camps set up somewhere. Your northern areas should totally concentrate on food, nothing else, don't try building anything yet, and have strong garrisons (either mercs for from your Brit allies) to fend off raids. Once you can get three workgroups in a region, you can start hepping up on construction. Meanwhile, if you somehow have infrastructure points already spend them on infrastructure or on food producing properties whichever is cheaper.

Another point to the Brits donating gold to you, is that you will eventually open up options to import workers or raise troops by governmental event, which can help you bootstrap into solvency.

Huw the Poo

Bart I'm on my way but my army took a kicking in that independent province for some reason, so I may need to let them heal a turn or two before committing them.

Barthheart

Any help is welcome help. It's my province this time so maybe that will help...?  :notworthy:

JasonPratt

Blucher looks like he had to recoup from a bad loss to indies, too, down in southeast Arabia. I haven't seen any new expansion from you there in a while, Qatabia!

I'm doing okay (after my own somewhat unexpected loss to "Arabia" the faction), but man there are some craaaaaazy things going on in North Arabia! The Seluks sent a task force down to our borders, then withdrew some time ago. This turn I noticed that the regions behind their border territory have gone independent again! -- so their one lone guy is trapped in a desert region in the middle of Arabia! Meanwhile, the Antagonids somehow managed to get a force as far as Babylon, now partly surrounded and totally cut off by the Seluks. It's a madhouse, a maaaadhouse!

Blucher

Yeah my army got destroyed twice, trying to rebuild now. Maybe third times a charm? The Arabian army looks gigantic. I am happy the Seluk presence in the peninsula has diminished.

JasonPratt

I noticed this turn the Seluks, in that now-isolated desert heart territory, had built one heavy infantry unit which BY ITSELF had 12 power. That's kind of hilarious! And scary.

I'm matching up well with Arabia's army right now, so don't worry; they won't be getting through by that route.

I wonder if I should set up a navy to blockade their port areas? I mean, the answer is obviously yes, in principle, but should I be putting my resources toward that right now?